Amount of MG ammo

Isn't the amount of ammo for the coax MG awfully low?

I can recall real-life tankers telling stories of how an M1A1 tank typically carries something in the order of 10000 rounds of 7.62 ammo.

Agreed, there have to be tradeoffs for realism vs. balanced gameplay, but I really wonder if those Balkans on Fire coax MGs are not downgraded way too much by this.

Originally posted by Stefan Hundhammer:

I can recall real-life tankers telling stories of how an M1A1 tank typically carries something in the order of 10000 rounds of 7.62 ammo.

T-72 carries 2000 rounds of coax ammo in boxes of 250 rounds each. The reason why it's so low compared to Abrams is that T-72 carries typically at least 14 HEF rounds which are far superior than HEAT rounds for anti-personnel purposes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Firing the MG yourself rather than letting the AI do it helps to conserve the ammo as the AI tends to spray all over the place. Use very short bursts and keep correcting for wide shots all the time. I usually get through a mission on the ammo we are given and manage to kill 80% of the infantry with the MG, the rest with fragmentation shells.