Hunter / Killer subs?

Several times while playing against the AI (as either Axis or Allied) I have had submarines (running Silent) attacked by opposition subs. They were damaged, and sometimes inflicted damage on the attacker.

This is not realistic. A duel of deck guns, perhaps? I am not aware of any WWII submarine sunk at sea by another sub.

Is there a fix for this small bug?

Also check out the British "R" class from WW1 - the 1st subs to be faster underwater than on top.

However it was exceedingly rare - the number of subs sunk by other subs is very small - indeed you've only done it once? And in how many games?

UK Submarine losses - 82 total note only 2 definitely known to be sunk by other submarines - one of which was by friendly fire!

2 others possibly lost to gunfire of an Italian submarine.

there's a number of pages detailing u-boat losses - the most common figure I get is that 24 were lost to enemy Subs, of 663 lost in combat (of 805 total including a couple interred in Spain)

US sub losses - 1 definitely sunk by a Japanese submarine, and 2 possibly sunk by or with the help of Japanese submarines.

At home I have a list of Russian subs in service in WW2 that lists the causes of many of eth losses, but IIRC the vast majority of them are mines and surface craft actions in the Gulf of Finland - it was shallow and both shores were axis occupied - not a great place to have to pass through to get to the Blatic!!

Edit: Sub vs Sub - an interesting article on the topic.

[ June 22, 2006, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organist ]

I read that an IJN sub actually sank one of Stalins boats in the Pacific during WW2. They claimed an American boat and it wasn't until after the war was over that it was determined who the real victim was.