The future for the T-72 game engine?

Python61

Although this game looks excellent, and certainly fills a void, I am not particularly interested in the time period or conflict depicted in this game.

Will community mods be possible, creating tank combat from other eras and battlefields?

Better still, are the developers considering creating expansion packs or new games in different eras based on this game engine?

If you hadn't guessed, I am more interested in WWII armoured combat. A game, concentrating on WWII Russian/German tank battles would have me buying it in a heartbeat. The possibilities for this era are enormous. I would be surprised if this possibility has not already been discussed by the developers, if so, was any conclusion reached?

No, yes, yes.

As Dmitry has pointed out in our press release:

We put great efforts into making a credible combat simulation with attractive graphics and fun gameplay. We collected invaluable experience and are going to use it to dive even deeper into the niche of realistic war games and simulations with the help and support from Battlefront.com.

To all those who love tanks and tank simulators we now can say: the tankless times are over, meet T-72, and stay tuned - this theme is to be continued.

Martin

PS. Let me clarify the "No" a bit, because it's not entirely true. With the mission and structure editor, you can certainly create other battlefields. But it won't be easily possible to turn T72 into e.g. a WW2 tank sim.

No, a buildings editor. You can make your own buildings and other structures in the game with all bells and whistles (well, at least when you understand how it works, I don't currently and I am finding out that I suck at trying to visualize things in 3D) smile.gif

Martin

Building editor, Wow ! They didn't even have it in russian version. That'll keep game even more popular.

Semi OT. I always wondered why game develoipers would not release editor tools. How can it be bad? Or, get this, they would sometimes release crippled version of editors. Novalogic is known for that. I never understood their reasoning. If anything, it will only prolong the life of the game and generate more sales. iD Software, Valve prooved it loong time ago, yet we still have games released without editors.

The sad truth is that more often than not, even the developers don't have any editing tools. You'd be surprised if you know how many commercial games use hand-knit, insanely complicated exporters and editors. I know of instances where each exported level required some HEX-editing because nobody got around to fix the exporter to match the latest software.

Also, the decision on what to release or not is usually done by the management people, who aren't into the whole "giving away"-thing ;)

Originally posted by Sirocco:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

a WW2 tank sim.

You know, there must be a big market right now for a good WW2 tank sim. I personally wouldn't buy T72, but something with T34's and Panthers would be something else entirely. ;) I hope you're considering it. </font>

Originally posted by Moon:

Sirocco, yes, we're considering it. The chances of it happening will be higher though if you consider buying T72 ;)

I bought M1 Tank Platoon 1 and 2 from Microprose, and was considering the new Steel Beasts game, but modern combat just seems overbalanced towards technology. It just seems a little too clinical. It's for that reason that I'll buy Silent Hunter 3, but not Dangerous Waters.

That's just my personal taste, but when you look at the Panzer Elite 2 speculation, and how many people still play the original game and the ancient Panzer Commander, the market may just be ripe for a new WW2 tank game.

And, to be honest, I might have considered buying T72 to encourage further development were it not for the Serbian angle.

Sirocco, yes, we're considering it. The chances of it happening will be higher though if you consider buying T72 ;)

I bought M1 Tank Platoon 1 and 2 from Microprose, and was considering the new Steel Beasts game, but modern combat just seems overbalanced towards technology.</font>

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

I bought M1 Tank Platoon 1 and 2 from Microprose, and was considering the new Steel Beasts game, but modern combat just seems overbalanced towards technology.</font>

And, to be honest, I might have considered buying T72 to encourage further development were it not for the Serbian angle.

Yes, those angles always did influence my game buying decisions too. Especially the acute and obtuse...those are the ones the left the worst impression on me. ;)

But seriously though, I have to ask if/how/why the setting really matters that much. There are politics that can be debated endlessly from both sides in every conflict depending on your viewpoint, and basing a buying decision on this is something I obviously don't understand.

So here's the question: Does anyone think replacing all current references to anything in Yugoslavia with colors such as blue, red, pink etc make a difference (good or bad) in someone's decision to buy or enjoy the game?

Originally posted by Harv:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

Yes, those angles always did influence my game buying decisions too. Especially the acute and obtuse...those are the ones the left the worst impression on me. ;)

But seriously though, I have to ask if/how/why the setting really matters that much. There are politics that can be debated endlessly from both sides in every conflict depending on your viewpoint, and basing a buying decision on this is something I obviously don't understand.

