Combat Mission under Mac OS X

Chris. I'm really glad you showed me the X version of switchRes, but I can't get it to work with CMBB. I'm running 10.2, so that may have something to do with it.

I made a set just for CMBB I have a rule set for CMBB so it is NOT allowed to change resolutions, but what I see happen is CMBB starting, changing to 640x480 quickly, then swithing back to 800x600. Unfortunately CMBB has already started at 640x480 and gives me the message that 800x600 is needed and quits.

Exactly where are the settings you are using? Maybe it just doesn't work in 10.2 I don't know but I'm feeling better about it.

Scott

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Just to clarify - you can get CMBO to work but not CMBB?

That's correct. CMBO runs correctly all the way through playing turns. CMBB runs up to the point of loading 3D graphics and then continues to behave functionally (i.e. I can select units, pan and zoom, cause the popup menus to pop up, etc.) but the graphics are so munged that you can't really tell what you're looking at, and the text in the popups is mostly unreadable or not there.

Also are you running OS X.2 or OS X.1.x?

I'm running X.1 with 9.2.2. I usually run 9.2.2 (I bought X just to get 9) but have been playing around with it and CMBB for the past couple days since it seems like my best chance to get CMBB to run on my obsolete machine. In 9.2.2, CMBB just crashes out to the finder when it gets to the 3D graphics load. If I force CMBO to higher resolutions (800x600, 1024x768) it, too, crashes out in 9.2.2, but works ok in those resolutions with 8.6 and X.1.

Originally posted by karch:

[QB]Chris. I'm really glad you showed me the X version of switchRes, but I can't get it to work with CMBB. I'm running 10.2, so that may have something to do with it.

/QB]

Here's my settings, they are the same for CMBO and CMBB (SwitchRes can't tell the difference):

Display Set: cmbb

resolution:800x600 in thousands of colors

everything else at default values.

Application settings for cmbb

Use Display Set cmbb

don't let it change the resolution

One thing that's a little weird about SwitchRes is that if the "apply" button is active, you should click it, otherwise your settings won't take, and you need to reapply after any sort of change. It's caught me a couple times where I just close the settings dialog for the app or the set

and forget to reapply.

I'd be interested to see if anyone can get CMBB to render properly in OSX, since I have such an ancient machine that it may be part of my problem. The ancient (~3 years old) laptop works fine for most of my needs, except it won't play CMBB...

Just an update.

My Ti PB has the same result. That is, CMBO OK (at 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 - millions of colours) but CMBB fails (generates an error and then quits nicely).

I noticed that you can't list CMBB as a seperate application, Switch Res only seems to acknowledge CMBO as an app.

Any ideas why you can't have independent listing for CMBB and CMBO?

CMBO also appears pretty sluggish in this mode (as opposed to rebooting in 9.2.2).

[ September 04, 2002, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Originally posted by gibsonm:

I noticed that you can't list CMBB as a seperate application, Switch Res only seems to acknowledge CMBO as an app.

Any ideas why you can't have independent listing for CMBB and CMBO?

They both use the same application ID (CtMO) so SwitchRes can't tell them apart. I actually selected CMBB when I set up SwitchRes and it changed how it's labelled to Combat Mission 1.12 on its own.

CMBO also appears pretty sluggish in this mode (as opposed to rebooting in 9.2.2).

When you run it in OSX you get software 3D rendering instead of taking advantage of the hardware rendering of whatever graphics chip is on your graphics card.

So it sounds like if BFI can NOT have CMBB try and change resolution to 640x480, then we should be able to play in software mode. Probably won't make it into the game now, but hopefully will be released in a Mac patch at some time.

Either the Mac is forcing the res change or CMBB is. If it's the Mac, we're out of luck, but it's probably just CMBB. The software 3d res change to 640x480 is probably left over code from CMBO and they just forgot to only take it down to 800x600 as that is now the MIN resolution.

Lets hope they can do it.

Originally posted by wildboar:

Is there a cure for this? Or do i simply have to forget OS X and remain in OS 9.2.2

Fred

If I were you, I'd forget Combat Mission and remain in OS X. Combat Mission is one of the only games that doesn't support OS X natively and there are a lot of that have been released that will not support OS 9.

