New DIF Lobby Server, info on how to connect inside!!!

Madmatt

Hi everyone! Due to persistent issues on our former server, we have recently moved the lobby system to a new server. Unfortuantly, for people that already have the game, there is no way for us to automatically change your games configuration to SEE this new server. However, by performing the steps listed below you should be able to connect and play on the new server.

The change involves editing a single config file and we are going to try and make this as painless as possible for you.

To do so, browse to "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Down in Flames" (or wherever you installed the game on your machine), and open the file "DiFOUpdater.exe.config" using Windows Notepad.

Modify the contents of the file so that it looks like the section below. In particular, make sure the URL matches "http://downinflamesgames.com:8888/DiFOService/DiFOUpdate.asmx".

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="Install.services.DiFOUpdate" value="http://downinflamesgames.com:8888/DiFOService/DiFOUpdate.asmx" />

<add key="ProgramName" value="bin\DiFOLobbyClient.exe" />

<add key="LogErrors" value="True" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

After making the above changes, SAVE the file and then run the auto-updater by clicking on the Windows “Start” button and then “All Programs/Battlefront/Down in Flames/Update Down in Flames. You should see a dialog display the progress of files being downloaded. Once the download is complete, you should be good to go.

That should do it!

Madmatt

[ May 20, 2008, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

'Got the changes made and it was working fine, but since yesterday evening, I haven't been able to create an online game after getting connected. The one other person I saw online since then said they were having the same problem.

It goes to the game screen where you normally accept the game, but never gives you that query box. Instead, you get a small pop up that says:

"Unable to join game"

"The was a problem connecting to the game server"

"Reason Code : NoResponse"

• 3 months later...

No, it hasn't been solved. The only workaround that I'm aware of is to install Microsoft's Virtual PC and run the game within a Windows XP environment. Probably more hassle than most people are willing to deal with, but it is a free download for those who want to try it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

• 1 month later...

Since it's conceivably possible I'm not the only person who is seeing a bunch of html coding in Madmatt's instructions, here are the instructions again without the coding.

Hi everyone! Due to persistent issues on our former server, we have recently moved the lobby system to a new server. Unfortuantly, for people that already have the game, there is no way for us to automatically change your games configuration to SEE this new server. However, by performing the steps listed below you should be able to connect and play on the new server.

The change involves editing a single config file and we are going to try and make this as painless as possible for you.

Here is the process to manually edit your "servers.config" file (located in your Down in Flames "bin" folder) so that it can connect to the new server.

To do so, browse into you Down in Flames game folder, then open the "bin" folder and then open the "servers.config" file with Windows notepad and edit it so that is looks like this (just the text below the 'code:' line)

code:

<servers>

<server name="BFC"

address="downinflamesgames.com"

port="8080" default=true"/>

</servers>

Note that in my own servers.config file, the only two changes I recall having to make, were changing the word 'online' after 'downinflames' to 'games' (as in, there are two games now, with the Eastern Front expansion), and changing the default from 'false' to 'true'. It might be best not to touch any of the other characters, just in case the system needs to read one kind of quote mark and not another kind (or whatever).

Also open the DiFOUpdater.exe.config file with notepad (located in the "Down in Flames" folder [meaning you have to go back up one folder directory--it isn't in the bin folder where we found the first file]) to look like the following [below the 'code' mark again--DO NOT INCLUDE THE WORD 'CODE' OR THE COLON!]:

code:

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="Install.services.DiFOUpdate"

value="http://downinflamesgames.com:8888/DiFOService/DiFOUpdate.asmx"/>

<add key="ProgramName" value="bin\DiFOLobbyClient.exe" />

<add key="LogErrors" value="True" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

After making the above changes, SAVE the file and then relaunch the game. It will then check for new updates and automatically download the other new files.

That should do it!

Madmatt

My original config file also included two extra lines at the top, not mentioned in Madmatt's instructions: the first line set up xml version 1.0, and the second line set up encoding utf-8. I have no idea whether these are supposed to be left alone yet, or deleted. I'll try leaving them alone first, and then I'll see what happens.

Otherwise, in this file I think the only thing that changes is 'online' becomes 'games' (as in the previous file), with that port address ':8888' right after '.com' before the other folder names.

Hope this was helpful!

Edited to add: yep, that worked! Only, launching the game doesn't automatically check for updates. You'll have to do that within the game from the help tab at the top menu along the window, or else go to the 'start' menu for Windows, find the Battlefront list, the Down in Flames list, and finally the Check Updates command.

• 1 month later...
Alas this didn't work for me - even with Jason's readable version.

I've slept several times since giving the new de-html'd translation {wry g}... so I have no idea what more might need to be done. (I seem to recall there was in fact more that needed to be done... sigh...)

