Major Bug in CM:BB

Well, I fired up a QB and when I saw the setup there was a ton of water on the map edge, and three of the tanks were just setup on the water..sitting there..are they holy tanks?

Also, when tanks or other AFVs approach troops they just keep on going through the troops..in CMBO the troops would go around the tanks..now we just see the tanks plowing through the troops. On occasion the AFV will stop and waite for the troops..but more often than not the AFV just keeps on going. will the above be fixed at all?

Didn't the computer allow you to move the tanks during the setup?

Infantry really ought not to care about passing armor, since it's all abstraction. However you bring up a good point. I think infantry on the move don't care if armor is passing. Only stationary infantry may care if armor is moving over their position. I do not recall infantry on the move intentionally moving around armor. I think they moved straight through, even in cmbo.

Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

Well, I fired up a QB and when I saw the setup there was a ton of water on the map edge, and three of the tanks were just setup on the water..sitting there..are they holy tanks?

Also, when tanks or other AFVs approach troops they just keep on going through the troops..in CMBO the troops would go around the tanks..now we just see the tanks plowing through the troops. On occasion the AFV will stop and waite for the troops..but more often than not the AFV just keeps on going. will the above be fixed at all?

Already in CMBO tanks were moving through infantry troops. And BTW, I really would prefer if they would do so with other vehicels. This would solve all the stupid traffic jams (BTS missed to add some kind of convoy command) and could be easily explained with 'abstraction'.

Originally posted by Scipio:

Already in CMBO tanks were moving through infantry troops. And BTW, I really would prefer if they would do so with other vehicels. This would solve all the stupid traffic jams (BTS missed to add some kind of convoy command) and could be easily explained with 'abstraction'.

This is a really good point. There are some conceptual contradictions in CM which lead to bizarre and unrealistic effects. One of them is the 'traffic jam' problem, where vehicles don't adjust to their surroundings until the very last second. Then they plot new moves and can keep getting into conflicts with each other etc etc ad infinitum. In itself, some amount of traffic jams can be realistic, but the way it plays out in the game is absurd.

Now since vehicles already don't block LOS, and we are supposed to swallow that abstraction, it might very well be better to go the whole hog and let vehicles move through each other as well, until such time as the plotting AI is an order of magnitude smarter.

[ September 25, 2002, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Originally posted by CMplayer:

it might very well be better to go the whole hog and let vehicles move through each other as well,

But that would eliminate pushing an immobilized vehicle, which I have used to great effect in the past. I'm sure there would be some bitching about it either way.