I was very shocked and displeased to find out that Combat Mission BB is not a carbon or OS X native app. :confused:

Oh well, I'm not too broken up over it. I'll just go back to playing world war II online.

Originally posted by goatwarrior:

...........If I were you, I'd forget Combat Mission and remain in OS X.........[/QB]

OR..... you could use both. Use OSX for everything except Combat Mission, then reboot into 9 for your games of Combat mission ( less than 2 minutes on a fast machine). Then boot back into X when you are done. Yes it's not what we want, but it's very easy to do and you still get to play Combat Mission. WWII Online may be a fun game for some, but it's no replacement for Combat Mission, they can't really be compared except for the fact that they take place in WWII.

Originally posted by karch:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by goatwarrior:

...........If I were you, I'd forget Combat Mission and remain in OS X.........

OR..... you could use both. Use OSX for everything except Combat Mission, then reboot into 9 for your games of Combat mission ...[/QB]</font>

Originally posted by jaypee:

I'm a bit puzzled :confused: as to how long it takes you to boot between 9 and X. I run both on my Mac (DP450 OS 9.2.2 and X.1.5) and it takes only about 2 minutes (never put a stop watch to it or counted the clicks).

Really it's well worth this minor inconvenience to get the full glory of a game that is as addictive as cat food with heroin in it. To play it in the Classic mode with the rave disabled (ta for the tip which somebody posted here) is a sad and inadequate option but it works at least for CMBO . So if you prefer the Quartz Aqua with bouncing docks to the exclusion of dusty steppes with brewing panzers- so be it ;)

Originally posted by Wicky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jaypee:

I'm a bit puzzled :confused: as to how long it takes you to boot between 9 and X.</font>
Not worded too well I suppose. Of course it only takes a few minutes to reboot. The half hour was long enough to check out the demo, realize what I would be missing, frown, and reboot back to X. As I said, rebooting is not an option for me. For a few non-circumventable reasons, my machine must stay in OS X.

jaypee,

All I can say is I hope after a few months of seeing how cool CMBB is, you change your mind and find a way to allow booting back into 9 occasionally for the game. Is it also being used as a server of sorts? I just can't imagine why you wouldn't be allowed to reboot back into 9.

I hope things change. I really want as many Mac users as possible to buy CMBB since they are tracked separate from Windows CDs. I'd really be crushed if the engine rewrite was not a Mac program because not enough Mac users bought CMBB. Just my 2 cents. All the best.

Hi,

for newer macs, (made in the last 2 years), if you reboot the machine and hold down the OPTION key, a bootup selector is shown. This way, my default is OSX but whenever i want to play CMBB, i reboot, hold down the option key, choose the the virgin OS9 disk partition and play CMBB, when everything is finished, I reboot without worrying is it OSX or OS9 etc coz the default i set earlier is OSx.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've been running the demo of CMBO on my original G3 Powerbook, unfortunately it then decided to go haywire on me and it ended up being cheaper to buy a new ibook than it was to get the powerbook fixed.

Unfortunately the new ibook runs osx and while it looks snazzy it doesn't like cmbo much. I want to buy the full version but not until i figure out how to run it .

If someone could help me out

first when i run cmbo by deleating the classic extension the units and the sky take on a wierd stripy colour look.

Second, i'm fairly good with computers but have no idea about how to set up a partition could anyone help me out or tell me where a good guide might be found.

Thanks very much

Will

Shouldn't need to partition if you already have 9.2 installed - In OSX just go to System Preferences... - Startup Disk and ask it to boot from your 9 system folder et viola - CM:BO/CM:BB in all it's glory. When your done - Control Panel - Startup Disk - and you're back in OSX - shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes to alternate beween OS's.

Partitioning is best done when new and before you've installed programs etc as it's done from your system install disk stage but there are utilities that can do later on without wiping out data.

Hope that helps

[ September 17, 2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Thanks for the quick reply wicky

Ok now to the other problem, i know it's in other topics as well but this one is good for all problems osx

When i start up cm either in classic mode or by booting up to os9 i delete the classic rave extension if i don't do this it freezes at loading 3d images.

