Best Joystick for T-72?

Fellas,

I need some help. What joystick are you guys using with this sim? I'm in need of a new stick and T-72!

The Logitech Extreme™ 3D Pro Joystick caught my eye because of the programmability. I like programming my sticks for basic functions like: Lining the turret to the gun to face the enemy, popping smoke grenades, calling arty, air, etc.

Please let me know what you're using. Thanks.

I use mouse and keyboard for non-flying-sims like Bars. ;)

If you want a high quality and VERY VERY program able joystick, buy a HOTAS Cougar. It's a full metal stick, but I don't recommend it to use it with a ground simulation. It's more a joystick for Falcon 4 or Allied Force or something like that.

Here's a link anyway:

http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_product_details&pid=307

You can program every switch on the joystick how you want it... There are no limits. But this is not cheap. :D

But I think that a 15 Dollar stick from Microsoft or any other company is good enough for T-72. A 8 button stick plus throttle control can handle the job easily.

[ December 07, 2005, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Tanker0815 ]

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm probably going to go with something standard and not too expensive from Best Buy.

Do you guys really just use the keyboard & mouse? I really get into the SB gunnery range with a joystick...I just need a new one.

(the hand station in my Bradley was a joystick & that SB tank range brings back memories.) Thanks for the link & replies

I have an all USB CH-Products rig that I use with every game I play. From First Person Shooters to Flight Sims.

It is made up of a:

CH Pro Throttle ( I have custom key maps for all my different games and as I said, even use it for FPS's as I hate using a keyboard).

CH Pro Pedals (for rudder control)

CH CombatStick (I looked at the Fighterstick but it has too many hat switches.I prefer buttons)

Using the latest Configuration software from CH-Products, making up all new game maps for functions is simple and I can even print out the entire layout if I need a reminder what pushing UP on my third hatswitch does in Call of Duty 2. ;)

For the record, it throws a smoke grenade... smile.gif

Even though I can allow up to 6 different functions per button, I usually only set two (One normal and one "shifted"). If you were to max out on all the settings though you could configure well over 100 different controls with all the buttons and hats as the throttle allows you to toggle between 3 different "modes" which are indicated by a colored LED on the base.

Its a great rig, not too expensive and CH-Products have served me well for years. In fact, I still have an old gameport rig (rudders, throttle, joystick) that I would be willing to sell if anyone is interested.

Madmatt

Madmatt, you got me beat. In my prime I had the CH joystick & throttle gameport version & had everything programmed, it was awesome!

...then of all the crummy luck, I had a roof leak, it leaked into the throttle which caused everything to malfunction. I tried "fixing" the gear by spraying some radio shack TV Tuner cleaner (what was recommended for pots) into it. Everything was totally screwed after that.

CH products are good (when they're not destroyed!)

I might be interested in buying your old rig in a few months...(wife's a little mad at me at the present time for my current obsession with these tanksims). I'll let ya know.