Request for BTS on Operations sizes in the patch....

Can you allow it so that operation maps can be as

small as battle maps?

I'd like to do some operation depicting

stalingrad city fighting, to depict how

scores of blood was shed over such

insignificant locations as a house,

but the limitations of operations to

a map 1200m by 250m really puts a

crimp in it.....

That, and the fact that older systems wouldn't

be capable of handling an operation on such a

scale without coughing heavily......

What I'd like to be able to do is show the

fighting on a scale of several city blocks

over several days, rather than half the

city of stalingrad...

[ September 27, 2002, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Ryan Crierie ]

I really wanted something like this too, back for CMBO. I guess I should have voiced my opinion before CMBB got this far along ;)

Not only do I not want to play over such a large distance always, but I don't want to have to BUILD that large a map where only a very small portion is of any relevance.

Originally posted by Ryan Crierie:

Can you allow it so that operation maps can be as

small as battle maps?

I'd like to do some operation depicting

stalingrad city fighting, to depict how

scores of blood was shed over such

insignificant locations as a house,

but the limitations of operations to

a map 1200m by 250m really puts a

crimp in it.....

That, and the fact that older systems wouldn't

be capable of handling an operation on such a

scale without coughing heavily......

What I'd like to be able to do is show the

fighting on a scale of several city blocks

over several days, rather than half the

city of stalingrad...

I would love to see this myself. I will add that, if you are careful with smoke and such, you can get a 1400x800 map running reasonably smoothly on a 64mb graphics card.

WWB

PS: That map I am working on is but a pinprick in that sprawling city.

[ September 27, 2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: wwb_99 ]

I'm playing a Large Operation right now and it seems pretty nice, but smaller ones would be nice too.

Hey, why don't one of us create some and have them contributed to some CM website? I don't think that we can realistically expect BTS/BFC to make them for us. We have all the necessary tools right in front of us. I'm going on a vacation trip soon so it will be a while before I can make one. As soon as I get back....

Good luck!

I did 2 of the ops on the CD, and both of mine are on the smaller, manageable size scale. Dergratschi Roadblock is actually a medium battle, but was bumped up due to some conditial reinforcements. It can be played solo in an afternoon.

Long Day's March is slightly larger, but very fluid and is also quite manageable in a weekend or so.

WWB

It sounds like, and maybe I'm just hearing wrongly in return, that there is some confusion. I'm not asking for someone to make small (points-wise) operations. I want to be able to do operations on smaller maps.

Like fighting over a village for several days without having to generate over a kilometer of terrain. Especially if the forces involved are small. Obviously it is less useful for ops where the intention is to push someone back, but for a static battle I think it would make sense.

Anyway, that's what keeps me from making operations. The closest I can come to doing that right now is to use the QB map import, which I'll probably try out.