Tank Novels - modern ones exist?

Destraex

Any good modern tank novels exist. Especially on the Russian side.

Eager to see what memiors of real modern tankers tell

And no Red Storm Rising does not cut it ;)

THe "ww2 Library" that is the kind of style I like puts together all the memiors of both sides and many different roles of a particular battle or campaign and orders them into a clear linear story line, with explanation from the author to pad both sides. Sometimes the memiors are happening in exactly the same time at the same place.

This makes for a very interesting factual and action packed read. It also makes for a very unique style of story telling that comes close to the truth.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440235642/ref=pd_sxp_f/002-4690939-4904864?v=glance&s=books

THe books describe in detail the procedures followed by the crews or fighting men as they carry them out and you can learn a lot about tactics at the same time as having fun with the story which is often tense or paints a gruesome scene that brings forth the true colours of war

THeir are about 20 books in the series of which I have seven, however I am looking for the modern equivalent.

[ July 22, 2005, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Destraex ]

Hey.. Ok. some tank novels.. Theres not alot of new stuff, But try "Harold Coyle" he wrote Team Yankee which is by far one of the best tank novels out.. He also wrotes a series of books that follow the career of a Armored Officer.. It doesn't get down and dirty, but it is well written.

Another book is by author Scott Taylor... For the life of me I can't remember the name of it, but it follows a war from the russian perspective.

Those are the only two modern ones I can really think of, they are both fiction.. I have read a few non-fiction written about the Israelie wars that arn't too bad.

Oh.. there are a couple good non-fiction that follow the second gulf war from the tank side.. Ones by a british news reporter, who was imbeded with one of the tank units.. I'll see if I can find that one.. was a pretty good read

hey.. Ok.. tank books... Honestly.. theres not a hell of alot of them out there.. The best would prolly be "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle.. Its a very well written book covering WWIII from the armor perspective.. He also writes a series of books that covered an Armored Officers career (both fiction mind you) but they are both well written.

Another author is Scott Taylor.. I can't remember the name of the book, but it follows a WWIII type thing from the russian side.. Well written..

Theres also some good non-fiction that follow the second gulf war, one of them is from a british reporter who was embeded with an american tank unit.. Its very well done.

You can also find some stuff on the Israelie wars as well.. read a couple, no idea what they where called.

Hope this helps

Armor Attacks: The Tank Platoon by John Antal

Combat Team: The Captains' War by John Antal

Proud Legions by John Antal

Thunder Run by David Zucchino

Dragons at War: Land Battles in the Desert by Daniel P. Bolger

[ July 22, 2005, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Hub ]

Red Army ROCKS! I'm in the middle of it now.

Sorry techno guys... it does not use specific tank designations like other novels (T-72B, T-80, SA-11... etc) but it is VERY entrapping! It takes you inside the mind of individual scouts all the way out to the theater generals! READ IT!

Strongly suggest: THE HEIGHTS OF COURAGE by Avigdor Kahalani---you can get it from Amazon in paperback. Not a novel but the greatest account ever written of armored warfare to date. He commanded a battalion of Centurions on the Golan Heights in October 1973. Brilliantly written and will have you sweating until the terrifying climax. Excellent source for classic Soviet armor tactics. PANZER ACES is the best tactical manual for operating an armored vehicle in print. Speed Maneuver and Surprise --- the extraordinary success of using these methods is illustrated over and over.

[ July 23, 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: tankski ]

I thought Team Yankee was kinda lame to be honest, his follow up was "Sword Point", about a war in Iran with Russian, US and Iranian forces was much better. In fact, it's just about my favorite.

Other books in my fictional modern collection.

Bright Star (so so, details a Engyptian Libyan war with some US forces)

The Ten Thousand (Another Coyle book, excellent! My second favorite of his. A US Armored Division must fight its was out of Germany after a new government takes control)

Red Phoenix- by Larry Bond, co author of RSR. A good modern Korean tale.

Also by Bond were Vortex and Cauldron, which were both good reads.

Madmatt

Red Army is by far one of the best books I've read, though it encompasses more than tanks. I guarantee you won't be able to put this book down. It makes Clancy's scenario for a Soviet invasion into Western Europe look so amateur-which I think, Red Storm Rising. As mentioned before, the lack of nomenclature is evident, but I think it adds to the flavor. By the way, it doesn't take a genius to dismantle what Ralph Peters is talking about. And Peters could have full well wrote a book with all the techno stuff considering his background in military intelligence. Just thinking about that book a few days ago-might have to dig it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Army is the best I've read by far.

I'm actually an aspiring writer, and I can tell you now that Red Army is simply beautifully written - its a classic example of an author that knows their material well and can write with enough skill to do it justice. Fantastic piece of work

The opposite is First Clash - dreadfully written 'docu-fiction' made for the Canadian Army. Its essentially an army manual written in ficitonal form to make it easier to read. Very good examples given of real warfare, complete with a kind of summary at the end for points of interest raised by the story for officers. Worth reading if you need to know your tactics, but very poor as a story.