CMBB Modelling contest - Official Thread

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hi Guys!

First to answer Maces question, here is a rough list of some of the vehicles we are lacking textures for. A portion of these most likely wont make it in unless we do get some textures unfortunately.

Russian

T-44

T-26 *

BT-5

BT-7 *

BT-8

BA-6

BA-6M

T-60

T-70

SU-12

SU-57

ZIS-30

GAZ-4M

ZIS-42

GAZ 64

GAZ 67

German

H-39 Hotchkiss

PzKw R35

PzKw 35S

Flakpanzer 38(t)

Aufklärer 38(t)

Hungarian

Turan I *

Turan I (w/armor skirt)

Turan II *

Turan II (w/armor skirt)

Zrinyi *

Zrinyi (w/armor skirt)

Toldi I

Toldi II

Toldi III

Nimrod

Csaba armored car

CV35 tankette

Romanian

R-1 Tankette *

Renault R-35

Vanatorul de care R-35

TACAM R-2

TACAM T-60*

Malaxa Carrier

* (this one will go in anyway, but if we can find a texture it will speed up the process aloowing up time for other models)

John, thanks for the support! We are getting some great entries and that has been becuase of the help of you guys smile.gif

Dan<hr></blockquote>

Folks, this sounds like a challenge! Come on, let's get to work! Spend some money, buy models, build them, and lets see these rarer vehicles in the game!!! Think of the greater good

Let's do this methodically, I propose we form a "Tackle-the-missing-model" team. What do you all say?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Folks, this sounds like a challenge! Come on, let's get to work! Spend some money, buy models, build them, and lets see these rarer vehicles in the game!!! Think of the greater good

Let's do this methodically, I propose we form a "Tackle-the-missing-model" team. What do you all say?<hr></blockquote>

PL-

I already have a shelf full of 1/35 armor waiting for me to set up my spray booth and other tools. No way I can rise to this challenge, unfortunately. Unless they'll take pics of my 15mm gaming pieces. smile.gif

-dale

Hiya Guys!

Thanks for the support, it all helps! smile.gif Just so you guys know, that list has some of the rarer vehicles which we are missing textures for, we still want to keep the entries rolling in for all vehicles as we have multiple varients of all types and Id really like to get a different texture for each.

Dalem, just so you know even unpainted models could be a good help to us. smile.gif 15mm pieces would be a little small though, hehe.

Thanks guys!

Dan

Maastrictian, that has been ruled out as we feel it would look unprofessional. We know that you guys would love this (so would I! smile.gif ), but new fans and those that arent as as dedicated as you guys would fill our forum with threads asking why we rushed CMBB out and didnt finish it properly. Even worse would be game reviewers saying such things.

Dan

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]</p>

Looks to me like the list is coming along nicely. With 5 weeks to go, there must be a fair chance that most of the remaining models will make it in.

Is this list being posted elsewhere? It may help some to post the list on the modelling pages, as well as here.

In any event, keep 'em coming!

Hi Guys!

First to answer Maces question, here is a rough list of some of the vehicles we are lacking textures for. A portion of these most likely wont make it in unless we do get some textures unfortunately.

John, thanks for the support! We are getting some great entries and that has been becuase of the help of you guys smile.gif

Dan<hr></blockquote>

This may be out of line, but would it be possible for you guys to put all these vehicles in, I mean the ones you don't want to include if you don't get submissions, without textures, so that modders can go to town on them? Maybe simply include them in the game engine, but don't have any scenarios with them?

Or maybe have them in a downloadable add-on or update? Seems like a shame to leave so much stuff out just because they're unpopular.. ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

This may be out of line, but would it be possible for you guys to put all these vehicles in, I mean the ones you don't want to include if you don't get submissions, without textures, so that modders can go to town on them? Maybe simply include them in the game engine, but don't have any scenarios with them?

Or maybe have them in a downloadable add-on or update? Seems like a shame to leave so much stuff out just because they're unpopular.. ;) <hr></blockquote>

Uh, dude...look up at what Kwazy Dog says a bit later in this thread

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

Maastrictian, that has been ruled out as we feel it would look unprofessional. We know that you guys would love this (so would I! ), but new fans and those that arent as as dedicated as you guys would fill our forum with threads asking why we rushed CMBB out and didnt finish it properly. Even worse would be game reviewers saying such things.<hr></blockquote>

Hi guys,

Some very quick answers..... smile.gif

Firstly, its imaportant that you guys note that the textures I mentioned above are the rarer vehicles. We are still welcoming more textures for all vehicles, and there are still some of the more common ones we dont have textures for like the Hummel, etc.

