First Person?

RSColonel_131st

Yes, RSColonel, that's what it means. In fact, that's what you always do, i.e. even if all you want to do is focus on the tactical stuff, you'd be dropping in a vehicle first. You could drop a Comman or artillery vehicle for example, park it somewhere safe and focus on the tactical map, dropping sensors, mines and giving orders etc. You can also jump between vehicles (i.e. take direct control from the AI) at any time.

Martin

Any chance for a "dead is dead" option that will end the game if your person is killed
You could play with a small enough inventory that there are no extra units available other than what you and your team mates initially drop with. This is what some of the single player campaign scenarios are like, but we haven't been playing multiplayer this way so far in beta testing. It sounds like an interesting variation - we'll have to try it out.

Even then, if there's no vehicles left, you can still command, right?

I don't know if you're familiar with the Battlezone Games. They took the first-person-commander idea really to the logical end.

In them, to get an overview (top-down view) of your units so that you could effectivly command them, you had to find yourself a satellite uplink station, leave your vehicle, walk and log into it.

Then you got a map of the area. But while you were doing that, you could get killed by battle around.

If you'd rather wanted to lead from the front, you could get killed even easier, and then the mission was over as well.

Basically, in those games, you were the commander, but also a very real "unit" on the field of battle. If your life ended, you obviously lost the mission.