Colored Topografic Map(s)

Pandur

hi

since moon told me today that the "brief.bmp" maps are free to edit, after i asked about the possibility, i fired up paint and started right away.

the goal is to make the normaly white topografic maps colered, for a faster, and more comftable view of the map´s topografic properties.

i wasnt pleased with the plain whith, becouse you acually have to look at the height lines and stuff and thats not what a map is made for ;)

see yourself:

brief.jpg

(resized image of the first campain mission map)

its my first time doing such things in paint, so the colores may be somewhat of. it also took me about 3 1/2 houers for this map, so meybe the output for the other maps will be slow.

anyways, if someone wants to try it ingame(i cant, for the next 3 - 4 days) just drop your mail here, i will send it.

Pandur

EDIT:

s**t ! i looks like gmx got some problems righ now. IE also refuses to show me the picture. meybe i can find some other plac where i can host the image/file. i think i check out photobucket.

EDIT 2:

so i uploaded the file at photobucket. after resizing it looks somewhat messed up.

[ December 13, 2005, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

Hi Pandur,

yes, the maps are free to edit. In fact, this applies to most game elements, provided that they are distributed free of charge (what is called "modding"). The game is VERY open to modding by the way, with most textures, sounds, even scripts, using open formats for easy editing.

One additional word about maps: when you follow the tutorials to make your own custom missions, a BMP "briefing" file is generated automatically. But after that, you can edit it as you like, allowing for some interesting possibilities, like drawing in phase lines, or even adding "fake" and incorrect information and so on...

Martin

hi

hehe i allready noticed this section smile.gif

i got the user missions from there.

about hosting this stuff;

there is one issue i see with this maps.

i do this work on a WinME machine(cant install the game), using the lvl folder wich was sent to me by icq(from my friend where i play this game). so i have to do some guesswork wich of the height values are hills and dips(its not that easy; background is basicly white). i use the official screenshots as reference but it does not replace the need to drive around ingame, to controll if every dip is marked as one and the other way round(or at least look up the ones iam not sure about) becouse the screens dont show every last corner.

i cant think of another problem wich could come up.

so basicly this stuff is free for hosting but i cant garantee for 100% flawlessnes at the moment(and i dont want to be the one who give all these tankers here "wrong" maps ;) ). i can allready here them call me: doppelgänger!!!

as you can see above the first campain mission map is done, and iam half way through the 2nd. the 2nd is much tougher becouse there are much more hills and dips, so what i said above counts more towards the map wich should be done "relatively" soon.

finaly i think i will wait a bit with hosting this stuff @BFC becouse of the reasons above. BUT ofcourse, everyone can have the file by email to give it a first try.

on the other hand, if you could note next to the download that this map(s) are ready, but untested, and that feedback about wrong spots is highly requested(best would be in this thread), it could help alot to find those spots faster and more efficient. good thing is that there are just 1 or 2 wrong spots per map(means; spots iam not sure about), not more.

but that would be up to you.

thx for the offer;

greetings

Pandur

Hi,

thanks for the first feedback to my work, and its a positive one too :cool:

i find maps in such games a extremly valuable tool, and i was happy when i saw that BoF got verry well made "raw"* maps(*i hope it dont sounds "dumbed"). the map has to show you where to go unseen; the safest or fastest way to the safest, or best fireing positon(or away from it). and thats immideatly after you had a look.

the white maps are good, but it takes time to figure all that out, and so my idea came up... .

after the first map, i was verry pleased that it works to a good effect, so i will continue.

by the way; 3rd campain map is done...

5a441bef.jpg

(resized image of the 3rd campain mission map)

EDIT:

i forgott to mention! in this map is a relatively big amount of brush and woods added, when compared to map 1 and 2. i found it verry important to include this information becouse of LoS and LoF, so i encircled the locations with a black line. everyone who saw the green hexagons once on a stock map will notice em on the map easylie.

greetings,

Pandur

[ December 15, 2005, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

hi :wave:

thx for the kind words smile.gif

iam feeling like i played TacOps4 for 24 houers(nothing against the game itself), i cant see anymore BMP´s until i wake up tomorrow.

for now, i finished the 5th campain lvl map

(i skiped the 4th for now, becouse it scared me after i saw all those lines. i need to be in a special mood to start this one)...

7975f8eb.jpg

(resized image of the 5th campain mission map)

good night; good fight

Pandur

EDIT:

those big dips ate all my green facettes, grrrrr!!!

so the "average" lvl is brown on this map. i hope its ok for you guys(i, personally like the green better for the average lvl and below; above brown and red).

and when i remember right we are suposed to defend the headquater(at least thats what i tryed/did)!? thats why i made the "headquaters" latters blue instad of red. it confused me the first time, that ouer "headquaters" got the same colour like "enemy position X". so i corrected this.

[ December 15, 2005, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

hi

thx, freya

about your "hint" for matt and moon for the addon; i thought that when the editor can generate a "back.bmp" wich contains the topographic information, but is in fact not visible. than it couldnt be "that hard"(i know i got no clue smile.gif ) to thell the editor to fill out the spaces between the lines with diferent colores by itself.

but again, meybe its not so easy.

about the maps;

i started to work on the 7th campain mission map right now, and it is expected to be finished today(hopefully).

@moon or matt

i got a question regarding to the 6th campain mission map. there is a "brief.bmp" and a "brief_s.bmp" in the folder. wich is the right one? and for what is the other one used?

greetings

Pandur

EDIT:

as i thought. the map with the powerplant was fast done.

78aa2da3.jpg

(resized image of the 7th campain mission map)

[ December 16, 2005, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]