CMBB Modelling contest - Official Thread

Though I'm not KwazyDog...

Yes, there are three sets of bitmaps being considered. The early 'panzer grey' scheme, the '43-45 'dunkles Gelb' dark yellow factory scheme and the 'ambush' camoflauge scheme. Not every vehicle will have all three schemes (some may) and the Ambush scheme isn't a certainty at this point since it wasn't universally applied to all AFVs.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curse you BTS!! ;)

I was a bit late getting on the bandwagon (hey, I don't read EVERY topic)but I thought since my modelling skills are fair, I would give this thing a shot.

First mistake: I walked into the hobby shop

Second mistake: I looked at the airbrush compressors

Third mistake: I took my credit card

<sigh>

Ah well, $400.00 later and I have no more excuses for getting back into scale modelling. The thing is, now I need to go to Walmart and find a cheap lamp so I have enough light to work on the thing after work.............and some decal fixing agent...............and probably some more paint......thank goodness tomorrow is payday.

B

I do not know about the image processing procedure at BTS, but wouldn't it be possible to submit pictures of unpainted models, which show the proper lighting and shadows, and are then painted electronically with the respective camo scheme.

This would, for example, prevent the hiding of fine surface structures by thick layers of paint (see Panther road wheels). Also, various camo jobs could be applied to the same basic texture.

I do not know if this is possible, but it would probably give the BTS artist more freedom in the creation of camo schemes.

This grey painted model goes in that direction:

Image001TN.jpg

Excellent lighting, by the way!

Regards,

Thomm

That is kind of why I submitted unmarked models; I sent in a dark yellow 251/9 ausf D as well without markings. Turret numbers etc. won't make it into the final skins anyway, since they are not reversible.

My Pz III looks horrid when blown up but that thumbnail is not bad. One day I will need to invest in some decent lighting, since I take photos of uniform bits and stuff for one of my websites all the time.

I am trying to find kits of the rare stuff like Italian AFVs etc. thinking they will be of more use to BTS, but everything that is submitted is good according to them. Just noticed, again, on the expanded view, that the drive sprocket on my Panther did not engage with the tracks, which are sitting up on top of the teeth all goofy like. sigh

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I am trying to find kits of the rare stuff like Italian AFVs etc. <hr></blockquote>

Italeri have Italian AFVs listed in their catalog (probably because Italeri is based in Italy - a bit of national pride). I think the kits are still readily available if you do a hunt.

Mace

PS Panzer Leader, nice work mate! - have you ever considered given the AFVs a wash with a burnt sienna oil paint/black enamel mix thinned down with white spirit?

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Mace ]</p>

Mace, why yes I have! In fact I did on the Schwimm, PzIV and 250. The others are incomplete models I included in hopes that might be of some use to the boys.

My problem is that I am still struggling with what is known as "dry-brushing".

I kept weathering to a minimum on the 250 and Schwimm. And on the PzIV, I may have gone a little overboard with that Russian dust!

The other three are unfinished.

I have seen Italeri kits in the past, and Tamiya did Italian stuff as well, thanks for the tip. I was hoping some rare East European stuff would make its way here, and though East European model kits from Poland and Russia are finding their way to our shelves, it is still mainstream stuff like JS IIs, Panzer IVs, etc. No Hungarian, etc. like I was hoping. I'll keep looking, though.

Found a nice kit of 1/35 scale East German infantry, with the rain pattern uniforms...for CM12:Beyond The Iron Curtain, that would be a handy reference.

Hi Guys!

Its been a busy week but I just wanted to let you know we have been getting some great entries through. Hehe, at the moment I am finding that I dont have the time to keep up more than anything, hehe.

Thomm, yes, ive actually been encouraging modellers whom are making models specifically for the competition to send in base coat models as well as their weathered and camoed vehicles as this should help us a lot when creating varients of these vehicles smile.gif

Michael, yes the rarer stuff will be a good help, as Id reallyl like to see some of the rarer vehicles in CMBB. Thanks for all of the help!

Panzer Leader, thanks for the great entries...that digital camera really worked well!

fytinghellfish, fingers crossed that the author of that site will send us in a few models, he has some particually rare vehicles there. Thanks for taking the time to contact him.

Thanks again guys.

Dan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

fytinghellfish, fingers crossed that the author of that site will send us in a few models, he has some particually rare vehicles there. Thanks for taking the time to contact him.

Dan<hr></blockquote>

I also contacted th web master of another 1/72 - 1/76 scale model website asking him, politely, of course, to let his subscribers/contributors know about the contest. I haven't heard back from him yet, though. Some great models there.

On The Way!

I also emailed a Swede with some really cool models, including Finnish StuGs and the prototype Tiger.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: fytinghellfish ]</p>

KwazyDog,

I know I am too curious, but could you please describe the process of creating a colored texture from the picture of an uncoated model?!

I assume the first step is to convert the pic to a greyscale image, which will then serve as a brightness channel for a flat camouflage texture. But is it really that simple? What other postprocessing steps are necessary?

Is this procedure `state-of-the-art' of graphic artists or are there tricks of the trade that are not common knowledge?

Just curious ...

Regards,

Thomm

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I kept weathering to a minimum on the 250 and Schwimm. And on the PzIV, I may have gone a little overboard with that Russian dust!<hr></blockquote>

Gee, I thought the PzIV was the best one of the bunch. It's hard to be too heavy handed with the mud and grime on combat vehicles. Just be sure to thin the paint a bit, so it doesn't cover up the details. Nice work, keep posting.

Hi Guys!

First to answer Maces question, here is a rough list of some of the vehicles we are lacking textures for. A portion of these most likely wont make it in unless we do get some textures unfortunately.

Russian

T-44

T-26 *

BT-5

BT-7 *

BT-8

BA-6

BA-6M

T-60

T-70

SU-12

SU-57

ZIS-30

GAZ-4M

ZIS-42

GAZ 64

GAZ 67

German

H-39 Hotchkiss

PzKw R35

PzKw 35S

Flakpanzer 38(t)

Aufklärer 38(t)

Hungarian

Turan I *

Turan I (w/armor skirt)

Turan II *

Turan II (w/armor skirt)

Zrinyi *

Zrinyi (w/armor skirt)

Toldi I

Toldi II

Toldi III

Nimrod

Csaba armored car

CV35 tankette

Romanian

R-1 Tankette *

Renault R-35

Vanatorul de care R-35

TACAM R-2

TACAM T-60*

Malaxa Carrier

* (this one will go in anyway, but if we can find a texture it will speed up the process aloowing up time for other models)

John, thanks for the support! We are getting some great entries and that has been becuase of the help of you guys smile.gif

Dan