Panzerwerfer42, please feel free to send it in, we'd love to see it. That particular model didnt see action on the Eastern Front but it may be a suitable texture for the later model!

Diceman, sounds great! Ill get to your email later today fingers crossed smile.gif

Shep, fingers crossed we will do pretty well but these are going to be hard to find I think, as they are rare models to start with.

Fytinghellfish, psst, look up at my last reply smile.gif Basically there are many reasons why that wouldnt be a good idea, but number one on that list would be that it will give CMBB an unprofession look to those whom arent yet dedicated fans. It would be great if we could add vehicle in after release, but we do have other projects we need to move onto, so unfortuantely that probably wont happen.

Dan

I just ordered the T-26, BT-7, and BT-5. The site I found them at also has many other of the Russian things on Kwazy's last list. You might want to check it out:

http://www.aviapress.com/viewallkits.htm

Here you can find a LOT of obscure things, like the Russian armored cars, light tanks, and halftracks on Kwazy's list.

Also, if you're into German WW1 battleships or Russo-Japanese War Russian ships, they got them also :D

Hi Guys!

Russian

T-44

T-26 *

BT-5

BT-7 *

BT-8

BA-6

BA-6M

T-60

T-70

SU-12

SU-57

ZIS-30

GAZ-4M

ZIS-42

GAZ 64

GAZ 67

German

H-39 Hotchkiss

PzKw R35

PzKw 35S

Flakpanzer 38(t)

Aufklärer 38(t)

Hungarian

Turan I *

Turan I (w/armor skirt)

Turan II *

Turan II (w/armor skirt)

Zrinyi *

Zrinyi (w/armor skirt)

Toldi I

Toldi II

Toldi III

Nimrod

Csaba armored car

CV35 tankette

Romanian

R-1 Tankette *

Renault R-35

Vanatorul de care R-35

TACAM R-2

TACAM T-60*

Malaxa Carrier

* (this one will go in anyway, but if we can find a texture it will speed up the process aloowing up time for other models)

Dan<hr></blockquote>

KwazyDog, a question-

Unfortunately, my time is tight these days and I don't think that I could finish a model and make it look respectable by the end of February. However, I see several items on this list that are items I would like to see in CMBB and I know are available as kits (examples: T-70 and T-26).

So, what is the absolute Drop Dead Date that you guys have for models to be included or not? Does it go beyond the end of February?

And another question (I just thought of)-

Based upon your thread of adding color to a kit (I think you used a PzKW III) as an example, would a simple blank model work for you? Would it be advantageous to have the 3D model alone and simply add the color yourselves?

Thanks for the response, now get back to work.... ;)

Regarding the modeling contest...

The addition of more vehicles was the subject of much debate after the release of CMBO, some of which was quite rancorous... (autobiographical reference here). BTS chose not to add the vehicles despite the vociferous pleas of several fans of the game, citing the realities of business and the need to get on with CMBB. Personal desires aside, it's difficult to argue with the bottom line.

However...

This modeling contest was a fine idea, and gives a great opportunity to avoid what happened when many of us found some earnestly desired vehicles missing from CMBO.

I'm so glad that the BTS folks did this, and even though it wasn't possible for CMBO it's clear that they're moving toward greater customer satisfaction with the next game.

Just a note of appreciation.

Come on, lads! Rally round the flag and get something on Dan's list. This is your chance to get more vehicles in the game smile.gif

This site has several versions of the BA-6, the BT-7, the ZIS-42, and GAZ-67, plus the BT-5, T-60, and T-70:

http://www.aviapress.com/viewallkits.htm

The following site has several versions of the Pz 35(t) which could be modified to look like Turans and such (I think):

http://www.internethobbies.com/internethobbies/mpmmodels.html

The following site has the BT-5 and T-26:

http://www.internethobbies.com/internethobbies/it135scalrus.html

The following site has a T-26:

http://www.internethobbies.com/internethobbies/rpm135scalru.html

I'm having a terrible time finding Hungarian, Romanian, and French stuff, but this should at least round out the Russian side.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zitadelle:

[QB]

And another question (I just thought of)-

Based upon your thread of adding color to a kit (I think you used a PzKW III) as an example, would a simple blank model work for you? Would it be advantageous to have the 3D model alone and simply add the color yourselves?<hr></blockquote>

I am not Kwazy, but I am pretty sure that the answer to that question is yes - even an unpainted model would be helpful.

