CM Mod Database --File Size and D/L Problems

Well, I've tried about 5 times each and still can't successfully download AndrewTF's SS winter uniform set, nor RKSoldat's yellow camo Opel. Either the operations aborts at about 80% or it goes to completion but there's nothing in the multi-meg archive to unzip.

I've only had this trouble so far with these 2 files. I'm not alone in this but there are many others who get these files no problem. So what's the deal?

The only theory I've come up with is that the size of these files (3.9 to 4.4 megs) is too big when I try to get them from this site with a 28.8k connection. I have no trouble at all with the smaller files, even up to 2.5megs or so. But there seems to be a critical size limit beyond which I can't succeed in downloading from the CM Mod Database. I have no idea why this would be the case, but that's the only thing that's consistent here.

So in the future, I ask modders to try, if at all possible, to limit their mod packages to something between 2 and 3 megs. Getting up around 4 megs seems too much for those of us still cursed with dial-up connections, at least at the CM Mod Database.

Originally posted by Bullethead:

[QB]Well, I've tried about 5 times each and still can't successfully download AndrewTF's SS winter uniform set, nor RKSoldat's yellow camo Opel. Either the operations aborts at about 80% or it goes to completion but there's nothing in the multi-meg archive to unzip.

I've only had this trouble so far with these 2 files. I'm not alone in this but there are many others who get these files no problem. So what's the deal?

The only theory I've come up with is that the size of these files (3.9 to 4.4 megs) is too big when I try to get them from this site with a 28.8k connection. I have no trouble at all with the smaller files, even up to 2.5megs or so. But there seems to be a critical size limit beyond which I can't succeed in downloading from the CM Mod Database. I have no idea why this would be the case, but that's the only thing that's consistent here.[QB]

I don't think I have any kind of timeout set on the HTTP sessions, but I'll check when I get home.

For now, try to d/l it tonight and tell me how many bytes were d/l'd and, more importantly, how much time did it take, before it terminated on you. The more info you can give me, the faster I can try to fix this. Sorry to cause you any problems...

COG

Bullethead, you've gotta be dedicated to get those mods a 28.8 smile.gif

A possiblilty is that your provider cuts you off if you have no activity after a certain amount of time, and the provider doesn't see the D/L as activity. I run into this occasionally even with a DSL conn - my provider cuts me off after 30 min. of "inactivity" unless I monitor and click to maintain the connection when the warning box pops up.

Have you tried any of the 3rd party D/L programs? There are several that will resume an interrupted D/L without you having to start over. That may be your best alternative.

- Old Dog

It's not a time-out problem. I have several times gotten demos of 200+ megs and I get 20+ meg patches and such all the time (if I leave it running all night). The only place I have a problem is the CM Mod Database, and the only files there I have trouble with are those of about 4megs or larger.

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

Did you try it again? I made some changes last night and I'm curious to know if it made a difference or not. Thanks.

COG

Right now I can't access the site, I keep having HTTP-500 internal server errors... :eek:

Never had d/l problems before, may be because I'm on ADSL ;) </font>

Originally posted by SaTyR:

I've downloaded all my addons through this site, sad that it's having problems (remember the Proving grounds... I admit that I'm a bit scared, wouldn't like to see this one go aswell).

Don't worry, it's not a bandwidth issue. The database that stores the mods has become corrupt. I'll have to fix it when I get home. Sorry it's going to be down all day...

COG

Master--see link on post immediatley above yours.

Last night I was able to download the 4+ MB uniform file for the first time on my dial-up connection. Thanks for the fix. However, the site appears to be down this morning. Hope it's not a major problem.