However when i reach the actual game the textures are all screwing. The actual ground is fine as is the wall of houses and trees, however the units, roofs and sky are all a mass of colours. for example the c&c lines are white and my tanks are black with little dots, in the apple cinema display thread there is a screen shot, mine is slightly better than that but you get the idea. Also the info down on the bottom of the screen is unreadable

I have tried to make it work with a range of different resolutions 640 480 through to 1042 768 but it remains exactly the same i have also tried different amounts of colours 1000 and millions still the same

i have a brand new ibook, 384megs of ram, 700mhz 16megs of vram,

any thoughts anyone has are very welcome,

thanks very much

Will

Originally posted by melb_will:

When i start up cm either in classic mode or by booting up to os9 i delete the classic rave extension if i don't do this it freezes at loading 3d images.

Not sure exactly what you are doing when you say you're deleting the Rave extension.??

If you are in OSX and want to run CM through classic emulation ( not the best option, as the graphics are 'orrible - just done it and it doesn't do CM justice) Goto - System Prefs/Sytem - Classic/Advanced/Open Extensions Manager/ Start Classic/ turn Classic Rave off/Continue. You should then be able to run a yukky CM

I just tested the straight Startup boot from OSX into my OS9 (which I use as classic, which I have installed on a seperate partition but ignore that) to check my extensions sets and to see if CMBO would run (even with 'old 9.2.2 factory issue' not up to date ATI drivers). The classic RAVE was on - I think this only gets called upon when doing the Classic emulation and does diddly squat otherwise - and CM ran sweet.

If you are deleting the RAVE extension after booting this will not do much as it's loaded during the bootup - you'll see the extensions loading along the bottom of the screen as this happens - Extensions and control panels are deactivated by switching off in the extensions manager (by holding down the space bar during booting until the extensions extensions manager window comes up) not by deleting the file. Importantly all the graphics card's extensions will need to be on not turned off.

Keep persevering and let us know if you get up and running

tongue.gif

[ September 18, 2002, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Ok, thanks everyone for the advice but so far no luck

I disabled the classic rave extension through extension manager but the same thing still happens, the texture of the battlefield is awesome, the trees are more clear than they were with my old g3 but the texture of the roofs, units and sky is screwy as is the info down the bottom. For example in the latest time i tried units roof etc were in black and white as were all movement lines except los, when issuing orders through the menu all you can see is a colum of short cut keys, and the bottom has text all over the place and you can't see any buttons.

It seems to me like it is somthing to do with the graphics card, but i'm not exactly sure how to fix it

the card type by system profiler is

ATY, DDParent, Name is ATY, FallParent, and Model is ATY, RageM6, I cant see anything about those at the ati site. If anyone else is playing with an ibook could you let me know what card you have to see if i can isolate the problem

thanks very much

Will

Originally posted by melb_will:

Ok, thanks everyone for the advice but so far no luck

I disabled the classic rave extension through extension manager but the same thing still happens....

It seems to me like it is somthing to do with the graphics card, but i'm not exactly sure how to fix it

the card type by system profiler is

ATY, DDParent, Name is ATY, FallParent, and Model is ATY, RageM6, I cant see anything about those at the ati site. If anyone else is playing with an ibook could you let me know what card you have to see if i can isolate the problem

thanks very much

Will

Was this going through OSX classic or booted into 9.2.2 ? Forget about running CM in OSX, 9.2.2 is the best way (for now) to run CMBO and BB

Have you when booted up from you 9.2.2 system folder - tried Extensions Manager / Selected Set / Mac 9.2.2 All or Base set then restarted? - If you physically deleted files from your system folder when early troubleshooting you'll need to reinstall any missing items.

Your ibook from looking at its specs should run CM, it's display resolutions for either 12.1" or 14.1" model is OK (optimised for 800-by-600 or 640-by-480). Your ATI Radeon Mobility 16mb is up to the job as well as the standard OS9.2.2 ATI drivers. I believe somehow along the way you've disabled / deleted a vital extension/ that is necessary for CM to function .

If that doesn't work I'll pop down to the local PC world and try to replicate your install/running problem. smile.gif