Type 2 Error on Execution of Demo

I cannot seem to be able to run the Demo on my PowerMac 9500/120 (upgraded with a G3/366MHz). It clears the screen like it is about to start and then my desktop reappears and there is an error dialog saying a Type 2 Error has occurred. I usually have associated this with not enough memory, but my machine has 144MB and I allocated 50MB to the demo, and I am not running anything else. I suppose I can try doubling the memory allocated to it.

Thanks for your help.

Ian

I can't remember much from my Mac support days.... so, uh.. these will be pretty generic attempts at a solution.

What OS are you running ? If you're running something earlier than 9.0x you will probably need to install Game/Soundsprockets if you haven't already (though I wouldn't imagine that would be causing the "type 2" error). What display adapter do you have; are you just running off of the built-in video ?

You may want to reduce the number of extensions and control panels you are loading up to see if this helps any. I would initially disable down to the bare minimum necessary for your hardware, etc. (scsi, video & sound, etc.).

You MAY have a corrupt installation. You might need to delete CM and reinstall. As a last resort it may be necessary to re-download the file.

I am running Mac-OS 8.6.1 and have installed GameSprockets 1.7.4 which contains SoundSprockets 1.7.1. I am using VillageTronics MacPicasso 540 with the 3D Overdrive (a 3D Graphics accelerator). I have redownloaded at least twice. I will try running with fewer extensions, to see if that helps.

Thanks

Ian

What drivers do you have for the 3D card? Try running without those first.

I have noticed the same problem if 3DfxGlideLib2.x is present in the extensions folder.

[This message has been edited by G4A (edited 06-16-2000).]

Sounds like G4A has a point. Skimming Villagetronic's website seems to indicate that the MP 540 + 3D Overdrive supports Glide-based games (it's probably a 3dfx chip). You probably have the Glide libraries in your extensions folder (they come with the 3D Overdrive).

CM is a RAVE based game. It seems as if Villagetronic is in the process of combinig their drivers, but I don't know if they've finished or not. You will probably want the "Village RAVE" in your extensions folder (or possibly the "VT 3D RAVE Accelerator"). Villagetronic seems to have a beta GLIDE driver up, but I don't know how well it works. You will only need it if you want to run GLIDE-based games.

But look for the GLIDE library extension G4A mentioned and disable it.

Actually, it's more complicated than that. If I just disable the glide libs, I get very bad pixelated graphics. If i start with glide libs, let CM crash, disable the glide libs, and then start CM again, I get better looking and smoother graphics. confused.gif Hopefully this is a known bug that has been fixed in the patch.

Looks like the 3DfxGlideLib2.x extension was the problem. Once I disabled it, and set my screen resolution to 640X480 everything worked fine. If I had the monitor at anything else other than 640x480 it would not be able to resync. Thanks for all your help.