New desert map ***UPDATE 7/28***

Moon

Here a few new maps for download:

Ambush Valley ***NEW***

Desert War

INSTRUCTIONS:

Download (about 16-20 MB) and unzip.

Put the entire desert1 folder inside the /LEVELS/ directory.

Put the .ca file inside the /CACHE/ folder.

Put the .pd file inside the /DATA/scripts/ folder.

Start the mission from the game lobby by selecting User Missions, open the CACHE folder, and start the .ca file.

For those who are interested: it took about two hours to make the map, including around 1 hour that it took the engine to generate the topography (as well as the background and briefing map images). The steps how to do this are explained in the mission editor tutorials that come with the game.

In short - I took one of the existing maps, deleted everything, and added one large "map zone", assigning it one value: "terrain: sand". I then added units, some more objects including laying out a new road, as well as the various AI scripts.

That's it. Have fun!

Martin

[ July 28, 2005, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

hi

good one moon!

but

could you post, meybe one or two screenshots of the map? for those poor fellows, wich havent the game yet or have to wait for a better PC, bevor they can buy it!?

iam really interested how a dersert map in T72bof looks like!? and what would be needed to add a "sand" camo pattern or a "sand" version of the t72 and other vehicles(if this is possible...)?

however, much fun to everyone who can play this baby...

Pandur

here's some screenshots.. I lost my track, took another hit, one of my guys flew up in the air out of the tank hole? and landed behind me, I still continued on with a victory, lol...

bottom of page:

http://www.magnumland.com/t72.htm

Thx Moon, now how about us test the limits to this game, and make a HUGH tank battle mission? ;) (I would, but I don't know how, ;()

Great little firefight, Moon. My platoon got slaughtered, but that's the way it goes sometimes. First the T-55's caught it and, later, my T-72 when my imbecile driver failed to follow an order and plowed into one of my wrecked 55's; thus, providing the opposition with the swell target of my immobile rear presented on a silver plate. One of the charming things about this sim is that the crewmen do not always obey like robots, and, sometimes your gunner gets a tank you didn't see, or your driver slams into a friendly tank! The formation discipline seems to need a great deal of tuning because even on clear terrain tanks go all over the place when ordered to proceed in a wedge (happens in all formations). Maybe I need to raise my unit's experience level in Realism?

This means that you have not followed the instructions. These files (hei.map and levpack.cd) have been generated by the game (partially because you aborted the process). What appeared to be freezing to you was in fact the program idling while it was generating the output files. That takes (like I mentioned above) about an hour.

But it's not needed, because when you download the files I linked to above, all you need is already there. It should be three files.

You should delete the folder, and unzip again the contents of the file you downloaded, and put the entire "desert1" folder (not just the contents) that you get from the zip INTO the /LEVELS directory.

Martin

Hi Moon

THis is a very cool map. Could we have some more desert missions?

Maybe a bit more spaced out whereby you drive for a while picking of weak infantry on the way to a climatic armored battle or securing of a facility or something? Maybe in the T-55, almost a mission like the movie The Beast?

Thanks,

Gian

Here's another desert mission on a new map. A bit more spaced out indeed. File size is around 16 MB. Same instructions - entire desert2 folder should go into the /LEVELS directory, the .ca file into the CACHE directory, and the .pd file into the /DATA/scripts/ directory. Enjoy!

Ambush Valley

Martin

PS. I always find titles like "Ambush Valley" funny, as they do not exactly manage to create surprise ;) Now I've gone and done it myself. Ah well...

Very nice Moon... and even with the title... you got me... beutiful... now thats a true definition of AMBUSH.

Loved it, keep em coming, since I can only do single missions till patched.

Got to go try it again... thx again... wish there was a way for random placement... once you know, it kinda ruins the surprise.

Well, not random placement as such, but I am playing with a randomized script that would make the AI stay in place sometime, and sometime choose a number of paths to come at you etc. The end effect will be the same - you won't be able to predict where the bad guys will be.

Martin

Moon, how did you do the desert winds environmental sounds... incredible... don't stop, keep them coming...

I'd like to see a defense map... where we start on the outer perimeter in dug in hull down positions, while a wave of enemy come... then just when about to be overwhelmed pop smoke, and back up to secondary and final dug in hull positions around a base... with as many tanks, vehs, and inf as the game can handle... just an idea...last line of defense.

Sounds are simple... you just place a sound object on the map and assign it various parameters (e.g. from how far you want it to be heard; or if it's a main ambient sound). The neat thing is that you can play *any* WAV sounds. For my next mission perhaps I can record a voice briefing smile.gif

Martin

For those who only have the demo i found you can change the map, but as yet not the senario. just put the desert1 folder in the levels folder and rename it demo ( backup the old folder demo by calling it demo1 first. Ambush Valley is good for longer dogfights with the Leopard