Any news on the Battle for the Atlantic?

Originally posted by pzgndr:

Full unit cost is charged when ordered.... There really isn't any mechanism in place to cancel units in the production queue and get a refund. You can always disband upon arrival and recoup some cost ..... This is all just a simplification which only adds an optional production delay .....Players can turn it off and have ...... instant builds.

Nice and simple. I like it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pzgndr:

Full unit cost is charged when ordered.... There really isn't any mechanism in place to cancel units in the production queue and get a refund. You can always disband upon arrival and recoup some cost ..... This is all just a simplification which only adds an optional production delay .....Players can turn it off and have ...... instant builds.

Nice and simple. I like it. </font>

I like 'Production Times' myself!.

Production times should reflect 'Historical' production times.

As well i would like to see a Re-tooling cost if one wanted to use the same factory to produce another item. An old old game like 'War In Russia' had that feature!.

It's also good that for those who want 'Instant-Builds'...that they can use that to keep the game as simple as possible!.

Hubert, DD, Pzg, et. al.: Lets get on with this thing or just forget it! Tag

LOLOL!

Brings to mind an old 60's song:

"Get it on!

Bang the Gong,

Get it on." :cool:

What you think, Tag-Man?

We been fiddling & twiddling?

Nix, nix - new guy on the impetuous quest.

See, we been... burning down the House!

The House of the Rising Sun,

Where them decrepit game ideas

Retire to die.

They are hank & rag and pick-up sticks.

A shock of thistle where hair usta be.

The Gong what's been bing banged?

Is... the sound of a solitary note a'float,

One persistent chord - ever in yer ear, IE,

Heark to it!

SC-2 Blitzkrieg! is

Coming... clear, getting... near. smile.gif

My Uncle fought in the Battle of the Atlantic, he's 80-something now & still going strong.
My severest fear, even

Greater than EP's concern

About some wayward stray Comet,

Is that jjr will survive

To 80-something as well :eek:

And he will search

Coast to coast,

Salt pillar to post and - finally,

Find me.

In the hollow of a Redwood Tree, calm,

Contemplating all things naval.

And he will saunter on up,

And make that almost inaudible sound

Of... one hand - clapping, and ask:

"Say old hank & rag guy,

when we gonna get - SC-9? "

LOLOLOL! ;)

As originally posted by vveedd:

Very good AAR so far. Thanks guys and keep going. I would like to hear something about Barbarossa (my favorite operation) smile.gif

Well, as Bill has already mentioned, the delayed arrival of units from the build queue WILL change Barbarossa somewhat.

Since Russia is an "inactive Major Power," IE, low production, with few units on the board (... although they MIGHT decide to send some of those to attack Finland, or Iran - but, then, they'd be vulnerable to an early GErman surprise assault, ah, all the variables!),

The essential thing is that they have ENOUGH of the PROPER sort of defenders... once them black boots commence the long, knife-like march.

OK. Everyone knows by now that there is a LOT more room to maneuver in Russia. LOTS more.

This makes it tough for them GErmans as well, since they probably have to garrison all those areas where partisans might arrive, not to mention the Atlantic Wall, and so, they too have a potentially disastrous "manpower" problem.

What to do?

Should Russia buy mostly corps so to defend, as per usual, the up-front cities and behind the rivers?

OR? Do they spend more on research (... particularly the Industrial improvements, and the infantry weapons and anti-tank to forestall the Panzers?)

OR? Do they opt for a decently rated HQ and an Armor unit or 2... so to inflict maximum damage once that dreaded first winter has arrived?

Point being, Russian Player - in a real sense, NOW has an "active role" and must make solid decisions WRT future defensive/offensive S&T.

And so, we are back to... EACH player will make unique choices, and thus & so, EACH game will be a little different, every single time. smile.gif

And this - for the GErmans also, depends on making decisions about the kinds of deployments that will get them where they want to go... whether that is North Afrika or angling up north to cut off lend lease shipments by taking Archangel... WELL in ADVANCE (... assuming you play default game and use that challenging build queue).

For example, GErmany NEEDS to have most of their Barbarossa build decisons made, oh, by late 1940 or early 1941.

All in all, the Russian Campaign is MUCH MORE volatile and requires better long range planning.

There will be ample opportunities for "blitz & surround," beat the non-retreaters into the ground - with the soon following infantry sloggers.

Like that, first, for the GErmans. Later, for the Russians.

Should be VERY interesting. :cool:

Originally posted by pzgndr:

No, the enemy's build queue is hidden. This might be something for the reports screen though, a breakdown of units on the map plus those in the queue? At least by land, air and naval types, without getting too specific.

Intriguing idea if you could link it to the Intel Tech.