Will DropTeam require online activation ?

Type98

Playing network games requires logging in against our account server
Thanks for the reply. So LAN games (including the server option under the standalone tab) would also require an Internet connection to verify user accounts prior to play ?

I was going to get the download version but I hate to say it the activation has put me off altogether. I use the web a totally seperate PC.

What type of copy protect will be on the game disk? I really hate to ask such questions, and wish I did not have too. But thee are some copy protection schemes that I will not support under any circumstances.

Sorry to ask, but I would like to get this one.

Cheers MarkL

MarkL, both the download and the cd version are protected with eLicense (this applies to the Windows version only by the way). eLicense is primarily an online activation system, but it does allow you to activate a game off-line, too (though it's a little more work). How this works is described on the page Clay linked to above.

In short: you install the game on the computer you'd like to play on even if it has no internet access, generate a license request, copy that request (e little text file) to a computer with internet access (e.g. the one you use to post this and/or to download the game) and license the game from there, then copy back the license (again, a small text file) to your off-line computer.

No cd is required to play, and there are no restrictions as to copying the game etc. ELicense simply enforces that you cannot have any more than 2 installations of the game active at the same time.

The cd version is using the exact same system.

Martin

There are a few questions I have about this system:

1. Everytime I buy a new system or move the license to another computer, do I have to do this via the Internet. In other words, is the license file keyed to the computer and the 2 computer limitation managed by a server on the Internet.

I am concerned about this form of licensing as companies go out of business and I update my computer every 2 years. I have had issues with this form of licensing in the past. I am currently going thru this because I activated a game on my desktop and my laptop. I just bought a new computer and activated the game a 3rd time. A week later, I installed a new sound card (instead of using the onboard) and bang, the game thinks its a new computer and wants to activate again (now the licensing company is giving me a hard time because I want to activate a 4th time (2 times in a week). I am now thinking of upgrading my video card to play Ghost Recon but am concerned that the licensing company will now see another activation.

2. Since the Linux version does not use this activation method, does that mean if I purchase and download the game (the website says that the download includes all 3 versions) I can play now and not have to wait until June 1st to play (because there is no need to activate)?

1. yes, it's managed online.

You won't have the problems you described, because you can "unlicense" at any time. This frees up the already used license, so you can unlicense and relicense without limitation as often as you want. You could even unlicense, sell the game on ebay (with the key) and other people can use that and still have their two full activations.

As for the danger of going out of business... if this would happen, we will release an unprotected version of the game for everybody to enjoy.

2. You have to wait until June 1st, because the downloads only will be available then. At the moment, if you try to download, it will tell you that the game is not yet available for download.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

One question:

1. I have created an online account but for whatever reason it's saying my user ID and password are invalid. How can I reset my password? etc. I tried to just create a different online account but then I get a message saying my license is already bound to my other userID password. Thanks.

Los..

[ June 03, 2006, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Los ]

Hi Kurtz, no there isn't. But our database remembers your license, and even if you did forget to unlicense, chances are the you can re-license on the same computer when a license was previously installed. It doesn't always work, but most of the time, and if it doesn't work, email elicense@battlefront.com and we'll tweak a few settings to make it work.

Martin