• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lothaire (AXIS) vs Bylandt (ALLIES) : Allies win.

Axis take Poland in turn 2. Denmark in turn 3. German sub soon found and destroyed.

Italy joins even before Belgium is attacked (is this the rule rather than the exception in WaW?)

France surrenders in july 1940. The tank in the capital is a pain to eliminate. Germans continue with conquest of Vichy (perhaps the crucial event of the game, because Spain was rapidly slipping into the axis sphere of influence). Spain reacts with outrage. To be fair, Lothaire didn't know that would happen. Is this new in Waw?

Axis go on to conquer Norway en Sweden. They wisely choose not to attack Egypt. The entrenched and bracing British in Egypt feel very silly after a few months. When finally one of them cautiously pokes his nose outside to find nobody there, the Desert Rats advance into North Africa. They take the Italian possessions, and Tripoli and Vichy Africa in 1941. They start embarking for Albania, where Serb Partisans have seized the capital.

Russia declares war in the summer of 1941. The Germans advance to the gates of Moscou, when winter sets in. This gives the Russians enough time to reinforce and entrench. The 1942 spring offensive of the Germans takes Voronzeh after brutal and bloody fighting. Both sides loose several units each turn. Russian counterattacks from Moscou and Stalingrad break the back of the German forces, though with heavy Russian casualties.

A British paratrooper unit takes Paris in july 1942. Two earlier surprise landings had failed. But now the American are ready to debark en force.

The Axis decide that the war can no longer be won.

[ November 05, 2007, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Bylandt ]

I played two games over the weekend with Normal dude.

Needles to say he is far from normal!

First game he won as Axis, I got bored after making a few mistakes and started playing the mad bomber!

Well the next game we played i tried something different!

I waited for Russia to declare war on the Axis before entering Warsaw and its surrender (he had no complaint with this method)!

Left France alone, was hoping he would declare war on Benelux...never did so I went ahead and did it.

Anyhow In the course of the game I invaded the UK...I withheld taking the capital of the UK being that I did not want America to enter the war.

After about five turns...He (normal dude) started hooting and holler-in and stated if I did not take the capital on the Island that he would leave!

So I obliged him, not wanting any flak ( I just play for fun) I took the capital and he re-stationed to Alexandria... well about that same time I was giving up land in africa and he was advancing, I then made a amphib invasion on Alexandra...he did not like that...he up and left the game?

Was a great game! I could not believe I pulled it off!!!

So I will claim "VICTORY"

I will not play anybody who leavers a game in the way that he did.

Some people are sore losers!

Ready for my next combatant! ;)

It was a funny thing! He got kinda frazzled when france surrendered...My units that were stationed in vichy automatically moved to the french cities in france. Well, he had four britt units in france and they would of held on longer if my units were not teleported in the vacant cities. (due to vichy)

He might of not realized that I reduced the ports so he could not evacuate.

but it twas funny!

thing about it is why did you not piss and moan about me leaving Warsaw vacant? But you cry about me leaving manchester vacant?

Odd thing is i do not think it really mattered anyhow!

America did not enter when I took manchester and they were at 85%

Normal dude you need to take a pill!

Oh, sorry!

I declared war on Baltic states and The reason why I did not take Warsaw was because I did not want to lose ground once Russia occupied poland after its surrender.

Of course I was right up on the border (with my units), waiting for Russia to enter.

Once Russia entered I took Warsaw And two of the closest cities in Russia.

Then it became a war of attrition. Russia did not lose much but he could not make any ground either.

Little did he know...if he just would have Barged in not to consider any of his loses he would have probably had me!

most my units were getting ready for invasion of norway and Africa.

My MMP's were being spent and I never had enough to do anything else but build amphibian assault ships.

I have tried this against the computer AI...but never against a human.

I would not recommend doing it against a human player.

Although I should of waited for him to declare war against Benelux.

but as always...I get impatient.

I did notice that once Russia Enters the War Italy enters the War regardless of France or Anything else.

Russia Entered on the Fourth turn.

I allowed Russia to declare War on me...because I did not want any negative feedback on Diplomacy.

Do not know how it works? But he did Attack Iraq.

After that could he not operate Russian units to Africa?

Thought for sure he would!

Reminds me of the time when I had my French HQ in Warsaw! A game against Rambo (SC).

Of course our game mysteriously crashed and Everybody knew my auto save was not working.

So he was able to start (anew)from his turn.

OH the good old days!

Know body likes to be beat by Waltero!

Most people do not like my unorthodox style of play.

So they just up and quit!

I like all the original ideas. That's what makes this game great. There's always a new strategy to surprise the opponent. And then there's always someone who comes up with a feasable counterstrategy.

However, as the Cannuck says, there should propably be a house rule against not taking London (and then Manchester) when able to do so. (Or even better, the option to move the UK capital to Alexandria should be disabled. The idea of a fully functional weapons industry in Egypt is ridiculous).

