Official MNB World War II at Sea Website Opens

Note to Dave H, and administrators,

Perhaps in the future of registrars, they could put a little snippet in the corner by your login name like they do for credit cards, member since oct 1944 or something, so someone else doesnt collect a bucket of Bile undeservedly. But then again, dont take something for granted that everyone here is an oldtimer either and is tuned into your level of interaction. Thanks for the initial impression, I feel more welcome already! LOL.

2nd point, to say, "beat me like a christian", runs parallel to the term, "slap me around and call me susan", from the oscar winning film, "Blankman". If you play on the edge of humor, you will understand.

3rd point. What is a Hog?

a Definition specifically for you Dave H.

Hogs, as I am one of, a select few from a military past. Is not a term for a redskins fat chick in a pajama dress, or something looking for truffles in Arkansas cheering their old school song.

To be "a Hog" is still credited as an initial acceptance within a world of intel, with even more opportunities to excel in the world of Special Ops.

With an attrition rate of 75% failure rate, of those just exposed to a skill in the Army's initial school training, Im surprised I made it myself.'reflection point.

Getting hammered mentally for 6 standard hours a day (M-F), 6days a week, then 3 more additional hours of "remedial" per day, Plus, 6 on the weekend, if you couldnt keep up, your head fried quickly. or was it the bad 3.2 beer, not quite sure, 'scratchin my head.

Good ol' Samuel B. Morse, a man I will admire.

Why, because some of the best nations in the world still have some of the best Ops in the world, and can crank the code fast enough to make the laymen think, "Dude, I think your listening to a FAX!! but you know better, get on it, get thru it, copy it, interpret and report. Not just the common 26 and 10 on the upper row, nope, too easy. You've got all sorts of special combinations to know, chatter, Q's, Z's, P.Y., FSK, etc, all in the twitch of a finger on the controls, you've got to be better on keys or with stick (pencil). And I was.

For over 20 years, I banged the best, sippin on a can of coffee, sometimes holding a Red-lensed pen-light in my teeth under a hooch and cursed at "the fool" on the other side cause he couldnt get his act together on "the Key". I even stood in awe next to some of my old instructors, as they churned out 40Groups per minute, and sang a song at the same time to ya like it was Rag-time! The standard was set by the older Hogs, do or fail.

Worked with some of the worlds best along side, up top, and down underway. Loving terms, like, "Habu", meant something; the highest flying, fastest aircraft still today, built and used by US. Getting the patch meant more!

My team worked exclusively with the 6990th. In Shadows of dragons breath. The Habu, The deuce, the 135's, EP-3's.

To keep the peace we flew........unarmed.

Ive accompanied them all.

Ive met the two man crews Ive kept alive, and when asked upon return by a jumpsuiter from a tight one, "what can we do to repay you as a debt we owe you?", I got to touch that beauty!

Not from the edge of some yellow-taped exclusion zone, but from within, front and backseats. She is alive, her skin, midnight blue, and eyes of a hawk.

"Little stinker", you are forever in my heart on that sunny rock in the South China sea"!

Still today, that ol gal can vanish from visual sight in an Ice-Blue flamed combat takeoff in just about 4seconds.......and I got to see her every time from OKI, before I sat down with my A.F. friends of the ESG, and waited for the bad guys to panic about her run, as I tipped the toggle and gave up some great copy. It would have been a great bag, if they had caught ya, but they couldnt, you were too fast, too high, and just too damned good!

With a third of todays countries still communicating in basic modes unimaginable by todays "modern, Hi-Techkoo" mediums, we are still untilized in some of the smallest regions of the world; sometimes in 3man teams, concealed in one hole together, working 4hour shifts, with a deliberately concealed hand-crafted antenna, catching the smallest of information on the lowest transmitable power systems active today, and reporting out what has been collected. Avoiding active contacts, searches or compromises, of which I personally could have told you the individual that almost stepped on me was still wearing those highly prized canvas tops of my youth called "Keds", because they were a great shoe for that environment.

Still being cleared-for-weird, we advanced thru special schools, some just an additional few months, involving weapons or demo, some requireing a bit more, over a years worth of training in trauma medicine, because "when you lose it out here, you're in a world of hurt."

True words spoken by another veteran, Jesse Ventura, but taken lightly by those that did not realize.

Final goals were to achieve what only few ever did, because you stuck it out, beyond what mother-nature threw at you, though you were cold beyond belief, wet thru and thru, hungry enough to ignore a naked Playboy bunny for entering your camp without any real food in her basket, and tired enough to swear with delusions you could smell a donkin dougnuts place, in some of the worst natural environments known on this planet. You laughed with your buddy about your mental images, tricks played on you. You stuck it out because the guy next to you counted on you sticking it out, and you mentally ate that up.

