Question about English version Documentation

Blond_Knight

Hello Blond_Knight, the english version has two PDF files that deal exclusively with the mission and map editors (in the DOCS folder in the game installation directory in case someone cannot find it): one tutorial for beginners, and another for more advanced mission editing. The first tutorial is 16 pages, the latter is 51 pages, including screenshots and examples. Essentially, it's a walkthrough that follows the making of a mission/map with various options.

The docs do not answer all the questions you might have nor talk about all the options available. You could fill a thousand pages with all that, but after reading through the tutorials you should be good enough to start exploring the editors yourself.

Martin

Thanks for the info Moon, but I hate to pay for something twice. And Im wondering how varied my missions could be given the very limited number of vehicles available. The fact that this is the first fully 3D tank sim makes me want to put time into it, but come on, wheres the BMP? Wheres the BTR...any BTR will do. Give me an M1 or Challenger to shoot at!

Theres absolutely no crew interaction. Maybe Steelbeasts spoiled me.

Im realising that even as a lover of Soviet tanks this sim is very limited.

Well, the scope of the sim is limited, because the developers selected a specific backstory and did not intend to create a generic "tank simulator". Hopefully with the upcoming add-on, new playable tanks can be added. Obviously this also depends on fan support for the game.

I believe SB allowed you only to play two tanks, though? Here you can play 4. :D

Martin

Oh, forgot to answer about the varied missions: obviously you can only select the dozen or so avalable units, but the variations comes from the terrain that you're able to create in the editor. How about a full-blown city? It takes time to create, but it's extremely rewarding when you do. (yes, I am nearly finished on a big city map) Or how about snow? When you look deeper into the editor you'll notice that snow is fully supported even if not used in the campaign or single player mission. They even differentiate between different forms of snow and hail...

This game is extremely flexible and doesn't receive half the credit for it at the moment. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that people bought the wrong (Russian) version and don't have a clue what they're doing? ;)

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that people bought the wrong (Russian) version and don't have a clue what they're doing? ;)

Martin

Haha Indeed!

Im concerned also about performance. I edited single mission 5 lastnight so there was a tank platoon vs tank platoon fight. Eight tanks total were added and it crawled along at 2FPS!. Im using a 2.8Ghz machine w/ 1GB of RAM.

I noticed a heavy performance decrease when a lot of tanks are within short distance from each other. The tank and vehicle models in the game are highly detailed, which is probably causing this. Setting the LOD settings lower seems to help.

The english version is also apparently somewhat quicker from what I heard (but I have to admit that I never did a direct comparison) since we're using a newer version of the game engine.

Martin