Random QB: Hungary vs Russians Mar 45

I was surprised to see this matchup given the date. I don't know too much about Hungary in WW2 so I did some research.

Hungary joins the Axis, November 20, 1940

Hungary conquered by Germany, March 19, 1944

Hungary declares war on Germany, January 21, 1945 (???????)

Soviet forces occupy Budapest, Hungary, February 13, 1945

Confused? Well, it seems there were still Hungarian divisions operating right up untill the end of the war (including SS based formations). Many fled to Austria to surrender to the US/UK. It is strange to think that a country like Hungary would keep fighting with the Germans to the end when their own country had been occupied by the Russians. Must have been deranged hardcore Nazi fanatics perhaps.

Can anyone clarify any of this apparently confusing history? :confused:

Cheers

Lt Bull

PS: Didn't mention how surprised I was to see the AI unit picked Hungarian "tanks" for the battle: the Toldi with a 40mm gun, 35mm armor max..hmmm...not the kind of "tank" I would expect to see in Mar 1945, especially when you are up against Shermans!

The Russians took Budapest in January of '45, in February the Germans launched operation Konrad which had many Hungarian reserves.

Hungarians fought more for Hungary than Germany in the last days of the war, and I don't think all of Hungary was every conquered by the Russians, just Budapest. Because Operation Spring Awakening (Lake Balaton Offensive) in March of 1945 included many Hungarian units and was meant to re-capture Budapest. Like Konrad it failed..but none the less..I don't think ALL of Hungary was ever captured by the commies.

Hi!

Well I'm a hungarian, so I can tell how it went. Budapest was captured early february. The soviets did set up a new goverment so as long the war raged in our land we had 2 goverments. Both were puppet goverments, but the one supported by the germans (Szálasi) were very cruel even with our own people. The one made by the soviets did not really matter until end of the war (of course they did declared war on germany). Hungary was captured by the soviets, not in april 4. 1945 as they said for 40 years (in took a bit more to take hungary, until about april 15th). They even took large parts of Austria.

Some hungarian troops did fight with the germans until the bitter end. The soviet made hungarian goverment began to raise troops, but I think they were never used against the germans (war ended before they were completely formed).