How many of us are or were real tank crew members?

oren_m

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the pictures!

As you can see (or not) it was really cold!!!

norm_8510C16F01934F3DB0B5DCD0F830AB63.JPG

Here you can see some of the tanks taking position on the ramps, waiting for fire clearence.

norm_1CFBCD7252794D7095E39B7AA542D66B.JPG

This is operational movment, you can see anti-tank obstcles on the both sides of the road.

norm_B279BED047F2412F8D8362F022E12B77.JPG

Here you can see the tank in a low position, just before the hull-down position.

Heh, when it got below -40 degrees Celsius where I made my military service in northern Sweden they would cancel outdoors activities. -20 to -30 was more the norm though. Worst thing for me was a survival exercise with temperatures between 0 and -20. smile.gif

I would say I prefer a few degrees below zero than a few degrees above though. Wet and cold is worse than just cold after all. tongue.gif:D

And what about extreme heat?!

My basic training was near Eilat, in south israel which desert, can you imagine 40 Celsius?!

And inside a tank!?!??!?!?!!??!?!

But it's getting even worst, during the "Gaza strip operations" we got about 36 celsius with near 90% humidity, which is hell on earth, only with tanks. smile.gif

Great pictures! Always nice to see a bit of the Middle East that isn't rocky or full of buildings.

As for temps... gee, it's 7 C out tonight and according to some it is still Summer :D

SuomiKp, I went camping when it was -33 out. Although I did have a sleeping bag (rated to -6) it must be noted that I did this voluntarily ;) Amazing to see how fast 5 gallons of water takes to freeze.

Steve

You know, many people think that Israel is a desert country, although 65% of Israel's land is a desert (200 mm of rain and less), most of the population does not live there, in thouse 65% live only 10% of the country's population.

So israel is not as camels and tents like as you might think, it is not like that at all.

Oren, exactly my point smile.gif Most times people see pictures from the Middle East it is either of a city or some desolate desert area. Yet all throughout the ME there are spots that are quite lush with vegitation. Or, like the pics you posted, at least not bare desert. So it is always nice to see pictures that show something like this. Especially if there is at least one tank in it :D

BTW, I ran into my barber today. He lives 2 towns north. Temp there last night was 3 C. I double checked my calendar... it's still officially Summer.

Steve

Right now I´m in Germany. OFFICIALLY it should still be summer. Actually we have temperatures about 3-7°C, I guess, and it rains A LOT. OK, yesterday we had 25-30°C, but that´s an exception. Today: rain and about 5-7°C... And thus it was for the last few weeks. I haven´t really seen anything remotley resembling a 'summer' yet - only if you count those two or three days with above 25°C in between... :(