LAN play: how many copies required?

pilgrim

Actually "dad + 1" son should work, because the eLicense will allow you to have two simultaneous installations at the same time. Unless there are other technical reasons which Clay would know MUCH better than me smile.gif

Martin

"Dad + 0.5" actually. You can eLicense 2 copies, but you can only login for network play with the 1 account that corresponds to your product key. So, on your 2 licensed computers, 1 could play online while the other plays standalone, but they couldn't both play online at the same time.

:confused:

Combining this thread, Moon's Dad +1 comment, and your Dad + 0.5 comment, with the "Online Activation" thread leaves me a bit confused.

Let's completely ingore Online play for right now. Let's say I have 3 pc's in my house, and two of the boys and I want to sit down and play. Not online -- just a game against each other on our own LAN in the house.

I'm don't understand whether the eLicense lets two of us play, 1.5 of us play ... tongue.gif -- somebody gets to use either the mouse or the keyboard, but not both tongue.gif -- or more than that, since we're not authenticating against the online server.

Sorry for my denseness, but this is a bit important to me. The public beta swung me from a Never-Buy-It-at-That-Price to a Very-Possible buy, but now I'm not sure exactly what I would need.

Thanks!

A slight bump to hopefully get an anwer before the pre-order offer expires.

To sum up... Ignoring _online_ play, just consider a local game at home on a LAN: what do I need to buy in order for 3 people to play simultaneously?

It took a while to respond because your question sparked some internal discussions here, Pilgrim.

The way it works right now, LAN and online play work exactly the same way: they require that each person who wants to play have his own licensed copy of DropTeam. Therefore you would need to buy 3 copies of DropTeam in order to play on your LAN with your 2 sons.

We've been talking this over and we feel that this is too restrictive. Therefore, we're changing the way accounts work in DropTeam so that each licensed copy of DropTeam allows you to create TWO accounts instead of one. This means that if you buy one copy of DropTeam, then you and one of your sons can play together on the LAN or on the Internet. If all 3 of you want to play at the same time, you will need to buy 2 copies of DropTeam.

Sorry that it took a while to respond - we were hashing all of this out on our end so I didn't want to post before we had a real answer for you.

While either approach is reasonable from a business stand-point, I feel like the route you've taken is a good approach to garner customers (and customer loyalty). The other seems only to emphasize potential short-term gain.

I mean, the question didn't even apply to me and yet the resolution makes me want to buy things from you guys. You guys are great :D

Cameroon, if I could step back and see the forest instead of the trees, I'd probably have to agree with you. However, I'm stuck in the middle of it, and all I can see is trees. smile.gif For me, there's not much difference between 1 and 2 seats per license, since there are 3 of us, so either way we need more than one copy of a game. I haven't bought a full-price game since CMBO, and I've never bought 2 copies of a full-price game. I'll admit that I certainly got my money's worth out of CMBO, and there are very, very few games that I can say that about, even buying the rest of them at a discount. But, two copies is just too expensive.

However, taking a couple of steps back to look at things outside of my personal situation, I'll freely admit that what they've done is very generous. Even more so, to have a team discussion and to make such a significant change in policy this late in the ball game shows a very resposive attitude toward customer satisfaction. While the answer isn't exactly what I (greedily) (personally) wanted, it's an answer for which the DropTeam guys should be commended, since it does show a desire for long-term customer relationships.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed Dropteam 1.0 on my computer and my son's. Only one of us was allowed to register for online play. Can you provide direction for how two people on two computers can register for online play?