I was thinking, with WaW releasing soon it'd be fun to start a tournament as early as possible. As in, not allowing everyone to play a bunch of games first to get a "feel" for it, but to just jump right in and see who can adapt the best.

Also with WaW's release we'll probably get a new bunch of players in the forum, so it may be wise to set up two brackets. One for new players, or those who consider themselves "new" to playing H2H, and another for the veterans.

Those interested just say so, and what bracket you'd like to be in, then we can randomly pair people up. When the game's released, you better be buyin' it on Day 1, then we get started ASAP. Terif can just be like the "end boss" and wait to play the winner of the veteran bracket. ;)

Round 1

-------

Veteran Group

-------------

Lars vs. Canuck_TAR (Canuck_TAR)

The K Man vs. Konigs (THE K MAN)

Tim vs. Zinfandel (TIM)

New Players Group

-------------

Kuniworth vs. Moonslayer

targul vs. Sandy

Rannug vs. Baron (RANNUG)

lparkh vs. The Real Deal (THE REAL DEAL)

Waltero vs. Normal Dude (WALTERO)

Bylandt vs. Lothaire (BYLANDT)

Mock vs. Ibukovec (IBUKOVEC)

Round 2 - New Players

-------

Waltero vs. Bylandt (WALTERO)

Rannug vs. The Real Deal (The Real Deal)

Round 2 - Veterans

-------

Timskorn vs. The K Man (The K Man)

Round 3 - Veterans

-------

The K Man vs. Canuck_Tar

Round 3 - New players

-------

Waltero vs. The Real Deal (THE REAL DEAL)

Round 4 - New Players

-------

The Real Deal vs. Ibukovec

Wild Cards

-------------

DAK_21PzDivision

Arado234

Tmanusa

Colin I

AZGungho

[ March 08, 2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Timskorn ]

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great to me. Put me down for the "veteran" group. (PBEM.) Would it be a good idea within each of the 2 brackets, to arrange the players by time zone. (Just thinking of that to speed up the tournament.) This way, you may get more turns by day, since most players play by email.

Ideally the tourny should start the day of release, and those who are in it will begin their turns as soon as they can. I know some here already beta tested it, but that's fine. Whateva'. Here to have fun. smile.gif

I'll update the first post with everyone who has signed up, and the brackets. Arado and n0kn0k, what brackets? I'm not familiar with everyone's skill level off hand.

We probably have a good month to get all the details settled, so once we get enough players we'll try and fine tune everything like time zones, PBEM vs. TCP/IP, etc.

I've never played anything but the AI, and it beats me at times - like the draw I just got playing Blashy's mod!!

I'm considering this but have a question: How do you pick what side to play? And are we talking e-mail games or real time, or does that even matter?

Sorry to be such a noob!!

You should really do it AZ, it's just fun playing against another human. I love a good AI game, but to truly test your skill (and for more satisfaction when victorious), H2H is the way to go. I've learned a lot from reading all the AAR's here, they really are great learning tools.

As for figuring out who plays which side, I have a few ideas in mind. People can drop some ideas here in the meantime, but we won't need to decide anytime soon.

Games can be played PBEM and/or TCP/IP. Whichever you and your opponent agree on.

To up the ante on this and possibly get more people involved, what's everyone's take on some kind of prize for each bracket? What is Battlefront's take on doing something like this, is it against the CoC?

In my RTS dev days, fansites ran contests that were typically supported by the development company. Scenario design, tournaments, etc. Winners would win a copy of the game, or a company T-shirt or whatever.

Not sure if HC and/or Battlefront would be interested but it there's not much to lose in doing it. If they can't or won't, we could always try pitching in for a prize but that'd be tough to coordinate.

I'm back thanks to Martin, who I'd like to thank for getting my problems all fixed up in my profile! Lesson: Make SURE you type in the right e-mail address when/if you change it!!! javascript:void(0)

Big Grin

Anyway, I'll be happy to join the party here when it starts, as I'm sure someone out there will need an easy victim! It ought to be fun!!