new nvidia driver @ 3dguru

Just downloaded this driver and finally replaced the old 30.82 driver with it. I can play Combat Mission with no problems at all.

YEAH!

I guess that means I can go out and get one of those fancy 5950 cards now. Currently have a GeForce Ti4600 128mb. Not really sure what I would pick up from that type of an upgrade besides an additional 128mb of memory on the card.

How much faster are the 5950 cards over a Ti4600?

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Just downloaded this driver and finally replaced the old 30.82 driver with it. I can play Combat Mission with no problems at all.

YEAH!

I guess that means I can go out and get one of those fancy 5950 cards now. Currently have a GeForce Ti4600 128mb. Not really sure what I would pick up from that type of an upgrade besides an additional 128mb of memory on the card.

How much faster are the 5950 cards over a Ti4600?

Tom's Hardware has vga charts comparing many different cards.

Jack - Yeah, a high-end FX card will gain you ground (esp. 5900 & up), BUT, the Ti4600 was a solid performer (I still run one in my other box, and it runs CMAK just fine).

You could easily wait for the next round of vid cards from Nvidia and ATI, and not really miss out (assuming your CPU is above a 1.2 or something - one interesting chart at Tom's hardware shows the difference between same vid card/different CPU's...)

Thanks for this information. Interesting comparisons for these cards. I still love my Ti4600. I recently upgraded my processor slightly, now at 2.25ghz, and made some cosmetic changes, fans and cables. Just checked the price on the 5950 cards and they are a little high for my pocketbook at the moment.

[ February 25, 2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Jack Carr ]

Hmm. Strange. I got curious after I read all these comments and tried the driver. Looked fine and so, but I had definitely reduced performance. Panning the camera over the battlefield delivered some heavy choppiness. I didn´t run any tests, since it was obvious that CMAK suffered. And installation went fine, I assure you, and I also looked for conflicts with the old driver. None of it. So, I guess my system just didn´t like it...

FX 5900 128mb

1024 RAM

Asus P4S8X

XP Home

Gurra

I also have the 5900 card 128mb.

In CM i have about the same performance compared with my older drivers (very good)

With Call of Duty, i have now far better performance !

Gurra, did you benchmark before and after the driver update ?

If the benchmark after the update give a far lower number, something went wrong maybe.

Monty

Hi.

No, I didn´t do any benchmark. It was a tree heavy map though, and I always use 6X AA and 8X aniso, so of course I can expect some choppiness, but I assure you that with the same setting the choppiness was DEFINITELY worse when panning. I guess that means performance overall should be worse. And yes, I always use Melfa Bridgehead as my comparison map. I didn´t try any other game either. It might have been a little fast there, but CM is the benchmark that counts for me.

I uninstalled the 53.03 driver via windows add/remove, reeboted, chose the new driver and installed it, and finally ran Nvidia Nasty File Remover. No signs of the old one. Set the settings and went into game. Choppiness.

??

My card is a MSI. What brand do you guys have? I mean, could that have something to do with it?

[ February 27, 2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Gurra ]