Realistic as hell!

oren_m

I know what i'm saying! i was a gunner in a tank, and the game (by the movies i saw) looks really realistic, the sound of the main gun shooting is really good, but i have a qustion, in the game, will i need you "Laser" the target before i shoot, or it's happening automaticly?

You need to laser it first (at least in the T72 and IIRC the T-55, the T-34-85 doesn't have a rangefinder, you have to use the sights). You also need to follow proper procedures for example to have the fire control system calculate correct "lead" (i.e. lase a moving target twice within 2 secs).

While the interface of the game is simplified (read: no internal tank views), the simulation aspects of T72:BOF *are* genuine.

Martin

Yes it looks very promising. smile.gif

I noticed that the Leopard 1A4, there's in the game, looks much more like the danish leopard 1A5 DK.

I was stationed in Tuzla with the Danish tank squadron(DANSQN) as part of a tank crew under both UN and IFOR on in Bosnia.

Which faction does the leopards represent in the game? as I didnt see any of the either of the 3 factions having leopards.

But apart from that. It looks really interesting. So I have preordered it. while I still wait for Steel Beast Pro.

Heres some photos of the leopard and some serbian armor.

Image-18.jpg

Image-27.jpg

Image-25.jpg

[ May 31, 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Wanker ]

This game looks VERY VERY interesting. :cool:

I like that at least one new playable will be added in the future. I sure hope its a western tank. Being Canadian the Leopard sounds good. Its the one and only time I think we used her in action.

Also station (working interior) screens would be :cool: .

A powerful mission editor sounds like a plus to me also.

I'm gonna order this one and check it out. smile.gif

KABOOM!!

Originally posted by Moon:

While the interface of the game is simplified (read: no internal tank views), the simulation aspects of T72:BOF *are* genuine.

I'm afraid that's not true. There are some RL to IG disperancies that make it non-genuine :

1) Real T-72 GPS does not have 2 different magnifications, but only one and that is 8x. Also there's a range scale and a "READY" light missing from top of the GPS.

2) Lead system. The one featured in game cannot be found in any past or current T-72 tank. IIRC there is no lead system at all in T-72B(there certainly isn't one in T-72A). Any real gunner would add manual lead instead of waiting for 5 seconds anyway. Why didn't the devs come up with something better if they had to invent it?

3) What's up with that strange night/day sight combo? I'm asking because the old IR sight found in Russian tanks can't be used during day or it will be ruined. Yet in the videos and screenshots it's used as some kind of auxiliary sight with separate day/night channels when in reality there's only one passive image-intensification channel that has its range boosted with IR-light if needed.

Overall BoF could be a very cool game, but what turns me off is devs making short-cuts and simplifications in implementing the gunnery functions. :(

1) Genuine does not mean 100% perfect of course. A number of simplifications have been made and are listed in the game manual in fact (while some are not). The "zoom" feature of the T72 sight is one of those that are mentioned.

I cannot comment on the lead feature because I simply don't know for sure.

As for the night sight, as somebody who comes from the night vision industry with first hand experience especially in Russian night sights I can assure you that any modern passive image intensification system can work during the day without much problems. You'll get a fairly bright image, but it won't break. Features like Bright Source Protection or Automatic Brightness Control and Automatic Light Cutoff make sure that it's possible. It shortens the lifetime of such a unit and is not advisable (which is the reason why we always wrote disclaimers in manuals that it should not be switched on during the day or it might break), but it won't ruin a unit at all. It has been used in the videos to show it as a feature, but it should also be quite clearly visible that it's not really very useful during the day due to oversaturation of the image.

Overall, I cannot speak for the devs and why some decisions were made during the game design here and there. Certainly a number is debatable and hopefully we can address a few issues that came up during the testing of the english version in later patches. We'll see. But as iti s, the end result at the moment is an extremely playable (i.e. not overburdened with micromanaging real-world switches and consoles) simulation with genuine (not 100% realistic, but with some - sometimes really surprising -attention to detail in certain areas) simulation of tank combat.

Martin

Originally posted by Hub:

I like that at least one new playable will be added in the future. I sure hope its a western tank. Being Canadian the Leopard sounds good. Its the one and only time I think we used her in action.

Yes, a Leo C1 would be very nice...

Or a C2...

Or a Cougar...

Or, or...

Check this out - I bought it cheap on Ebay - a remote-controlled Leopard!

leopard.JPG

stikkypixie: Is there no-one you know with a Credit/Debit card who'd be willing to order it for you ?

Alternatively according to https://www.combatmission2.com/purchasepolicy.html you can pay by cheque or international money order (in Dollars) but the process slower that buying by credit card. However since T72 is still a pre-order I suspect you wouldn't notice that much difference in how long the game takes to arrive.

Yep, there's no computer to calculate the lead in T-72(B). You simply take manual lead, that's what the lines next to the ^ are for.

Watching the shooting gallery video brings another thing to mind. Why isn't the maingun kicking up dust when fired. The dust and smoke from the gun should block the tanks vision for at least few seconds.

Of course it's only a small thing, but being unable to see where your shot went in ranges less than 2000 m is a problem if the target is still alive when the dust settles.

Originally posted by Zipuli:

Yep, there's no computer to calculate the lead in T-72(B). You simply take manual lead, that's what the lines next to the ^ are for.

Watching the shooting gallery video brings another thing to mind. Why isn't the maingun kicking up dust when fired. The dust and smoke from the gun should block the tanks vision for at least few seconds.

Of course it's only a small thing, but being unable to see where your shot went in ranges less than 2000 m is a problem if the target is still alive when the dust settles.

The amount of dust and dirt kicked up from the main gun is based on what sort of surface the tank is sitting on. trust me, in the right circumstances for example stationary on dirt with no foliage, you will get big clouds of dust kicked up which does obscure the sights for a time. You can actually see that in one of the shots in that same video but I am zoomed in a great deal and its hard to differentiate the dust from the main gun and the dust from the explosion of the round.

Madmatt

• 1 month later...