Informative chatter...

Jack Carr

When I look at the screenshots for DropTeam, I get the impression that there will be background noise, something along the lines of vehicle to vehicle communications that are heard by the player or maybe alerts when one vehicle spots a potential threat and then informs other units in their area. Have the developers anounced anything along the lines of sound in the game? I don't want to bring in a specter from another game, but I would think that something like Borg spotting, so often mentioned as a problem in the Combat Mission games, would actually be realistic in futuristic combat.

Just curious.

Borg Spotting is only available to players who are using command & control units such as the Mercury Command Track. These players automatically receive threat data from friendly units (via a variety of communications mechanisms ranging from neutrino transceivers all the way down to ground induction, so it's widely available even on the "noisy" battlefield). This means that when someone else on the team spots an enemy unit, the player with a command & control unit ALSO sees that enemy unit.

This is not true of all other unit types. Except for the specific exception of command & control units, you do NOT see enemy units simply because some other friendly unit sees them. Each unit has its own, isolated view of the battlefield. The best you can do in these cases is talk with other friendly units, alerting them to enemy movements as best you can, or even go so far as to place markers on the tactical display for your entire team to see (these markers are visible to all friendlies in a network game). Using a microphone headset, it's quite efficient to call out enemy units as you spot them, and pretty exciting to hear a friendly shout to you over the network "Enemy MBT's over the ridge in front of you!" even though YOU can't see them yet.

• 2 weeks later...