US artillery battery size

Heya,

This one is for all the experts out there:

In WW2, How many guns had a standard US 105mm artillery battery?? (In a standard Field Artillery regiment form an stanard infantry Division)?

Same question for the 155mm artillery battery.

thanks

gr

Screeny

I'm working from memory, but I think this is right (grogs please correct if I'm wrong).

There were six 105mm in an artillery battery. Three batteries made a battalion of 18 howitzers. There were three 105mm battalions in a US infantry div (normally assigned one to each regiment). Then there was another battalion of 18 155mm guns (3 batteries of six.) Plus each regiment had a 75mm cannon company.

There were also usually several battalions of heavy guns and howitzers, as well as heavy mortars, at the Corps level that could be assigned to support key attacking or defensive roles. That's where you'd find 8" inch guns, etc.

There are several old threads that go into this in considerable detail, so you might want to do a search for those.

According to George Forty's "US Army Handbook," as of 15 July 1943 there were four 105mm guns in each battery of the three light artillery battalions and four 155mm guns in each battery of the medium artillery battalion. All battalions had three firing batteries. In contrast to the infantry division structure, the armored field artillery battalions used six-gun batteries. Cheers.