Kontakt 5 ERA

Denwad

• 3 weeks later...

The T-72B has never employed Kontakt-V ERA. That's only for the T-72BM. The T-72B has been equipped with Kontakt ERA, however, that's first generation kit only useful against HEAT charges.

Of course, nowadays in T-72B pics in Chechnya and such you'll never see a T-72B without Kontakts, so it's odd its not in the screenshots, but then again,see the thread I made about the in-game model not being a T-72B.

See my reply to you smile.gif

Those sources are in serious error. Assuming the T-72B1 is some sort of super T-72B is a classic mistake. Hang out at tanknet.org, email knowledgable people, get a look at some good source material, the first site you see on the internet is no substitute for that.

Or try to go to the blueprint, and even Janes which states the smoke dischargers are on either side. Janes says, and I quote:

T-72B (1985)

This version was developed under the designation of the Obiekt 182 and later the Obiekt 184 and was first seen in 1986. Its turret has a new armour package that provides a much higher degree of protection than any previous model of the T-72 MBT. In addition the glacis plate is provided with 20 mm of appliqué armour.

Late production vehicles also have an anti-radiation layer on the hull roof, which is also fitted to some T-72A vehicles.

Mounted either side of the turret is a bank of 81 mm forward-firing electrically operated smoke dischargers.

Smoke dischargers on BOTH sides of the turrets. You locked into one source, but don't realize the T72B early production and late production were different. Even the side the laser was on changed.

Tanknet.org is a great source, but photos, blueprints, and Janes itself say otherwise.

Rune

And again, you're focusing on SGDs and nothing else. Jane's is also one of the informed sources that rightly calls the "T-72B1 = super T-72B" bullcrap, so I don't see why you're picking and choosing.

Not to mention that this:

Mounted either side of the turret is a bank of 81 mm forward-firing electrically operated smoke dischargers.

Doesn't say *where* on either side of the turret, so I don't see why you think this helps you (though there was an early T-72B that had such) though this was never the sole part of my argument- the visuals of the armour package are much more important, and the screenshots don't reflect this. Fact also reamins that most T-72Bs seen have them on the turret sides, not on either side of the main gun.

Originally posted by Denwad:

Will it be in the finished product?

shouldn't it make the T-72 much more resistant towards KE projectiles?

ERA works against CE attack. RPGs, ATGWs and the like. Meaningless against a KE long rod penetrator using hydrodynamic penetration. The only thing that is resistant against KE is thick hard heavy armour. There are no shortcuts.

The newer Kontakt-5 reactive armor can cut the rear end off of a 120mm APFSDS and upset its trajectory, signifigantly reducing its penetrating power. Test fire on a tank equipped with the armor failed to penetrate due to the Kontakt-5 effect (I am unsure of the exact circumstances, but I think it was a slightly older round in a mid-90s test).

Originally posted by Determinant:

ERA works against CE attack. RPGs, ATGWs and the like. Meaningless against a KE long rod penetrator using hydrodynamic penetration. The only thing that is resistant against KE is thick hard heavy armour. There are no shortcuts.

Not true. There are a number of weaknesses of long-rod penetrators that can be exploited.