!!!SPOILER!!!! FEAR IN THE FOG

Well I finally played it... I have heard so much great press about it, I had to give it a go, not that I wouldn't have eventualy anyway smile.gif

I will say I wish my computer support the fog effect (don't have an excellerator so I guess thats why) but it still mattered in how the game turned out... I think I may have identified three units!

So anyway how did It go for me?

I must say when the first enemy contacts began, I was realizing why it was called fear in the fog... My first contact of any kind was from some light armor sound contacts coming from the east.

I had read some stuff about this battle and knew it would be a nasty fight... I played as allies, and OH MY GOD!

Knowing it was going to be one of those fights where the enemy could be just about anywhere, I used more overwatch tactics than usual (leapfrogging) this meant it took me a few turns to get to the first objective bu hey it happens... So I hear a light tank or armor of some kind and with one of my platoons I snuck around the eastern side of map for a while hoping to spot a nice fat juicy armored anything for my infantry to kick in the balls... (I love using infantry to knock out armor... Heh it pisses the crew off a lot!) but to my surprise the first thing I ran into was about a company of germans... I sat for a turn hoping my guys could hole em off for a few turns so I could set up my defenses for the town. I foolishly got cocky with my sherman and just after it killed a halftrack a mysterious shot killed it from the east... I had spotted a stug III and was hoping to catch it with it's pants down as it was heading east when I last spotted it oddly enough... It took three or four turns before I realized it was a panther G! My lone platoon got it's ass spanked hard and I withdrew what was left to my now well protected town... I knew that one way or another that town was not going to be taken...

I imediately began calling in arty in the suspected hidey holes and stuck to my fav tactics... find a nice spot, even when attacking and pretend your the defender for a while... a few turns later after disheartening losses of airborne troops, the panther began to push for the other objective to the north... ALLL ALONE smile.gif

by the time I got there to stop it, my guys where tired and now coming under attack from infantry, So what airborne did it's job, and the panther was tamed by a gammon bomb up the poop shute... Heh who needs armor!

The fight in the norther forest was getting hairy, and I had to hastely set up a platoon in the woods on the northern side of the road of the objective flag. then the other comapany of reinforcements showed up and I spotted a nice fat 105 MM spotter in the pack... right to the highest building in town he went, and the northern forest became a blood bath for the germs... the stugg III tried to come to the aid of the infantry to the north, but oops, it didn't notice my nice little Bazooka team waiting for just such a manuever... first few rounds did jack, but thats ok, the Stugg III joined the panther in my long list of infantry armor kills (list is prolly bigger than armor vs armor!).

The germans at that point had to deal with my hell on caterpillar treads Sherman from that point on, and had no idea how to take it out like I would have...

By turn 25 it was merely mop up time...

the final score was 18 (germans) to 82 Allies... about 273 casualties for the axis OUCH! about 134 for me... (heh lick em hitler!)

Prolly the best part was the one unit I captured I moved into use as a human sheild for a house (yes you can move CAPTURED ENEMIES smile.gif my 105mm was going off everywhere and in his attempt to move to the human shield position, he got hit directly by a tree burst! ROFLMAO (rolling on floor laughing my ASS off...)

I must say this map was a HOOT and three hollers!

I think next time I'm gonna play it as either Axis, or allies with axis having +25% to see what happens.... Or maybe just put the Ai experience up a notch or two... It coulda had me with a little more care for it's tanks... Since I was hurting bad till my reinforcements arrived... (gotta love big arty of any kind)...

Guest Rommel22

I played this scnerio for the Germans. I just got to say, awsome scnerio and very chanlenging for the Germans. My panzerschreck came in very handy, even versus infantry.

------------------

Russian tactics as said by von Mellenthin "Bridge heads everywhere"

Thanks for the tip wild bill, As soon as y girlfriend goes home, I'll have to wait to play as germans, but come monday afternoon till wednesday early morning, I'll be playing CM as much as always...

I want to thank you again for such a cool map, So far it is one of the maps I plan to replay a few times...

The only one of my own I like so much is the one I'm working on to somewhat simulate a medium sized battle in the audie Murphey, movie... it's for a lone farm house, and once you get it as allies you have to keep it... heh... just to make it fair I had to change some of (ok a lot of) the unit balancing, cuz I can't simulate a war hero like Audie Murphey in the game just by changing a setting...

I'm also thinking of making a scenario from a bunch of other old movies like "walk in the sun", and a few lesser known modern ones, like Midnight Clear, when trumpets fade, ETC, heh maybe even a fictitious opperation or two to see what might have happened if axis had invaded britain!.

Well Hope they can do justice to the films... Seeing how your scenario's (wild bill's) play out has helped me a lot...

THANKS! smile.gif

Snow came and went in the Ardennes. At this point in the fighting, the snows were not that heavy. Thus to have the ground covered with snow on this date would have been innacurate. The heaviest snows came later in the year. Or so I have read.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

I'm quite sure they will Demangel! There are some good movies that could be emulated in this game.

Hell is for Heroes

Breakthrough

Battleground

The Bridge at Remagen

The Big Red One

The Victors

And when CM2 comes out on the Eastern Front, there have to be some Cross of Iron scenarios!

A lot of scenarios could come from

The Longest Day and A Bridge too Far

The game has the potential. Good luck with it!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com