Battlefront.com and TBG Software announce new game! DropTeam!

Madmatt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I won't be playing anything that's Real Time, I have wondered if BFC have considered...

At some point, when CMx2 sales have dropped below a certain level, (once CM 3 takes over) re-releasing a made-over version of Cmx2 - which does in fact feature well armed space lobsters?

I think there'd be a market out there for it, a different one from BFC's usual. And having been exposed to a CM-style system, some of that market will migrate to BFC's historical games.

I suppose it depends on how much work would be required to convert the original CMx2 into a Space-Marine, laser-blasters and weird terrain type-game.

I'm saying this because I don't think it'd be much. (Just think of all the historical research you wouldn't have to do... and I'm betting the CM 'community' would lend a claw).

Sorry if this has been an inappropriate place to raise this. But I wanted to plant the seed of Project Lobster, somewhere.

"They’re in here. They’re in here alright. There’s something moving in here – and it ain’t us!"

Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

Funny you should mention Ogre... or the Keith Laumer Bolo books that they were based on...

Lets just say, that idea is not a new one to us...

Madmatt

Go ahead, make my day. :D </font>

So we'll be able to create our own 3D models? Wrap them into our own textures? and manage objects via XML?

I am getting this wrong or we will be able to create completely different games with the Drop Team engine?

I am getting this wrong or we will be able to create completely different games with the Drop Team engine?
It's quite extensible, but there are plenty of things you can't change just by modding. There has to be supporting code for basic behavior, but you can mod with XML and models for content. For example, since the physics engine already has code for wheeled vehicles, you can create new wheeled vehicles, with any number of wheels in any configuration you like, from trikes to 18-wheeler rigs to funky spheres with wheels on top and bottom like some of the exotic designs for Mars Rovers, etc. without a problem. But since the physics engine does not have any code for, say, walking units, you could not create a new "mech" type of unit by simply modding. So, in other words, you can mod to create new or changed versions of existing types of units, but you can't create entirely new types of units (usually, anyway, depending on how creative you are.)

The physics engine itself is also extensible, though, so you can expect us to be releasing new types of units in the future (which would then be available to you for modding.)

You also can't do very much with types of scenarios by modding. You can create your own scenarios that take place on any kind of planet, tweaking the gravity, atmosphere, topography, foliage, and fluid parameters to your heart's content, but you're pretty much stuck with the "game types" that the supporting code understands. For example, you would not be able to create a scenario with an objective of "Kidnap the enemy dignitary" unless the underlying code already understood that type of objective.

On the other hand, with modding you could easily introduce, for example, a set of authentic WWII AFV's with correct driving and combat performance characteristics, and in that sense play an "entirely different game". But due to the "game type" limitation I listed above, you might see some players dropping their Sherman tanks from dropships. This might give you a Historical Bifurcation Seizure, which can be deadly, so don't do it.

I see. That is what I had in mind in the first place, and it does allow for A LOT of interesting add-ons. People, let's brace ourselves, time to fork out those funky space AFV design. Who wants to start working on a Anti-Artichoke Gun Carriage (AAGC)?

Now, although it sure sounds deadly, what in hell is a Historical Bifurcation Seizure? Some trekkie lingo?

Cheers

You know guys, its perfectly acceptable to ask questions in a NEW thread. Don't feel that just because I started this one you can't start new ones all on your own. :)

The developers are very open to comments and questions so if you have a cool idea or question, be sure to fire away in a new thread.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

You know guys, its perfectly acceptable to ask questions in a NEW thread. Don't feel that just because I started this one you can't start new ones all on your own. :)

I got a memo that said all messages about DropTeam were supposed to be placed in this thread...

This looks like that old classic game Battle Zone but with more options and better graphics.

The units amounts and types look similar though.

While some options are good there looks to be alot of similar options here to Battle zone.

Is BF going futuristic in games now or are you going to make a new WW2 CM version as well as other times / theatres?

CM works very well, turn based. I defy anybody to simulate the tactics which are possible under CM, with a RTS game. Unless you have better than average reactions and hand-eye coordination, it will be impossible to control more than a small handful of vehicles/infantry (are infantry included in the game?) working on wide-ranging axis, attempting multiple maneavoures.