I'm sorry I won't be playing against you, Waltero. I'm in the newbie league. smile.gif

Maybe so! But like I said...I do not think it really mattered? Maybe somebody else would know if it did or not?

He asked me to enter the city and I did!!! And even after that America did not enter and they were at 85%?

What more does a guy want? I did the same thing with Warsaw and no complaints!

So if their needs to be some justification we could say the Allies were having peace talks, or an armistice!

It was a fun game, in the course of the game he stated that I sealed my fate once I allowed Russia into an early War.

I think he even said that "if he loses this game it would be really sad" Hardy har dee har har!

Never underestimate the idiotic moves of Waltero!

Waltero, instead of derailing this thread, you can take the win. I didn't spend six hours of Sunday so that I could tolarate cheap game exploit moves. I had British units in production to place that I couldn't place. You waited until you had an Axis strike force in place to take Cairo before finally taking the capital and letting the game mechanics progress. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Winning or losing wasn't the point. I had the game anyways. If I wanted that play style I could play Counter-Strike. Move waltero to the next match, and don't bother responding, I won't respond here and derail the thread further.

I did not think it gamey! All's I know is everybody does it to me and I thought it was standard practice.

But now I must ask, do you think it was gamey that I did not take warsaw?

You requested that I take Manchester...so I obliged, then you still drop out like a little girl!

Do not worry about this thread...It should probably be moved to a new one anyhow.

Can somebody else enlighten us on weather this is gamey enough to be considered a foul?

If so would not Warsaw be considered gamey as well?

What I can not figure out is...I took manchester and one turn later amphib next to Alexandria.

Why did you not drop your "builds" in on the turn before I dropped (anphib) a lone Italian corp.?

Waltero won fair and square. If some moves and tactics are disallowed, they should be agreed upon beforehand. Frankly, the originality of the whole thing should be applauded. And he did take Manchester on request, while being in no obligation to do so.

I would think you would wait for someone else in your bracket to win, and play them in round 2. Not sure how Timskorn is doing it.

Timskorn, are you going to update the brackets on page one, as to who has won, and moved onto round 2? Just curious how your doing this. I know the last tournament we had a nice number (16) which made the brackets easy to do. This one has an odd number, and two groups. Figure the round one winner should just play the next available round 1 winner.

Yes, this isn't necessarily the most structured of tournaments. smile.gif For simplicity and time sake, yes, as players win they will move on to another opponent.

So Bylandt and Waltero, you two face off in the second round and can start at any time! Since you guys played opposite sides in your respective game, I would recommend switching sides for this round. This is a fun tournament though, so play whichever side either of you prefer.

Again, think of this tournament as a chance to do things you may not normally try. If you usually don't like playing Axis, give it a shot!

I am having fun with this WAW tourney I am playing Sandy who is kicking my butt but it is the first time I have played where this game played as I felt it should in human vs human.

It is late 41 and my Axis was unable to attack Russia due to really bad weather but that is okay. I lost Norway do to fine play by Sandy. I am still hoping to recover that problem but with time marching I am doubtful.

Africa is strange I feel more powerful then him but when I look at combat odds displayed my poor Italians would disappear if I attacked so I am just being patient hoping he makes an error.

Seems to me though the game is more interesting with WAW. I still doubt I would like to play those who run around capturing the world and ignoring history but we got some new blood with WAW so we have a more balance availability of players it seems.

Originally posted by Canuck_TAR:

Interesting style I must say. Though the London gambit (ie not taking it) is a bit iffy.........doesn't make for a fun allied game I suppose.

;) Still it seems the best way to take out the brits...no money to defend Egypt .....

tongue.gif Better I shut up regarding the whole England invasion thing... (as I said before the teleporting Capital + going up in resources iopens the door to quite a lot of exploits)

I think Normal dude was over confident. He was under the impression that France (combined with the UK) could do something against Germany...being that Germany was fighting two fronts!

I have learned long ago that france does not have a chance of surviving under any circumstance!

Once you start to believe france is a contender... you have lost.

Of course in thinking France has a chance, it usually involves the UK and that is the greatest blunder!

Because you are likely to commit all the british forces to france.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this thing still in operation?

If so I will claim another victory.

Bylandt, had to concede being that he did not have enough time and he was sure to lose:)

I was the Allies this time.

Axis did not make any effort to control Africa.

Allies had most of Africa before the Axis could decide weather or not to send troops into that region.

So the Axis decided to take control of Sweden, they were disappointed when they found out that they did not get any precious recourses from Sweden.

Russia had mass tech (before war was declaired) and Germany had very little. SO Germany decided it better to surrender.

I am sure that if Bylandt thought he had a chance he would of continued.

For some reason we had a real slow connection? Made for a crapy game the first few rounds being that it was always disconnecting.

Well who is next?