CMBB Modelling contest - Official Thread

Hi all!

I thought Id start an official thread about the modelling contest we are holding. To start with, here is a press release we have sent out.

"Missing Links, the Internet's premier modelling website and Battlefront.com, home of superior war and strategy games, announce a unique contest for all WWII vehicle modellers. Send in pictures of your own best WWII vehicle models, and you might find them featured in Battlefront.com's new 3D World War Two computer wargame simulation: Combat Mission - Barbarossa to Berlin! The main prize is a $300 Smart Jet air compressor from Iwata! And YOUR name in the game credits!

„Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin covers ground combat on the Eastern Front from 1941-1945”, says Steven Grammont, Vice President of Battlefront.com. “That means a lot of vehicles which all will be modelled in high-resolution 3D, from the famous Russian T-34s to the largely unknown Finnish, Italian, Hungarian and Romanian vehicles. So why not give all those skilled modellers out there the chance to see their own favorite tank in real combat action - and their name in the credits!”

Modellers can send in pictures of their best works to modelcontest@battlefront.com. These will then be converted by Battlefront.com’s graphics artist into in-game models and textures, complete will all the details. Ever wanted to see that fantastic KV-1 model you made in real 3D combat? This is your chance!

Runner-up prizes include hand-drawn tank posters by artist John Smith VIII, as well as 10 free copies of Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. For more details, visit www.missing-lynx.com or go directly to www.battlefront.com/Model_Contest/Model_contest.html "

So, what is this all about?

Basically we are attempting to to gather photos of models that we aide us with our vehicle texturing process.

In real terms this means that the more entries we recieve, the more time we will have to complete vehicles for CMBB. smile.gif If you have a look at the contest page noted above you will see out vehicle 'wish list'. I can tell you now that for each vehicle on that list we recieve a texture for, chances are that you will probably see that vehcile in game!

So guys, if you are a modeller, dont forget to enter! If you arent a modeller yourself help us spread the word about the competition!

Thanks Guys smile.gif

Dan

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]</p>

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many inputs so far? As a side note, I looked around for some of the less well know tanks on the list, to see if kits were available. I couldn't find a kit for any of these: Turan series, Zrinyi series, Toldi series, Nimrod, Csaba armored car, R-1 Tankette, Vanatorul de care R-35, TACAM series, Malaxa Carrier, Bt-42, or L6/40. Most of the other stuff could be assembled out of the box, or with a conversion kit. Hope you can get some of the Hungarian, Romanian, and Italian stuff into the game anyway.

Cheers

Eric

Hi Diceman,

Well, so far we have had a steady trickle of entries. We have only just started the competition though, so things should pick up. Michael has already entered about 5 vehicles, hehe, so thanks to him for that!

Indeed, some of the vehicles from the minor nations will be hard to find, and I think I will have to make these from scratch. The good news is that we will include vehicles from these nations, but of course that in turn means that I'll have less time to spend on some of the more rare vehicles from the Russian and German corners. Hopefully we will get enough entries so this wont be a big problems though smile.gif

Dan

I would suggest one way to let AFV modellers know about the competition is for CMers to contact any local model club and let them know about the competition.

Also, most model/hobby shops have a notice board handy and if approached will probably be quite happy to display information about the competition. (I've talked the hobby shop I deal with to do an email out to their customers - I've spent so much money in that shop they owe me big time anyway, and it may generate more sales for them anyhow ;) )

Mace

I imagine that KwazyDog is a little busy these days, so I will do the honors and bump this message to the top of the forum. At the same time, I will use this forum time to mention a thread started the other day:

AMPS Convention

In April, you should be able to find a few models and interested modelers hanging out near Aberdeen, Maryland....

Mace, that would be an excellent help. The more guys that hear about the competition the better. We are starting to get some submission through, but the more the better! smile.gif

Zitadelle, thanks for the info. Hehe, we actually go to this every couple of years to get some shots. Charles went last year actually smile.gif

Dan

Uglykid, hehe, note that we are after platic model photos, not 3D ones...I can handle those with no problems at all smile.gif

Oh, and all vehicles on that list are unique vehicles...a finnish stug looks pretty much like a German one except for colouring and makings, hehe.