So here's the question: Does anyone think replacing all current references to anything in Yugoslavia with colors such as blue, red, pink etc make a difference (good or bad) in someone's decision to buy or enjoy the game? </font>

Sirocco, it's funny that you mention the Microprose games. Because those, plus that modern Steel Panthers game (forget what it was called, Steel Panthers MBT or something like that?), made me lose my interest in anything modern for a while as well. The fire&forget type of combat it seemed to portray seemed absolutely boring.

It took some time before I realized that this was due to the arcade-ish game design, rather than a hi-fidelity simulation. From play-testing DW you learn quickly that, as advanced as perhaps modern day systems are, they are far far from perfect.

But I digress... as Sergei pointed out, the T-72 is anything but ultra-modern. Besides the fact that you'll be spending some time in the T-34 and T-55 before being able to field the T-72 (in the campaign at least), it doesn't add much modern to WW2 tank style combat than a night vision system and a rangefinder. And believe me, you'll be far from fire&forget with that smile.gif

Anyway, I suggest to still check out the demo when it's available and compare what you see to the other games you mentioned.

Martin

, it doesn't add much modern to WW2 tank style combat than a night vision system and a rangefinder. And believe me, you'll be far from fire&forget with that smile.gif

Martin

Moon, does it model the barrel launched ATGM?

I started losing interest in the modern stuff with M1 Tank Platoon 2, I didn't mind the original tank platoon as I thought it did pretty damn well for the systems it had to run on. This game has renewed my interest in the genre, I'm looking forward to giving the demo a go and most probably the full game.

As for the setting, it doesn't bother me at all I generally don't identify to closely with nationalities or ethics of the games I play (most(all?) games I play involve killing, people identifying to closely with that I find somewhat bothersome.)

If it bothers you to much think of it this way, Serb, Croat, Bosnian all sides committed atrocities so no matter which side you play you will be beating up on the baddies.

Originally posted by Speedy:

As for the setting, it doesn't bother me at all I generally don't identify to closely with nationalities or ethics of the games I play (most(all?) games I play involve killing, people identifying to closely with that I find somewhat bothersome.)

If it bothers you to much think of it this way, Serb, Croat, Bosnian all sides committed atrocities so no matter which side you play you will be beating up on the baddies.

Considering how popular it is to play Nazis (not to mention Soviets or Imperialists), I find the sudden acquisition of conscience by so many to be somewhat amusing. ;)

Sirocco, it's funny that you mention the Microprose games. Because those, plus that modern Steel Panthers game (forget what it was called, Steel Panthers MBT or something like that?), made me lose my interest in anything modern for a while as well. The fire&forget type of combat it seemed to portray seemed absolutely boring.

It took some time before I realized that this was due to the arcade-ish game design, rather than a hi-fidelity simulation. From play-testing DW you learn quickly that, as advanced as perhaps modern day systems are, they are far far from perfect.

But I digress... as Sergei pointed out, the T-72 is anything but ultra-modern. Besides the fact that you'll be spending some time in the T-34 and T-55 before being able to field the T-72 (in the campaign at least), it doesn't add much modern to WW2 tank style combat than a night vision system and a rangefinder. And believe me, you'll be far from fire&forget with that smile.gif

Anyway, I suggest to still check out the demo when it's available and compare what you see to the other games you mentioned.

I'm sure you have a point. I might download the demo to see how it plays.

Akuma, you'll only be able to get it from this website here, and it will be fully localized in english (with some options e.g. to use Russian voices instead etc. if you like).

Speedy, yes, the ATGM is modelled. OK, that is a bit of fire and forget smile.gif But not entirely, because you need to keep the sight on target, which is more difficult than one might think if the target is hull down and there is smoke and dust all around (the particle engine in the game is outstanding).

Martin

(just kidding)

Martin

OK then!

being that it is only for PC users you won't get my sale.

BUT I too want the NEW improved WWll tank sim with the latest graphics and the newest game engine AND on a MAC OS X system as well!

:D

its NICE to dream

(I say that because I am a NICHE market of ONE guy, JUST a guy with a MAC that wants a WWII tank sim....)

OH well

I can wait for CMx2 at Least I can count on that Mac OS X project NOT turning into vapour ware!

thanks

-tom w

Well, we do have a nice surprise for you Mac user(s) ;) (and Linux, too...)

Too early to say more than that right now.

Martin

That's evil, he's practically wetting his pants in anticipation of CMX2 already tongue.gif .

Seriously though, I have a question about multiplayer.

Will there be something like a FPS deathmatch? Or do you guys have something else in mind?

[ February 21, 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: stikkypixie ]