I should note, by the way, that I was never able to play any scenario other than Dunkirk. Which was terribly frustrating. (I mean not being able to play any other scenario, not the Dunkirk scenario itself, though I think I did lose... :D ) I have no idea why, and eventually I just gave up and uninstalled the thing again, after playing around with the local pilot game for a while. (Which still requires server access of some sort, of course.)

Ironically, I only just last night got tired of squinting at my screen in the unusual resolution mode that the game requires you to run in (rather than automatically tweaking your screen's mode itself like practically every other game known to man since the 90s), and put it back to normal high-res. Ah, bliss...

It's a dang shame. I love the game, love the playing system, love the campaign concept, kind of love the local quasi-campaign-rpg-group-managing system...

Oh well. Busily pondering how to find revised versions of the original CMBO missions that will play in CMAK (with the new ETO/Normandy mod-collection sets)... And working my way through the Brothers In Arms series for the first time.

• 4 weeks later...

It amazes me that companies can stay in business with an overabundance of terrible tech support and shoddy cutomer service. We shouldn't have to rely on user participation forums to repair games and software that we pay good money for.

Shame on you Madmatt, an administrator mind you, for posting a fix with a bunch of HTML tags in it that the uninitiated would never understand. And shame on you for posting it over 5 months ago and never bothering to check back and see if it helped.

Thank you JasonPratt for cleaning it up, but shame on you, your version has an error too. You forgot the quote mark in front of the "true" tag.

Here is the correct version:

<servers>

<server name="BFC"

address="downinflamesgames.com"

port="8080" default="true"/>

</servers>

• 1 month later...

I tried maddmatt et als solution and was able to get my game to update, but i still can't play online. The error is "no response" or something like that. I saw that mentioned somewhere in these posts. Has anyone found a solution for this yet. Haven't played in a couple of years now and would like to get back into it.

I tried maddmatt et als solution and was able to get my game to update, but i still can't play online. The error is "no response" or something like that. I saw that mentioned somewhere in these posts. Has anyone found a solution for this yet. Haven't played in a couple of years now and would like to get back into it.

I tried this as well and I have the same problem (I'm using Windows XP by the way). Can someone official please provide a solution? I'm not sure the solution at the beginning of this thread, which was posted in May 2008, is even still relevant. The game was advertized as having over 20 campaigns and that is what I wanted to play when I paid $35 for it yesterday on Battlefront.

I tried this as well and I have the same problem (I'm using Windows XP by the way). Can someone official please provide a solution? I'm not sure the solution at the beginning of this thread, which was posted in May 2008, is even still relevant. The game was advertized as having over 20 campaigns and that is what I wanted to play when I paid $35 for it yesterday on Battlefront.

If you are still having problems getting connected, send an e-mail to difadmin@battlefront.com and we'll try to figure out what the problem is. Thanks.

If you are still having problems getting connected, send an e-mail to difadmin@battlefront.com and we'll try to figure out what the problem is. Thanks.

Thanks for the follow up. I played again today and got on okay. Perhaps, the server was down? Just wondering is there any way to get the campaign content as a download, so you don't need to be online to play it?

Thanks for the follow up. I played again today and got on okay. Perhaps, the server was down? Just wondering is there any way to get the campaign content as a download, so you don't need to be online to play it?

There is no way to do that right now, but that is probably one of the most often requested features. Maybe someday.

I just tried to play on my Vista (Home Premium) laptop and I get the same error code, -216.....

I have reinstalled Netframework 1.1 and Dx9.0c, turned Windows Defender and Trend Micro suite off opened port 8080, done a rain dance, sacrificed virgins, and joined a cult and still no joy.

Any thoughts except for running an emulator as I do not have a XP cd and forgot to ask the wifey to ask her IT guy at work if he has an install disk lying around.

-Ray

The problem with Vista is that Microsoft decided to drop support for certain DirectX functionality on the Vista platform. I have heard from a couple of people that say they were able to get everything working on their Vista machines, but I can't get it to work on my machine. So, as far as I know, there is no work around except the VirtualPC option.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have installed demo version of Down in Flames today and am unable to connect to server. I get messages 'The server does not exist, or is unavailable'. I am using server downinflamesonline.com port 8080. Windows XP.

I read this thread but there is no DiFOUpdater.exe.config file in my game folder.

Thanks!

Hi,

I have figured this out on my self then noticed this info is already in this thread. But it is not clearly marked.

If you have DEMO version you need to change just one file:

bin/servers.config:

<servers>

<server name="BFC" address="downinflamesgames.com" port="8080" default="true"/>

</servers>

That's all.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi There,

I bought the full version of the game yesterday and cannot log on to the server. I tried editing the servers.config file as suggested above but it makes no difference - it just reverts to "false" and will not log on. I get a message saying the server cannot be found and advising me to check the server name. If I make the file "read only" then the game won't update and I get another error message. This game looks interesting but is infuriatingly hard to get started online - on the verge of giving up.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...