Demo

M1A1TC

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Yeah, having a demo after the game release is not good. Most likely will not be buying this game

Man ... Sorry, if you were familiar with BFC products, you'd know that comment is kinda, well ...

I agree that some publishers don't put out a demo or delay it until release because the game sucks. But what that has to do with T-72's situation is beyond me.

Folks, the reason why they put the demo out after the intial release in such cases is they are hoping you'll be stupid enough to buy it before the demo comes out. The timing of the demo isn't the issue at all, it is that window of opportunity to dupe you that is. If you are not stupid enough to do this, then this whole thing doesn't apply.

It really is as simple as:

1. Wait for Demo to be available.

2. Download Demo.

3. Play Demo.

4. Decide if game is worth buying.

Whether this happens 2 months before the game is released or 2 years after... it is still the same thing. If the demo grabs you, it grabs you. The game is still going to be exactly the same no matter what.

So to those who are (oddly) declining to so much as look at the demo when it comes out... wow! That is some of the most whacked consumer logic I have ever come upon. And trust me... 7 years of doing this Battlefront thing has shown me some pretty strange logic :D

Steve

P.S. It is also a bit insulting to be compared to standard retail publishers, BTW. Like we've got a bad track record or somefink...

Here are my thoughts about the timing of the demo release and the game.

1. Normally the demo contains most of what the game is about, not just "beta" version. Example- Battlefield 2 demo. Its had everything the game has, except Chinese side.

2. For example, Ive been waiting for Battlefield 2 to come out for years. I participated in forums, join a clan prior to game release. I feel like when developers release the demo prior to game release, they care about their customers. First, they give us a chance to play the demo prior to game release. If I like the demo, Ill ether pre-order the game, or be waiting in line 1-2 hours at the store to pick it up.

I have e-mailed the DICE (game developers) and told them about an inaccuracy of in-game M1A2 Abrams tank. They listened to me, and changed it. I respect that.

3. If demo is released weeks, or months after the game, I guess I feel impatient since the game that Ive been waiting for years is out, and I can not play it. I guess I feel like I deserve having the demo- since I own about 300 games. I do not buy games without a demo. I am not rich enough to drop 50-60$ for a game, and not being able to return it.

BTW, I have nothing against Battlefield. You are my favorite game developers.

First off hello one and all, been reading he forums for a while but never felt moved to join in until now..Tank commander i cannot agree with you on this one. The example you give for a "good" demo is BF2, unfortunetly this game is perhaps one of the worst releases i have had the misfortune to buy, sure the demo was quite good but the retail is awful. Im not going to list the massive and unending faults and bugs as they are all detailed on the relevent forums, but i will mention the patch that was released but was so badly put together that EA now recommend that you uninstall the patch...

So i cant see the logic in your demo argument, nor i suspect can others. I cant wait to have a go at the demo as i will be able to gauge if it is too complicated for my little brain!! If it isnt i can feel a reanactment of the Kupres plain on the cards.

Just found out about this game and look forward to trying the demo as soon as it comes out.

I just finished playing ww2online after 4 years, the dev team took the wrong route for my tastes.

Looking for a new game to call home, maybe this is the one eh.

do not buy games without a demo. I am not rich enough to drop 50-60$ for a game, and not being able to return it.
Oh, I COMPLETELY agree with this. But nobody is forcing you to make that choice. You are your own boss so you can do something called "wait" and bingo... you can play the demo and see if it is worth buying or not. What your position has been is that the timing of the demo is somehow important. It isn't. No way can it be. The important thing is if you like the demo or not.

Answer "I would buy it" or "I would not buy it" to the following cases to see what I mean smile.gif

Case 1 - demo is released on Monday, you play it on Monday, love it, game is released on Friday

Case 2 - demo is released on Monday, you are away on business that week, game is released on Friday, you play the demo on the following Monday, you love it.

Case 3 - game is released on Friday 12:00am, demo is released on Saturday at 1:00am, you download the demo at 10:00am, you love it.

Case 4 - game is released on Friday, demo is released the following Friday, you download the demo, you love it.

I could go on and on, but I think that covers it :D

Oh and...

If I like the demo, Ill ether pre-order the game, or be waiting in line 1-2 hours at the store to pick it up.
The great thing about Battlefront's online system is that this is not relevant. Neither is the "if I don't buy it in the first month it might be off the shelf, even if it is good" probelm too.

Steve

[ July 14, 2005, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The great thing about Battlefront's online system is that this is not relevant. Neither is the "if I don't buy it in the first month it might be off the shelf, even if it is good" probelm too.

Steve

The only gripe I have with your system- bad packaging. Each Combat Mission I recieved came with the CD stuck inside the manual, and it was crammed and bent by the mailman in my mailbox. I had to manually flatten each CD.

I wish you send out games in a box.

Sorry to hear about the problems. We've been shipping stuff this way for 7 years and have had very few complaints, so overall things work fine for the vast majority of people. Sounds like you need to have a chat with your letter carrier. They aren't supposed to be cramming anything in. If your mailbox is not big enough to handle the package then they are supposed to hold it for you or, if you have an arrangement with him/her, leave it someplace (like inside a porch or screen door).

Using boxes would increase the S&H rate probably by $2, which I am sure would get us more complaints than with the current packaging smile.gif

Steve