New " BATTLE OF THE BULGE " mod ! ( large pics inside )

Guest Tom

Gentlemen,

after looking out of my window :D and after viewing the pics in that great " Battle of the Bulge - Then and Now " book I got the idea that european winters look a bit different then the usual " christmas card / Alaska style " CM winter setup suggests: Instead of peacefuly white snow we got...much mud and little snow ( I guess it was the same in the Ardennes 1944/45 ). OK , to make a long story short..here are the first preview pics of a coming " Ardennes " Mod including new bitmaps for the CM winter textures ( snow , tree bases , trees ,rough , bushes , roads , water tiles... sorry , no new buildings , cause I think Don´s " Panzertruppen " houses do a great job here ).

Let´s start with the first version of a " Green Winter " Terrain

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

What do you think ?

Cheers

Tom

[ January 30, 2002, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Tom ]

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

Very, nice concept. I'm definitely interested in it, and right now I'd be leaning toward "green", but not by much.

One comment, and it may or may not be an issue when you're finished, but the bare spots look a little too "linear", if you get my drift. It seems to be more pronounced in the "mud" pictures. I'm not sure what, if anything, can or should be done about it, but there you have it.

Nice job.

Gordon

Very nice! Perfect terrain to use for light snow battles and battles that occurred earlier in the Ardennes (before around the Dec 22 when it snowed pretty heavily). Up to that point it was varying mud, snow cover. Should really add to the realism factor. Can't wait to get this one and the one that Juju and Co. are working on. Finally some realistic winter terrain.

BTW, this should definately be a CMMOS mod. I would be glad to set it up for CMMOS.

looks very nice (the green winter I like it most)

I am spending two years for work in France/Swiss broder near Geneva. These days it has snowed wuit some, then it has rained. Well, it looks exactly like 'green winter" MOD.

I support a previous comment on having the impression of straight lines here and there. Make them disappear and post this MOD: it loos like I'll always will use it.

Thanks and great looking job

Tom, hi,

Having just got back from the Ardennes, the weather was identical to that of the battle nearly 60 years ago, I can confirm that your mods really do have the look of the real thing. Great job. I would suggest you realise them as is with a list of the other mods you use so we can all reproduce your look. Your mod really is by far, the most realistic European winter look. Looks just the same round me, south west of London, in the winter. But importantly, looks the same in the Ardennes.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. One can still see the foxholes occupied by Easy Company. Or if not Easy Company, then another compnay in the same regiment overlooking Foy. Looks very similar to the way it did in Band of Brothers.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gordon:

Tom,

One comment, and it may or may not be an issue when you're finished, but the bare spots look a little too "linear", if you get my driftGordon<hr></blockquote>

Talk about terrible puns, Gordon...

:D

In all seriousness, I like the linear look; it actual seems correct to me; we have pretty mild winters in Calgary, and the snow tends to melt in open fields in much the same way - giving off kind of a linear look as seen there.

The winter in Holland was quite mild too - there was more to WW II combat in December 1944 than the Ardennes - and this terrain would be perfect for a number of regions and timeframes.

The deep snow look is just too much; I can't believe how long after CM's introduction it is, and what a large leap in thinking this was - hard to believe no one thought of it yet, but there it is.