What's the "Log" on the back of Soviet tanks?

What is that 'log'? It's... a log! Quite literally. Used - somehow - for unditching purposes, though i don't quite have a good grasp on how it works. If a track is slipping in mud do you wedge it under the front wheel and let the track climb up the beam to extricate itself? Is there anyone out there who's 'fulfilled their military service' who can enlighten us?

I've used many a chunk of tree to get out of a bad situation, but I think your mistaking the Snorkle for a "log" The other choice is the fuel drums that are carried on the rear of some tanks. I've seen that mistaken for a log as well.

On the rear of the newer russian tanks (on the side of the T-72) is a snorkle that can look like its a log. This is used to ford deep water obsticles.

t72m1-001.jpg

t72-5.jpg

Using a unditching beam is normally unpractical for a tank.. If you get stuck in a tank.. you need atleast 1 other tank to get you out. lol.

I got my leopard so stuck, it took 3 tanks and the ARV to get me out. Used to have a pic of me standing ontop of the turret, and all you could see of the tank was the tip of the barrel, and the radio antenas

Originally posted by snakeeyes:

Ok tankers... what is the log I always see on the rear's of Soviet tanks?

What is it for?????

There is indeed a log at the rear hull, and like someone said it's used in unditching. That alone will hardly do it though, like Shane said you´re much better off with at least 1 other tank pulling you out.

Although not a Russian, I've used a log similar to the ones carried on the back of Soviet tanks to un-mire an AFV. Both tracks lost traction trying to pull out of a four foot deep mud pit. We (the crew) chopped down a small tree and laid the trunk perpendicularly beneath the front edge of both tracks. We then lashed the trunk to the tracks with tow cable and a rope. Slowly applying power to the sprockets, the tracks climbed up over the trunk as the trunk didn't slip but rather bit into the mud. --et Voila, the trunk was unlashed from the tracks once the vehicle had climbed completely over it and out of the pit.

JJhouston got it right. You attach it to tanks both tracks with some wire and use the log for some extra traction. Works in situations like if your nose has sunk to a swamp and the rear end is still up... Of course better to tow with 1-2 tanks...

Originally posted by oren_m:

Yes ,they are additional fuel tanks, but they have a little problem, they make the tank a little more flameble!

Doctrine called for the external tanks to be used for travel to the FEBA at which time they would be jettisoned for internal fuel usage.