SC2 terrible interface...

Hello all,

I have just found out that C2 was out... So i have the demo and will work on it...

First impression, the game interface is really awful... Like many people, I find that the tiles and the 3d perspective is a big step back from SC1...

I will try to get used to it and to stick with the game but it really repels me...

Desaix

Desaix, ...many other's have initially had a similar reaction to your's, including me, but as you give yourself a chance to acclimate to this alternate perspective, you will probably get quite used to it!.

Now, i myself, prefer it!,...and it's not an irritation or hardship in any way!.

I hope that you can make it work out for you!.

I think the main problem with the interface is basic visual design. The perspective and graphics can be discussed, but I think for this game the graphcis are good enough (or even above the required level), but the layout, colors, separating lines, i.e. the visual feeling lacks a professional touch.

I can't explain this better, as I am no professional in visual design. Its the same difference as with advertisements made by no-pros and advertisements made by visual design professionals. A home-made feeling.

The game is great anyhow: I can get past this and enjoy this great game. However, I'm afraid that many people trying the demo are repelled due to the lack of professional visual design.

It's definitely experimental, Tiles. In a formerly Hexagon enviroment, I think that right now I'm a little concerned in places that the tiles do not add up. As in confined places, it allows many ways to flank and attack while with hexes it limits some exploits so to speak. It would be more realistic to stack units rather than Tile more into the equation?

I'm thinking operationally. More so than Cosmetics. However, if one might increase the size of the Mouth of Spain and France, Italy.. some regions to allow flanking manuevers, perhaps I might change my mind. It's also easier to bottle up in these regions and in other regions, where historically and with hexes it might not be possible. Perhaps these tiles could be controlled some also? They allow for a little too much firepower to come upon certian tiles... You almost need it written down so you do not use that tile. (naval warfare) So far, it seems again you learn the hexes and you know precisely what moves to make rather than rely on intuitive feel... I sort of feel like trading in Iceland for this feature... and USSR is big enough

All and all, you're not going to change the Tiles now, live with them and make them improved. I'm sure you'll learn them as you did hexagons 10-15 years ago. Didn't SSI release Tile wargames in that era, or were they with less sides?

I tried the demo and it didn't click for me. I didn't like the square tiles or the view. Granted, I didn't give it a fair shot and will probably try it again (now that I've finished another Rome: Total War campaign).

Still, comments like some above make me think I won't buy the game for a couple of years -- when I can pick up a copy cheap on E-Bay.

Originally posted by BRO,JD:

I tried the demo and it didn't click for me. I didn't like the square tiles or the view. Granted, I didn't give it a fair shot and will probably try it again (now that I've finished another Rome: Total War campaign).

Well, I don't like what they did with the map in Rome: Total War either :)

I prefered it when you could invade province by province, not attacking endless stacks everywhere.

Oh and... Egypt For The Win !!!

Well thee is one thing which annoys me to no end. The key for chosing movement path and minimize screen are next to each other (at least on my german keyboard) I dont know how many times I have switched back to desktop when I wanted to chose a movement path.

Well, unlike many of you, I like it. SC2 is about great thinking, not great visual design. I prefer HC working on gameplay then other less important things.

Also, regarding the eternal hexes versus squares subject, hexes are better for representing real movement of a unit while squares increased mobility of units, which was a problem with SC1. The best of systems is no tiles at all!!! Maybe in SC3, there won't be any tiles just like what StarCraft introduced in the world of RTS games. Units could move anywhere within their range of movement but still could not overlap one another.

I still can not get through the tiles… I like that the game is way more precise and designed but the tiles makes it boring to play… And that’s quiet a draw back for a game… I feel like playing a kind of chess and I am not enjoying a WWII simulation game as I did playing SC1….

So like others I might try later in the winter or get it on ebay when prices will be low…

But I still don’t understand why Hubert went for this terrible tile option…. Sc is obviously designed for the wargamer specific market and it was even assumed that the community would be able, with the editor, to tune it up and to add scenarios to bring SC2 to perfection… But then choosing this tile option, that strongly repels most of the community, is a very strange strategy in the game positioning I think…

I went back and booted up SC1, just in case I was seeing things about SC2. I much prefer SC2 to SC1. The interface is much better, I like the amount of options available, and I do like squares vs hexes. WW II should not come down to bogging down, and the attacker in SC2 can take anything with enough effort.

One of the best boardgames I have ever played was called "The Longest Day", from Avalon Hill. The unit notations are not based on NATO symbols, but on German WWII symbols. The design team was lambasted by much of the wargaming community at the time. Once I got used to the terminology, I could tell you more about a battalion/company at a glance than I ever could using "The Standard".

Eh, the inventors of the wheel, and sliced bread have their detractors too.