AI sometimes shaky?

Cyrrus

I'm running into stuff I hadn't really expected, meaning that I feel the AI is shaky at times. I'll give some examples....

When I issue the order "Hull down" my AI driver doesn't drive up to the mountain ridge, but turns the tank around and drives backwards towards the ridge. I was in a dug in tank position and all of a sudden my AI driver decided he wanted the front of the tank in a different direction, result was I had my side towards the enemy.

These are two examples of highly irratating AI flaws. In my humble opinion these are the details that make for a good sims.... My question, is anything going to be done about this in a future patch?

Cyrrus, while the AI has its flaws no doubt (which AI doesn't?), there is a general problem with "hull down" in that it's a highly "relative" stance. Except in a specially dug-out tank fighting position you will rarely find a hull down spot that is hull-down in all directions. On the other hand, you will often find a lot of hull-down positions relative to one spot, but not to another. The AI cannot possibly know what you have in mind, and therefore the order "hull down" to your driver AI can have some unintended results.

But that's why the game's design allows you to take control of the driver from all stations and wiht immediate effect by use of the number keys. Don't like what the AI is doing - simply override it and/or even better, jump into the driver seat for a bit until you get the result you want and entrust the other position to the AI.

Skillfully "managing the crew" and jumping from one "seat" into the next during a battle is part of the idea of this game (and part of the fun if you ask me). It differs in this certainly from other simulations which focus on minuscle simulation of one specific position. T72 has a bit of a different design idea here.

Martin

I'm a proffesional tanker, so I'm quite familiar with "hull down". Hull down in all directions is impossible in normal terrein, however, tank tactics are based on keeping your front armor towards the enemy, so hull down is 1. minimising your profile and 2. extra protection on your front armor. In other words, hull down is always relative to your front armor.

That explanation brings me back to the flawed AI, if I give the "hull down" order, the last thing I want my AI driver to do turn the weak back end of the tank towards the enemy or driving direction. That's a serious flaw in the AI. The other example I gave was in a ditch I'd driven towards myself, and the AI driver turn the tank 90 degrees...

Jumping from seat to seat is great, and I realise that doing it yourself is best, I certainly want to do most things myself, however, in combat I really need the AI not to play tricks on me. The "hull down issue is certainly programmable as other sims have shown, therefore my question remains.

[ September 20, 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Cyrrus ]

Yeah, of course I didn't mean to imply that hull-down can be in relation to your tank's rear end smile.gif

I have never seen the AI do that in the game and the hull down command itself is coded so as to find you a hull-down spot in front of the tank if not target is designated and if no tank trenches are nearby. If you have a designated target the AI will try to find a spot relative to that elected target, and if there is a tank trench nearby, it will drive there. I assume that these two could explain some unexpected results like you describe when you're not aware of a trench or still active target.

To answer your question: no, I don't think that the AI will be touched upon in a future patch.

My suggestion (and the way I play) is to take the driver position yourself when you need it to do a critical task, or at least to limit orders to it during a hot phase of the battle to simple forward/backward and side movements. I am not a professional tanker, but one thing I have seen and learned during my Army time was to keep commands short and simple during battle... especially if you have a dumb crewman ;)

Martin