Dan

Whoopsss...Oh okay, I was so excited that didnt realize that it was plastic models...damn smile.gif Thanks KwazyDog to bring it out (again!) I already was modeling in half-away of model list smile.gif

Yes, they are look like same, except the later ones in summer 44 when Finns did add logs to sides of StuG.

Well let the Glue and Plastics then do the talking :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Oh, and all vehicles on that list are unique vehicles...a finnish stug looks pretty much like a German one except for colouring and makings, hehe.

Dan<hr></blockquote>

...which makes them sooo beautiful... just look at these babies:

Bubi

Liisa

Marjatta

Hopefully someone will mod them if they're not

included already on the CD

:cool:

KwazyDog,

I just passed the word to my model club in Atlanta, Georgia, of which I am a Member at Large out here in California. It operates through The War Room, the largest and best equipped model shop in the Southeast. You might want to pass the word to Brookhurst Hobbies in California, too. The shop has some impressive pieces in the display case. My club's got some national caliber talent, but I'm not it.

Regards,

John Kettler

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by patolino:

...which makes them sooo beautiful... just look at these babies:

Bubi

Liisa

Marjatta

Hopefully someone will mod them if they're not

included already on the CD

:cool: <hr></blockquote>

Hey! I call dibs on modding "Bubi"! smile.gif

How can you NOT want to mod a tank named "Bubi". :D

I'd seen a drawing of it in a book, but those are excellent photos.

Gordon

Oh, ick, bear in mind guys I only submitted some crappy ones from my junk box - I did those 15 or so years ago and am including them solely for a reference - not to win any beauty contests! I am working on a Pz 38(t) and SdKfz 251 that will be of higher quality.

Some great entries from other guys though, will be interesting to see how things develop.

Edit - GREAT looking Zimmerit on that Panther, Diceman, but you gotta lose the decals methinks; break out the 00 camelhair and paint those markings by hand!

Hey, do you like the way I got the rusty colour from the tracks all over the rubber parts of the wheels on my Pz III? Ah well, at least I won't scare people away with awe-striking talent.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splinty:

You can get stencils for both the Balkenkreuz and the unit numbers from Verlinden Products.<hr></blockquote>

That's the way I should have gone. Live and learn. They wouldn't hug the zimmerite surface in spite of applying them with micro set. I thought dullcoat would minimize the problem, and it does somewhat under average light conditions, but under bright light and the eye of the camera, well you get the picture.

:(

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Diceman ]</p>

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Actually, there is one clear difference. The remote control MG was removed and a "regular" shield was put in (along with the DT MG, the MG-34/MG-42 was not used by the Finns).

Those who visit the Bovington museum can take a look at what the conversion looks IRL (except the ex-Finnish vehicle is passed for a German one with a new paint job and a MG-34 in place of the DT smile.gif ).

BTW: the logs were used by the Finns, the Soviets and the Germans all alike.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Thanks for the info tero!

Dan<hr></blockquote>

You are wellcome.

While you are at it (not necessarily pertaining outward appearance only):

- the T-26E. Vickers 6ton brought up to T-26 standards by arming it with a 45mm gun taken off dug in BT's or wrecked T-26's. Main characteristics the same, some (all ?) had a hull SMG (9mm Suomi) installed.

- OT-130/133 flamethrower tanks converted to gun tanks. These had a 7,62mm DT hull MG installed.

- the Swedish Landsverk Anti II AA-tank, 40mm Bofors gun

- T-20 Komsomolets tractor transport class so it can haul the PAK-40 AT-gun (it was underpowered and had great difficulties in hauling the piece over anything but roads)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Diceman:

That's the way I should have gone. Live and learn. They wouldn't hug the zimmerite surface in spite of applying them with micro set. I thought dullcoat would minimize the problem, and it does somewhat under average light conditions, but under bright light and the eye of the camera, well you get the picture.

:(

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Diceman ]<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Diceman:

Handpainting over zimmerit is one solution, in which case you are best off modelling a specific vehicle from a photograph. You can also blank out spaces for markings before applying the stuff. I have seen this effect in photos. Use masking tape cut to size -- apply the tape, spread on the zim, remove tape, paint, apply decals to flat areas; irregular pieces of tape can also be used like this to simulate missing (knocked off/shaken off) pieces of zimmerit.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Diceman ]<hr></blockquote>