A.I. Drivers

JohnE

Are all on drugs :eek: After finally getting some time in with this sim I have to say the AI drivers are killing me! Not just my driver but the all of them, I give the order to turn right and my guy goes forwards, backwards then spins for abit and stops no where near right, hell going forward is a adventure all in itself!! Once I asked him to find a hull down position while under fire and he did his little dance and turned right into a shell, the perfect pos was not 20m away! Also i've seen the enemy AI just roll off cliffs! This was funny when I read about it and kind of funny when I saw it for the first time, but it now happened 3 times :confused:

Am I missing something?

Should I not be letting the AI drive?

Should I use the Right tank option?

Should I institute a drug policy?

How are the rest of you doing it?

The AI driver will do weird stuff only when you order him too close to some obstacles, like rocks or sometimes also trees and buildings. At the same time unfortunately he will obey you when you order him on a slope that's actually too steep for the tank. The AI is quite good in finding hull-down positions if you ask me... when you ordered him to go hull-down and the position was only 20 meters away, he probably had to rotate the tank to get there. Getting back out and then ordering hull-down would have been better probably.

In short, I would suggest to use the AI driver for the periods before the actual battle, and after you are engaging only use simple commands like forward, rear etc. This is actually what you would do in real combat, too. For the more complex stuff, hop into the driver seat yourself.

I have to also add a comment (not directed at you JohnE at all; just a general observation from reading this forum in the past days): Simulations are about learning how to handle a piece of hardware like a tank. It's part of the fun. By definition. Are people so brainwashed by the typical FPS controls these days that they find learning the handful of rules of armored combat "too steep"? Doh!

Martin

Martin,

Regarding the "rules of armored combat", since there is nothing in the manual describing the art of armored combat I'd suggest a sticky post where armor tactics can be posted or linked to all in one place. A lot of people aren't going to know hull-down from their elbow so it would be nice to have a place where people can learn about armored combat.