The final gift, should I say, the gift earned; the crest,"De Opresso Liber", to be worn forever because no one can ever take that away from you.

With so much more to know, train for, and teach others, you moved on. Deeper, tougher training, advances, operations or reasons. But, in most cases, each of us started out as Hogs.

Dave H, I hope that sheds a little more light for ya.

"Fail to plan, plan to fail".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hog, step away from the keyboard, take a deep breath, have a beer, grab some chips, and check out my previous intel. The game from all indications is still a go, you just need to wait till a certain programmer has time to do an outside project called Combat Mission: Shock Force. smile.gif Thats the meat and potatos for Battlefront so it takes priority. smile.gif

When I can get some more intel from Dan, I will certainly pass it on. I will say it took DIF 4 years to make, so 2 years isnt that long.

Sua Sponte

Thanks Six,

Im sure you folks in the design/plan room are busy with alot of things. My response regarding a definition for Dave H was not meant to be anything negative on "staff". Just a better understanding for someone that needs one.

Good luck on your projects. I look forward to your simulations. I enjoyed Harpoon, and have no idea why its gone to the dust or even perhaps opened up to some of the older equipment/times, and expanded. oh well.

hogsrule!

Originally posted by 05hogsrule:

Note to Dave H, and administrators,

3rd point. What is a Hog?

To be "a Hog" is still credited as an initial acceptance within a world of intel, with even more opportunities to excel in the world of Special Ops.

The final gift, should I say, the gift earned; the crest,"De Opresso Liber", to be worn forever because no one can ever take that away from you.

With so much more to know, train for, and teach others, you moved on. Deeper, tougher training, advances, operations or reasons. But, in most cases, each of us started out as Hogs.

"Fail to plan, plan to fail".

Geez, I must be getting older than I thought [62yrs last month], 'cuz I don't remember anythin' about no piggies... };D> To me, you guys was just "Sparkies"... :sigh: Then again, I was over 125# lighter, still had (almost) all of my hair, and my ideals, and.. and.. and..

Oh, and the poster I remember the best simply said "Your MIND is your Primary Weapon!" Believe it or not, I actually could understand that one... :D

Take care.

"Da Bookworm"

[one of the more 'polite' nicknames I had... :sigh: ]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes that would be nice... smile.gif

Gordon Atkins made a good point about GNBNA, that was a great game! I know MNB WWII at sea will be a good game to, however extremely different to GNBNA. I hope some day someone will develope a game similar to GNBNA but with Meditereanean Options...and of course really nice graphics.

• 3 months later...

so are we looking at a static table using the CMx2 engine for animations or are we going to get a game where we can sail ships around and vie for position like in fighting steel

Originally posted by Dan Verssen:

Good News!

MNB-WWII will use the engine being developed for Combat Mission - Shock Force, so it will look amazing.

As soon as Shock Force is wrapped up, coding will begin on MNB-WWII.

Yay! News!

Anyways, I was sifting through the MNB-WWII site and looking at the screenshots from development and I happened to notice that the Capitani Romani class seems to have triple turrets.

Since those are concept art shots, I hope that it isn't the case in the final product. Capitani Romani (aka Attilio Regolo) had twin turrets, not triples.

It can be seen here (page for the class): http://www.marina.difesa.it/storia/Almanacco/Parte04/Navi0428.htm

And more clearly in the photos for the Scipione Africano which are here:

http://www.marina.difesa.it/storia/Almanacco/Parte04/Navi0428-09.htm

Hi Shrike,

I see what you mean. You are right, all 4 ships in this class used the 2 gun mount. I think whoever made the art confused it with the Andrea Doria which used the same gun model (Ansaldo and OTO model 1938 135mm/45) but with the triple mountings.

You confused me with the use of the word turret. smile.gif If you see this kind of stuff again call them mountings for the gun part!!! smile.gif

I see what you mean. I was trying to use general terms.

The proper wording, for the USN, would be:

Turret - built into the ship, includes a stalk below the weather deck and a barbette.

Mount - not part of the ship's structure. Does not include a barbette.

Triple/Twin - All guns in the turret/mount share a slide or cradle and cannot elevate independently.

Three-Gun/Two-Gun - Guns in the turret/mount are individually sleeved and can elevate independently of each other.

Only the USN apparently had such designations to differentiate the layout. According to Navweaps.com the 135mm/45 Model 1937 and 1938 came in Two-Gun and Three-Gun turrets for the Capitani Romani and Andrea Doria respectively. Navweaps generally uses the USN nomenclature to show what type of turret/mount the other nations used.

So technically, I was half-correct by saying triple turret. ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by Sequoia:

Since Dan Verssen is now officialy working on Hornet Leader has MNB been sunk or only in dry dock?

In the General Forum he mentioned he was working on a Stalingrad card game. That doesn't sound very promising for this game either.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...