1.3 demo thoughts and question about the full game.

PFMM

Firstly, as a long time fan of tank games (starting with M1 Tank Platoon and more recently Panzer Elite) thank you for allowing us the alternative of a T series tank to drive.

I held back from the previous version as I read of so many problems people were having and didn't want to spend 10 hours downloading something that wouldn't run.

Having finally played it to death and tinkered with the scripts and settings I'm impressed with how smoothly it plays and how good it looks even on my old 9200SE. It's also alot of fun.

My question is about the final package. In the demo whenever I tell the gunner to open fire he seems able to spot targets through forests, dense smoke, and even through the back of his own turret, and is also quite willing to fire at anything and everything in sight. Is their behaviour restricted or controlled to more realistic levels in the final game? The same rings true for the enemy tanks in the 'hit' scenario who openned fire on the infantry you meet at over 1000 meters and killed them all with a single burst of MG fire!

There is nothing worse than being unable to sight a target the gunner is enagaging when a dozen trees block your view, or impotently watching him shoot up bailed out tankers behind the tank at 1000 meters when a T55 is cresting the rise 300 meters in front.

Finally, I've been reading the board and noticed some people having trouble with the dual mode. I don't know if anyone has posted a solution but it's not a bug but more of an oversight.

If you go into the users folder you will find a file called user1.pd. Open it in wordpad and you see a structure like this

{_common;

stuff

}

{_driver;

stuff

}

{_gunner;

stuff

}

{_commander;

stuff with this bit of interest

//

key_duble_0, key, %VK_D%, 0, 0x0, 0x0, 0, 0, 1, 0, "Dual" mode;

key_duble_1, key, 0, 0, 0x0, 0x0, 0, 0, 0, 0, "Dual" mode;

key_duble_stop_0, key, %VK_D%, 0, 0x40, 0x40, 0, 0, 1, 0, "Dual" mode;

key_duble_stop_1, key, 0, 0, 0x0, 0x0, 0, 0, 0, 0, "Dual" mode;

//

}

Copy that bit interest into the bottom of

{_gunner;

stuff

}

Save the file (remember make a backup) and fire up the game, it should appear in the control settings. You should be able to disengage dual mode from the gunners position.

Hi PFMM,

both in the full version and the demo, you should be able to designate targets for the gunner to engage while you're in the commander's seat. Together with the ability to tell him to stop firing altogether, you should be able to keep him from going too trigger-happy.

As for spotting oddities, I wish my AI gunner was able to fire through smoke! I never noticed that. Perhaps the sight is not blocked when you use the IR view? What I did notice is that the AI sometimes spots enemy units although they are in between trees.

In general, AI spotting, just like all other skills, can be tweaked in the editor script files, like you did with dual mode.

Martin

Actually, its not a bug or an oversight. We had talked internally about whether or not Dual Mode should be toggle-able from the Gunner Station. As I recall, we decided to NOT allow the Gunner to turn it off as to do so sort of defeated the purpose of having the Commander taking control over the gun in the first place.

We were also considered that in multi-player mode, it might get annoying if the gunner kept turning off Dual Mode when the commander player enabled it. ;)

Now there is still an issue we are working on with Dual Mode and that involves the Azimuth Compass from the Commander view not updating properly but we are looking into getting that fixed and there is a pretty easy workaround for it.

Just aim commander straight ahead, order the gunner to rotate gun to front, enable and disable Dual Mode quickly. That will *recalibrate* the compass back.

Madmatt