DEMO IS OUT!!!!

Ragtag

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Pandur:

i have to place my demo thoughts somewhere, and i do it here in this "demo thread"...

Ditto, since I feel the demo is lacking some needed stuff.

... only 3 "missions" and 2 of it, training and the other one with one enemy tank!

Assuming one vs one scenarios are typical for this game that's okay, but it doesn't seem typical and thus at least one "typical" scenario is needed in the demo.

1.driving course

driving course is nicely made, ...

I think so too. Not much problem here.

2.shooting range

... only problem; it seems impossible to me, that you can find a clear shot from POS1, to the camp.

That's not my problem(s). I expect having to slightly adjust the position of the tank to get a clear shot.

The problems are more complex than that.

This is pretty much a simulation game where efforts have been taken to make it realistic. As such it's imperative to get the knowledge what and how to do to use the tank properly, before exercising the actions.

- What are the different ammo types?

- Which type should I use for a specific target?

- How do I select that ammo type and load the round into the gun?

- What gun sight options are there?

- How do I pick the correct view for my selected ammo type?

- What does the markings in the gun sight mean, and how do I use them?

- How do I get the correct range to the target, and how do I get that data into the fire control system?

Since I've been an ATG gunner IRL and played Steel Beasts a bit I've been able to figure out the answers to about half of the questions above, but not thanks to the instructions provided with the demo. A total newbie must have a nightmare...

Now for the shooting range itself...

It is definitely not self evitent what is targets and what isn't, or when you're done, and the instructions doesn't help a lot.

- In the "Military Camp" I started shooting at the buildings to destroy the "camp". Later on I discover that the real target is a manned RR inside the camp, while the buildings doesn't matter.

- Then the various troops show up. Are these really "targets" and not just other trainees on exercise? I had to shoot them to find out, and the scenario didn't tell me when I was finished...

- The moving Leopard tank was the only target where the given instructions made real sense!

- The helicopter. Instructions: "Load ATGM, fire it and then switch to view F8 to guide it." (Or something to that extent.) Now which ammo type is ATGM? I managed to figure that out, loaded it and fired, covering the view in smoke and dust. Switched to F8 and realised I was suddenly looking in some totally different direction! :eek: I soon realised that F8 was the AAMG, and had absolutely nothing to do with the ATGM guidance. I also realised that firing an ATGM at the helicopter is stupid, since due to all the smoke and dust you can't see the target again until the missile has passed (or accidentally hit) it. It's much better to use a sabot round at this short range.

To sum up the firing range: Good as such, but more teaching is needed!

3. T72 vs. leo

A very simple and straightforward scenario where you control your one tank. Nothing to it and not very interesting. Coming down a front slope there's no possibility to hide or find a good firing position. No room to adopt higher tank tactics, but a simple shootout... (I haven't installed the hotfix yet though.)

i really miss the 4 single player missions, next to this 2 trainigs missions, wich the russian demo got.

I've never tested the older demo version, so I can't comment on this, but it seems BoF scenarios typically urge the player to control more units than a single tank, and that very important part of the game isn't even available in the current demo! :eek:

Parts of this game seem very attractive to me, from a distance, like detailed simulation of some vintage tanks. Unfortunately the demo doesn't do much to straighten out my question marks, but rather add doubts to wether this really is a good simulator game or not...

The old Steel Beasts demo sets my standards for what a good demo for this kind of game can provide:

- Complete instructions to all aspects of playing the game as a gunner. (Using the primary sight, the secondary sight and the thermal sight. Selecting ammo. Using the lasr range finder and the fire control system. Using the various gunnery backup systems.)

- Complete instructions to all aspects of playing the game as a tank commander. (Driving the tank, plotting routes, pointing out targets to the gunner, overriding the gunner, using the TC's HMG, etc.)

- Complete instructions to all aspects of calling artillery.

- Complete instructions to all aspects of controlling multiple units. And finally...

- One single player scenario that let you use all the skills aquired in training (and available in the game).

/Olle

• 2 weeks later...