Public Beta

Draykor

Well, with that War on Terror game and some car wrecking ame, it is obvious what you're getting into when you purchase it. It's a mainstream title and unfortunately they have gone down hill in the last 5 years where gameplay becomes retread and publishers don't feel like trying something new. I am sure the developers had some awesome ideas for fresh ideas that were axed by the producer/publisher types. This is the state of main stream games today. That is why everyone is here afterall aren't they? Battlefront goes against the grain and doesn't make games to appeal to those that want graphics over gameplay. They can find a nice in between. Fortunately, the indie game market is now booming, you just have to search for it. This will eventually make its way back to the mainstream market and the quality and gameplay of games will go back up again.

Originally posted by Matt H:

Well, with that War on Terror game and some car wrecking ame, it is obvious what you're getting into when you purchase it. It's a mainstream title and unfortunately they have gone down hill in the last 5 years where gameplay becomes retread and publishers don't feel like trying something new. I am sure the developers had some awesome ideas for fresh ideas that were axed by the producer/publisher types. This is the state of main stream games today. That is why everyone is here afterall aren't they? Battlefront goes against the grain and doesn't make games to appeal to those that want graphics over gameplay. They can find a nice in between. Fortunately, the indie game market is now booming, you just have to search for it. This will eventually make its way back to the mainstream market and the quality and gameplay of games will go back up again.

One indie game worth looking out for is Mount & Blade. Just a tip for all jaded gamers out there. Itdoesn't come close to beating Combat Mission but it's fun for a while.

//Salkin

Originally posted by Salkin:

One indie game worth looking out for is Mount & Blade. Just a tip for all jaded gamers out there. Itdoesn't come close to beating Combat Mission but it's fun for a while.

//Salkin

That shows a whole heap of promise. Thanks for the link.

Am I reading the information in this thread correctly? According to Moon the beta will be available for download, and according to the interview on Gamecloud the beta testers are playing the game right now. I'm confused. Is there going to be a public beta? I sure hope so.

Originally posted by Moon:

Yup, a public multiplayer beta is planned, and in fact, will be released shortly. As in days not weeks. We're preparing the announcements right now.

Martin

Technically we're talking weeks now. ;)

edit: original announcement was Feb 23/2006.

How do you define a week on a different planet? Is the year divided into 52 weeks or is a week 7 local days? I think the BFC definition of weeks is:

#define WEEKS "when it is done"

The great thing about this is that this is portable, it works the same way on every planet... ;)

Originally posted by Preserved Killick:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

Yup, a public multiplayer beta is planned, and in fact, will be released shortly. As in days not weeks. We're preparing the announcements right now.

Martin

Technically we're talking weeks now. ;)

edit: original announcement was Feb 23/2006. </font>

Praise the ______!,an OS X battlefront game. Now.. to see whether my Quicksilver can handle it is another matter (800DP, 1.5GB RAM, w/ATI 9000 [VRAM 128MB]. I realize I'm a bit under spec but I'm going to give a go anyway.

Well, played a few games with the beta, so here goes:

This game is far more accessible than T-72 was. Being able to easily control a vee is paramount to a good experience in this kind of game. The modeling of the various kinds of shells is wonderful. The artillery was surprsingly easy to control, and I was able to properly manually adjust ranges within a few minutes of getting used to the system, without even touching the readme. I haven't yet experimented with total manual aiming for the DF cannons (20mm, 76mm, 120mm), but I've had to use it to shoot down dropships, 'cause the auto system doesn't allow for any actual lead on targets.

I was a little disappointed by the ineffectiveness of 120mm HE on lightly-armored vehicles, such as the Shrike and Paladin. Are the large HE rounds mainly for defeating external systems, such as wheels and reads, or have I totally missed something?

HE is mostly useful against buildings (and of course the upcoming infantry). It can be effective against components such as tires but you're better off using HEAT rather than trying to target specific parts of a target with HE. HEAT will kill a tire just fine and in case you hit the chassis instead you're still more likely to do some good... smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Scott this is pretty much the Hammers Slammers game every geek, or geek wanna be is going to love. The Thor's are big and slow, the hover tracks are fast and loose, the damage modelling is super duper. I think there's enough for everyone. I want them to release more bits and pieces though, I want to see how it all fits together.

As soon as you can, play the Beta or get the full game, it'll please.