new skins etc question

KiloAlpha4

Wish I could offer some help, Kilo, but alas....

Personally I would love to see some additional skins. I'm really surprised this thread hasn't attracted a lot more attention. Many games/sims are buzzing with modding fervor. T-72 is definitely a quality product, and as such one would imagine there would be a little more modding activity within the community. /shrugs

I wish I could offer some help, too, but can't. While modding is certainly allowed and I'd love to encourage it more, it is not as such supported by the devs, so I don't have any instructions. I know that somebody modded the GUI by simply replacing the texture, so perhaps that's all you need to do with the vehicle skins (but you cannot easily change the underlying 3d model).

If somebody finds out more about this, feel free to post it here. smile.gif

Martin

Thanks for posting but the gui texture is in tga format in the texture folders which is why it was easy to adjust the GUI, which I have myself modified for my own purposes ( I will release them later ). In order to extract skins for vehicles or buildings I need to extract the datapack.cd which is where they are stored as I can not find them any where else.I have no idea how to extract it and no one who made this game wants to extend it's life through allowing us to mod it I guess. I wanted to make some un (united nations) skins, winter skins and various other styles of skins as well as adjust textures of trees and ground and also buildings such as winter look etc for people who are making winter maps, as you can tell it what textures to use. I mean they allow us to make custom buildings and maps/scenarios so why not allow us to adjust the textures of the game ? I think the devs should release a tool to extract the datapack.cd like they do for games who use pak files where you can load the pak and extract what you want from the pack file. I would assume by placing the new textures into the texture folder that it would over ride the datapack.cd textures use but maybe that would be to convenient ?. The faster I can get into the textures the faster I can get started modding. As always, any help greatly appreciated.

[ January 04, 2006, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: KiloAlpha4 ]

• 3 months later...
The game is VERY open to modding by the way, with most textures, sounds, even scripts, using open formats for easy editing.
If somebody finds out more about this, feel free to post it here.
both quotes from moon to make sure that modding skins and such seems to be "ok" now.

"daskal"(a user here ;) ) made apearently some progress with the .cd files...until he "stoped" smile.gif

meybe if hes still around you could ask him how he did it, and what he found in there tongue.gif

@you1

i think you could also be interested in this fact...

good luck!