Hi guys!

Some more quick replies...

Zitadelle, yes, a bare bones model will still help us out, as it will give us all of the details necessary to help in the building of a texture. What is perfect (other than a complete model of course) is a model that has had the base coat applied and items like the wheels painted black, details coloured, etc, but if time doesnt permit a bare model will be very useful too. as for the latest date of entry...well thats a hard call. At this point the contest will end on the given date, but I could probably take texture 4 weeks or so after and still have them of use to me, as long as I knew they were coming smile.gif

Shep, thanks! Whilst I can promise anything I can tell you that we are trying out best to get as much in there as possible. There should be a lot of vehicles for you guys to play with if all goes to plan!

Bullethead, thanks for the continued support, Ill pop into the beta forum and answer your questions there shortly!

Ryan, thanks for answering my question, hehe.

Let try and keep this thread on the first page guys!

Dan

PS : I think there is a new screen shot on the contest page for those interested. ;)

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bullethead:

I just ordered the T-26, BT-7, and BT-5. The site I found them at also has many other of the Russian things on Kwazy's last list. You might want to check it out:

<hr></blockquote>

We kmust have been shopping at the same time! Last night I got the Italeri BT-5, the Italeri T-26, the Zvezda BT-7 and th Heller Souma S-35!

SOme of these rarer ones might be easier to find in 1:76, but only dealing in 1:35, I am not sure how well they look.

BTW, what is the Aufklarer?

Dan.....regarding the employment of the Porsche turreted Kingtiger...there were 2 employed by sPzAbt 503 in late 44/ early 45 in Hungary ..and there is mb also a case for at least 6 employed by the sPzAbt 501 on the E.front.

I was looking at Tigers in Combat 1 & 2 , at the issue of KTs to the respective units.

If we take it as read that the first 50 KTs produced had infact the Porsche turret...then on the 25/06/1944 the 6 issued to the sPz abt 501 were infact Porsche turreted KTs which then seen action in Poland in a area between Warsaw /Lodz / Krakov and Prague.

Regards

Måkjager

OK guys, Gordon found a link for Romanian and Hungarian stuff. They're 1/76 scale resin and only have like 3 parts (hull, turret, barrel) but they look quite detailed. BTS has said 1/76 scale will work so maybe somebody can pony up for some of this stuff.

Kit list here:

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/cromwell_model_productions.htm

This has the Hungarian Turan I, Turan II, and Toldi I, plus Romanian R-1 tankette and French R-35.

-----------

Sample pictures of this type of kit and finished model here:

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/cromwellpics.htm

-------------

BTS has also that you post up if you order something. This will keep us from duplicating too much effort and also will help BTS plan their work.

FYI,

I just ordered a BA-6 kit. Hopefully it will arrive in time and I can spray a quick coat of Rustoleum "Moss Green" on it. No, wait, that would be more appropriate for a Finnish model. Maybe "Pine Green" would be better. :rolleyes:

Haven't built a model in 25 years. smile.gif

Gordon

OK, folks here is an update of my modelling madness:

Nearly completed models:

Hummel (Late)

Sdkfz 222

Next onto the table:

Panzer "Souma" 35-S

BT-7 (I'll take this one, Bullethead smile.gif )

Models I ordered but will put off since Bullethead is taking them:

T-26

BT-5

If I have time (and I think I will, because I am working like a madman!):

Sdkfz 138 "Grille"

Sdkfz 10/5 - Damag D7 with FLAK 38

Here are a few but I just don't know if they're worth the effort:

Spw 250/9

PzIIL

Spw 251/1

Panther A (Old Tamiya kit, inaccurate)

SWS Panzerwerfer 42 (Is this in? Prolly not...)

Spw 253 (man I wish it were in, but that is a WHOLE different story)

Some motorcycles

Kubelwagen mit MG-34

Opel Blitz

Puma

Kwazy, if you see anything on there that piques your interest let me know. I was planning on doing a winter white-wash on the 222 and Hummel, since I have a feeling you are getting less winter vehicles than summer.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]</p>