Just got the full game - Outstanding Sim!

Tankbuster

Just had to let the devs and guys at Battlefront have some appreciation for producing this excellent sim. The game arrived in just four days from a distribution centre in Ireland to the UK. Installed fine and plays very well with all graphics set on highest at a res of 1024x768. I played the demo to death and have just finished the single player missions (must download the new ones) to get some training for the campaign. Once I figured out I had to turn the joystick off in Config to get the mouse to work right my single problem with the game setup vanished. The manual is well produced and gives a decent intro. to the basics, but a few more explanatory pics and text on the various gun sights, range finding and manual gunnery would have been useful.

The Tank Commander and Driver positions at the moment feel almost like a cheat if you set the gunner to scan and open fire. All you have to do is point the tank at the enemy and the gunner does the rest, and usually fairly accurately too!

Tank movement, sounds and damage all look and sound very good - this is way ahead of anything else out there in tank sim world, but then that would not be difficult as there are so few true tank sims around. I love the environment too, plenty of buildings, animals, trees, grass and sounds which all add to the atmosphere.

I think I am going to be happy with this one for a long while :D

Thanks! I'm really enjoying the little details - I mean who else would go to the trouble of filling fields with nodding sunflowers and gardens with moving veg! I just saw an APC get hit and burn and the guys inside spilled out the back all on fire - horrific, but amazing detail. When troops get hit by shells they go spiralling into the air with a scream, the tanks crews swearing when hit, the fact that my tank can get blown into the air and land in a crater with the crew partially intact (we still kept firing! ). I could go on, but I am starting to sound like a regular fanboy tongue.gif

'Es rasseln die Ketten, es dröhnt der Motor...'

Yes, yes, i want my favourite 'medium' tank, Vampir set not necessery tongue.gif

How much time and how many tries it took You befor You were able to destroy anything in 'real mission' not in gunnery practice smile.gif ? I needed about 4-6 hours to get familliar with game, and probably if i wouldnt be really sure that i was gonna play t-72 at all cost i would give up. In flight sim its going bit faster - i dont want to say that You are ace after one hour, but its simpler. Thats why ppl better like flight sims.

Beside what is so funny in riding on big ugly machine, through mud , water, and once per 10 secs shoot with cannon , huh ? :>

Originally posted by macker33:

What i cant figure out is why flight sims are more popular than tank sims.

Hmm, guess there's something special about the fascination of flying and make no mistake, a decent flight sim is something that's hard to ignore.

On the other hand a tank sim, if properly immplemented, offers a wider varity of missions and it demands a level of tactical expertise, especially concerning combined arms warfare, that's very different from flight sims and which is one of the things I really like about good tank sims. Unfortunately, many simmers have other priorities, so they don't appreciate tank sims as much as tank sims deserve.

True,theres definately more variety in tank sims,

I've 8 or 9 flight sims but how many times can you fly a mustang and still get a kick out of it.

Flght sims have been done to death,all them flight sims and not one decent WWII desert flight sim.

Imersions important too,i remember getting drawn into panzer commander more than any other game i ever played.

Just wait until i get my 3d glasses,will be rocking and rollin' then.

Sure enough, immersion is one of THE yardsticks for *any* good sim imo. Unfortunatley, immersion is what most of the recent sims are lacking in. This is even true for BoF to some extent, as there isn't any real character development for the player, no crew/platoon members you need to take care of and of course no dynamic campaign.

Recent sims tends to focus on the technical aspect, that is, simulating aircraft, tanks etc., but it doesn't really give the player the feeling that he/she is involved in a military conflict where he/she is only part of something bigger. In the end, those sims are feeling rather dry and hollow.

I would love to see a truly dynamic tank sim, be it WW2 (my favorite) or a Nato versus Warsaw pact scenario for example, with news flashes to keep the player up to date regarding the overall picture of the campaign. And reinforcements should also be modelled realistically: for instance if you loose too many tanks on some missions, your company later might have a tough time to do the job on hand.

What i cant figure out is why flight sims are more popular than tank sims.

Because making a good ground combat simulation is harder to do than a good air combat simulation. It took a long time until computers were powerful enough to allow nice, detailed terrain. And even after that it took time until infantry could be modelled. In flight simulators, all this is much less complicated. Terrain is just a background (and for a Pacific sim you don't need it at all) and there is no need for infantry.

Due to these reasons, flight simulators have been popular for the past 20 years, and it will take quite a lot of time until tank simulators can achieve comparable fan base.

Long time ago i had really great computer. Commodore C-64 II and C1541 floppy drive. It had 64 kb of memory, typical mobile phone today has 20 times more memory ;D.

I had tank sim - Steel Thunder , reallly great sim, i am serious. You could drive M48, M60 M1A1, Bradley. Your opponents were T-55/64/72/80, brdm, btm. Its construction was very similar to t-72 BiF - Player could change battlestations 'on the fly' - driver

steel_thunder_05.gif

gunner

steel_thunder.gif

we could customize ammo load

steel_thunder_04.gif

steel_thunder_-_m3.gif

Basically great game

sorry for my little offtopic ;0

Back to sims nowadays are to dry,the way i look at it is there should be something for everybody.

If its a battlefield experience you want you should try WWII tank commander,its got explosions and paratroopers falling from the sky and non stop explosions and bullits,Very cartoony.

I actually thik t72 has meat on its bones and i can buy into it but try the other game for a change.I got both the same day but i mostly play t72,theres a new panzer elite game coming out soon so maybe that can live half ways between t72 and wwii tank commander.

Well, to make a game or sim that will suit virtually everbody is impossible imo. For the mayority of players, a sim always will be either too hardcore or too arcadish.

I think on of the main reasons that recent sims has become *dry* is that too much efforts are made for multiplay gaming while sacrifying a solid campaign for single playing. Playing such games in single player mode just feels hollow.

Well yeah,if you suit one person another person will want to be suited the opposite,compromise and you will end up being accused of making something that is neither one thing or another.

I'm really really glad t72bof is the way it is and i dont think its dry at all,a bit on the tough side though.

Its definately a new benchmark in tank games.

Originally posted by Schmeisser:

Long time ago i had really great computer. Commodore C-64 II and C1541 floppy drive. It had 64 kb of memory, typical mobile phone today has 20 times more memory ;D.

I had tank sim - Steel Thunder , reallly great sim, i am serious. You could drive M48, M60 M1A1, Bradley. Your opponents were T-55/64/72/80, brdm, btm. Its construction was very similar to t-72 BiF - Player could change battlestations 'on the fly'

Basically great game

sorry for my little offtopic ;0

This was more game than sim, though. IIRC you went into action solo? Microprose's M1 Tank Platoon game had semi-realistic force compositions and the enemy used Soviet doctrine (or claimed to). Some complained about the "vector graphics" in Microprose's game - the Wargamer had an indepth review of Steel Thunder by an actual US armor officer. He hated vector graphics so he turned his nose up at M-1, but gave Steel Thunder high marks because the engine start up sequence was accurate. :rolleyes:

Having owned Panzer Commaner, M-1 Tank Platoon II, M4, Muzzle Velocity and a couple others, I've yet to see a tank sim that comes close to the sheer fun of M-1 Tank Platoon. Had they simply updated the graphics it would have been a blast to play. The same thing happened when they updated Red Baron II from Red Baron; somehow all the fun got sucked out of it in the process.

you'd think everybody would buy a top game.

Yes, that's true, but obviously not everybody has bought this game. Seems like tank sims aren't as popular as flight sims after all. I also suspect that at least some people are put off by the campaign theme.