15 new screenshots posted!

Madmatt

Jussi, besides the fact that we're still in early beta, you should by now know that our games are "gameplay first and looks second" smile.gif

There is more in the DropTeam engine than just "pretty" - for example deformable terrain and a real physics engine simulating gravitation, atmospheric density and many other environmental variables. The fact that all of this works on PC, Mac and Linux for maps which are hundreds of sqkm underlines how flexible and unique the engine is.

What is also not apparent in the screenshots of course is the incredible team-play engine. You can give and receive orders to other players and the AI, drop sensors and drones, set waypoints and so forth. This isn't a mind-numbing RTS or FPS that the TBG guys are cooking up here, and hopefully soon we'll be able to show more than just a few quick snapshots from the weekly BFC slugfests ;)

Martin

Hi All,

I agree "gameplay first and looks second". But I also agree about the graphics. In this day and age, with the power of the chipsets and graphics cards that are available, there is no reason to not have good graphics as well as good gameplay.

I am a dedicated realtime tactical wargamer, but I also love good graphics. So much so, that if a game does not have a goodly amount of both, I will probably not buy it. So what you say, go and play something else. Point is, wargamers are becoming more discerning. I want it all. And there are a lot more out there like me.

Inject some colour (camo), and give the vehicles good definition/detail, and you will have even more of a winner. After all, we talk about using real physics etc, look at the camo schemes that real armies use, in real life.

It is definitely not my intent to be negative. Just trying to offer some constructive help.

regards

sunray

smile.gifsmile.gif

What would you say the tempo is? Time enough to use your brain or relatively straigh-forward?

The bottom line is that the idea of DropTeam is that you win by using your brain not just your mouse. Achieving objectives is less a matter of "hand-eye skill" with aiming and firing weapons and more a matter of keeping the right kind of units in the right place at the right time.

As for the tempo, this is largely a matter of choice. You can, for example, land a command unit behind friendly lines and direct the battle from a distance, spending most of your time on the tactical map, issuing orders to units and using the "observer mode" to watch the battle from friendly units' point of view rather than being embroiled in the front-line fighting yourself. Or you can choose to raise the tempo and drop straight into the thick of it without taking much time to reflect (though this is pretty suicidal). Even when you're fighting directly, if you take the time to manuever carefully, using hull-down positions, flanking the enemy, and coordinating with your team, then you're going to be far more effective than a lone wolf who simply drives into the action without thinking.

Many of the screenshots do have a more polished look than some of the others, that is because the game is still in early alpha/beta mode.

Looking forward to seeing the screenshots as the game nears completion smile.gif Never the less though, the game has many interesting points, the physics being key that make me look forward to this game moreso than the graphic appeal.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,,as many of us already know there have been a bunch of so called "Beautiful ragdoll,Karma physics,Water reflection" graphic games which are no fun at all,,,Take the Cm series,,,Doesn't compare to Command ad conquer Generals or Codename Panzers but it is so much better,,,I mean the sounds, units,terrain the satisfaction of seeing a well planned attack or defense work,,,that is fun,,,so lets keep our shirts on,,It may not compare to Unreal 2005 in looks,,but it will be a lot more fun...I know BF.com won't let us down,,,they haven't yet!!!