I give it a C-

There's no flaw in my logic, Badger.

I'm not the one trying to rationalise committing THEFT.

It's because of people like you that honest gamers have to put up with things like Starforce.

As I said earlier. If you aren't prepared to accept the possibility of hardware incompatabilites (bugs), and want to be able to either return or trade a game you don't like; get a console.

If not stop making excuses for committing a crime...however minor you might feel that crime is.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Jester_159th:

It's because of people like you that honest gamers have to put up with things like Starforce.

Gamers have to put up with Starforce because of naive thinking and incompetence of game publishers. Not to mention that it with some games installs itself without any notification to the user. So in order to fight piratism, they have decided to become crooks themselves.

As long as publishers don't give a rats ass about customers(quality control) and care more about meeting release dates and screwing their customers in the ass, downloading games to try them out is a necessary evil. I don't like it myself, but when you look at state gaming industry is in at the moment, I find it acceptable.

Originally posted by Diesel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jester_159th:

Gamers have to put up with Starforce because of naive thinking and incompetence of game publishers. Not to mention that it with some games installs itself without any notification to the user. So in order to fight piratism, they have decided to become crooks themselves.

As long as publishers don't give a rats ass about customers(quality control) and care more about meeting release dates and screwing their customers in the ass, downloading games to try them out is a necessary evil. I don't like it myself, but when you look at state gaming industry is in at the moment, I find it acceptable. </font>

When stealing becomes acceptable, the terrorists win.

Seriously, if shoplifting and cattle rustling are looked upon as unacceptable behavior, what makes illegal downloading alright? Some games are flaming piles of poo, and you don't find out until you buy and play it(I'm am in no way comparing T-72 to a pile of poo, flaming or otherwise). You just have to take that risk and decide for yourself if you want to spend the money on an unproven product.

If you think theft is no big deal, I suggest you become aquainted with the forums of the Cook County State Penitentiary, because you have a personaltiy flaw that may very well plant you there.

Originally posted by Soddball:

If you believe what you read about games in industry magazines, you deserve everything you get. If you insist on racing to the front of the queue to get the game first, despite knowing full well the reputation of the company it's coming from, you deserve everything you get.

So the customer is to blame if industry is rotten? Great.

How is customer supposed to know what the game is like then if he can't trust magazines, there is no demo available(or only poor one) and he has no information about the company because they are rather new to the business or they have just changed dev teams etc. etc.

Just take the gamble and buy the game? Sorry, that just doesn't cut it for some people and as long as publishers dont realize that, these people will continue to download and try the game out for free. Instead of spending their money on copy protection systems that end up doing harm only to their paying customers, why don't they concentrate their money into making better quality products and offering trial versions or decent demos of their products?

After broadband connections got widespread, most of them have only managed to shoot themselves into the foot when they could have used some imagination and take advantage of it.

Whatever. I have the right to know what I am paying for and if I'm not given that chance I'll make myself one.

Not in a society governed by the rule of law you don't. In your own little fantasy world, maybe.

If you want those options as I've said twice already: Buy a console.

Seriously, it's a win-win situation. You get the right to return/ trade games you don't like (or that don't meet your standards); and the PC community loses an advocate of piracy.

Whatever. I have the right to know what I am paying for and if I'm not given that chance I'll make myself one.

Demos, descriptions, reviews, word-of-mouth?

The Mercedes analogy (you know you're getting a good car because it's Mercedes) is utterly false. You might have heard that this is the case (word-of-mouth) you could take it for a test-drive (demo). This is exactly the same of everything in life. You don't steal pies, books or teapots to give them a thorough test before you decide if you want to buy them.

$40? Pfft. A trifling sum. I've spent more on a night out. I've certainly launched more in the shape of paint-filled gelatin balls at other people while they reciprocate the sentiment.

And here we have spoilt children whinging because a game isn't optimised for their system.

What else could $40 get you? As a rather junior engineer that's half an hour of my time. For a computer game programmer, it'll be somewhat less. It probably cost Moon and Steve (Battlefront.com) that much each responding to your posts.

[Edit: Or Jam. You don't steal jam to see if you like it.

Originally posted by JudoHedgehog:

Where exactly is that right laid out?

It's common sense. Or perhaps you like to buy your pigs in a sack? Go ahead, I won't do it. The end result is still either one happy customer more or one unhappy less. I couldn't care less if you or anyone else don't approve it. The end justifies the means for me.

Moon and flamingknives, demo argument has been covered in earlier discussion.

It's only so you'll understand your statement. From before it's apparent nothing anyone can say will sway you of your "what's yours is mine" attittude so the only way you could possibly be shown how damaging and selfish that attitude is is to be on the recieving end of it.

If someone just took your car because their "ends" justified it to them would that be perfectly OK? No matter what attempts you make to jusitfy theft it is still theft, pure and simple. Don't try to come off like you're some high and mighty consumer advocate when all you are is a thief. At least be man enough to admit what it is and don't reel off some tired BS about why it's right to steal someone else's property.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

If you believe what you read about games in industry magazines, you deserve everything you get. If you insist on racing to the front of the queue to get the game first, despite knowing full well the reputation of the company it's coming from, you deserve everything you get.

So the customer is to blame if industry is rotten? Great.

</font>

I'm playing T-72 and having fun with it even though it has a few problems. I'm 55 years old ..served 3 years in the army including 1 year RVN. Been around the block a few times sort of speak ...but you guys are giving me a headache :rolleyes:

Regards,

Gunz