A simulation?!

Qbeesh

There are no internal views as such (i.e. showing the inside walls of the tank). Instead, you look through the:

- gunner sight

- driver sight

- AA MG sight

- commander vision cupola, binos or free view

... and the instruments are abstracted (and simplified) in a User Interface that is an overlay on the screen.

External view can be disabled as part of the realism settings (but it makes for nicer screenshots smile.gif )

You will be able to judge for yourself once we release the english demo. Trust us, this ain't arcade (but it's not as nitty-gritty as Steel Beasts, nobody is claiming that).

Martin

I rather suspect there's not much to see from inside a T72. The gunner sees his sights, The commander sees his sights, with the autoloader shield bisecting the fighting compartment. Not having an interior view doesn't sound like much of a 'deal-breaker' to me. At least in the T54 the commander would be able to see the back of the gunner's head if he peer around his own sights. What excitement!

Things would be different if they had a Brit Conqueror heavy tank in the game - watch the dual loaders working the two-piece ammo!

Do you know why i like, for example, operation flashpoint? Becouse of viewable tank interior. T72 is a sim so it should have got some tank interiors with 360 degrees view angle. That would make me feel i'm in a real tank. eh...maybe i'm getting old...nothing seems to be as it should be to me...

Anyway thanx for the answer.

Best regards.

I know what you mean. I liked this feature in WW2Online and Panzer Elite as well. However, how much do you use it? Honestly?

In terms of game design, if you ask me, it was good that the dev team for T72 dropped the interiors and concentrated on other simulation aspects (physics, ballistics, environmental engine etc.) It works VERY well as a simulation, and the immersion is in fact much better IMO than from other games that might have a full interior view.

Martin

Doing a quick poll on a design issue is a bit like having your design done by a committee. And a camel, as we all know, is a horse designed by a committee.

Having said that, I like tank interiors, even if they're relatively inert. It's not that I want the designers to lavish programming skill on the interior -- a motionless interior that is an intermediate moment between other views will do just fine. I want to know that I'm not missing anything, and I'll know that when I see the dandruff on the back of the collar of the guy in front and not much of anything else. A few static (and boring) interior views should do the trick.

I doubt that the instaneous shell flight time of Panzer Elite came about because the designers were pressed for time after doing the tank interiors. Think of it this way -- Silent Hunter has raised the immersion bar a couple of notches. If you have a one-on-one tank or flight sim, you want it to look like a sim rather than an abstraction. I don't know what the inside of one of those tanks looks like, and this is probably the only way I'll ever find out.

Originally posted by Petteerr:

Just a proposal,is it possible to make a quick pole to let community decide about interiors?and if most of people would agreed to have the interior feeling of the tank,could the developers do something now that the game isnt finished yet?

Errh, since it has been published in Russia, I think it can be considered as finished. Adding totally new features at this stage would take a lot of work, I bet.

Yup. We're focussing on localization and some fairly small tweaks here and there at this point, leading up to release. Something like this is a major change that is too late to get in.

Even more so as it is a core design decision. You need to redesign the entire game user interface essentially. There is - as usual - much more to a simple request like "let's add interior views" than the average gamer might expect I guess smile.gif

And another thing: such a poll, even if there was a way to get it in (and there isn't, not for this game at least), would only be useful after the demo is out and you get to chance to see how T72 is designed. It's surprisingly playable yet realistic, and really a good piece of GUI design (which is one big feature of each game that gamers - and reviewers - often totally underestimate)

Martin

Yes, that's possible. You can have up to three players per vehicle from what I recall (gunner, driver and commander). However, currently it only works in LAN (the original Russian release does not support online play), and one of the major things we're working on is to make this possible for internet play. Fingers crossed.

Martin

Tisk tisk, and some posters were suggesting that y'all weren't even touching the code! ;) I knew you better than that.

If they ever do a game with the old 1970s Cheiftain I hope they provide an interior - I think the crew had to switch DOZENS of switches just to get the thing to start working! If you want T72 interior views I suggest printing out a few interior shots off the net to a printer, then sticking them onto your monitor.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Tisk tisk, and some posters were suggesting that y'all weren't even touching the code! ;) I knew you better than that.

If they ever do a game with the old 1970s Cheiftain I hope they provide an interior - I think the crew had to switch DOZENS of switches just to get the thing to start working! If you want T72 interior views I suggest printing out a few interior shots off the net to a printer, then sticking them onto your monitor.

Looks like good idea to me. smile.gif

AH, but he didn't exactly say so, or did he? :D I assume that the additions are being implemented by IDDK, not Charles... or Moon... or Madmatt.

[snips]

Things would be different if they had a Brit Conqueror heavy tank in the game - watch the dual loaders working the two-piece ammo!

Eh? What are you talking about? Two piece ammo yes, but only one loader.

To add to the fun, there was an automatic ejection system to get rid of the spent 120mm shell casings, but it was up to one poor berk to get it into the gun in the first place.

There is a free mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 that has some nice tanks in it with really nice looking 3d interiors. Its called Red Orchestra and its an eastern front WWII mod. The tank combat is pretty close to simulation level, and they have really realistic infantry combat. You can check it out on thier website:

www.redorchestragame.com

Here are a couple of shots of the interiors:

http://redorchestra.clanservers.com/screenshots/3_1/pic21.jpg

http://redorchestra.clanservers.com/screenshots/3_1/pic19.jpg

Anyway, this T72 game looks really hot. I can't wait until its released here in the US. Or at least there is a US demo where I can read the menus smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Steel Beasts (I) only has some cursory interior views- didn't hurt it's popularity too much, from what I could see. I can say having played that game MP, looking at the insides of my tank was the last thing on my mind in the middle of a scrap!

I'd really like to see the interiors. One will never just look through the sights. The angle of vision is only few degrees so you're not seeing much. That's why there are periscopes all around the turret. And seeing that old, rusty interior with all the gadgets more or less working would be really nice. Clickinf them with mouse and so on.

And to see the rainwater dripping through the hatches... Seeing the face of the commander when he drops to his seat after receiving small-arms fire. Removing misfired ammunition from the tank CMG.

I think it would give a lot more athmosphere to the game. Only thing I wouldn't miss would be the cold and the smell. And all those little parts hitting my body when the driver decides to drive on the bumps a little too hard.

Silent Hunter 3 does a good job with this part. So does IL-2.