43.45s still don't work

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, you seem to be one of a very select few that aren't having any issues with the drivers. IMHO, ATi have stepped up a gear and have sorted out a lot of issues with their drivers. The support they offer is now better than Nvidia, if you take a look at Rage3d.com you'll see my point. The 9700 is the best card on the market, and it sure beats anything Nvidia can throw it's way, even the new GFFX.. I'm using the Non-pro as it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Pro variant for slightly less speed. But I've used many many different cards in the past, and I still use a Geforce4 GO in my laptop so I can make comparisons. Also, FWIW, CMBO and CMBB look much better with the 9700 than the do with the Nvidia chipset, bar the fog.

We were hoping that Nvidia would resolve the FSAA and framerate issue with these new official drivers. Obviously that hasn't happened so we are again talking with them to see if something can be done either on there end or perhaps on ours to get this resolved.

Currenly we can only fully endorse the 30.82 or 30.87 series drivers. By modifying the .inf file that comes with them you can get these drivers to work with a GeForce 4 card.

If you don't mind disabling FSAA then the 41.09 drivers also perform well.

These drivers can be located on Nvidia's website under their Driver Archive section.

For XP/2000:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive

For 95/98:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=win9x_archive

Madmatt

[ March 31, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Madmatt:

I really hope something can be done. I say this for a couple reasons:

1. I enjoy playing the CM games immensely and want to be able to continue doing so for a long time.

2. The other reason is I want BF to be able to continue to sell games that people can play so that you will be able to make more CM games! smile.gif

Thank you for you attention to this issue. *fingers crossed*

Best Regards,

Jordan

Astro:

I echo your sentiments. To be fair, Matt (and BFC as a whole) have been beaten up on this issue a fair amount....and I've been one of the bashers. They've attempted to persuade nVidia to fix the issue within their drivers, but those requests have gone unheeded.

Unfortunately, the "fix" in BFC's code (Matt would be loathe to call this a fix....grin) will have to wait until the new CM engine is developed.

Unfortuantely, it means that many of us (as Phil eloquently put it) will be weighing the decision to abandon playing CMBB in order to run the latest drivers. When I do decide to make that leap, it will sadden me, as I truly relish the CMBx games....

It is a testament to the quality of Battlefront's game that has me still using 30.82 drivers. I'm glad to hear Battlefront responding about the problems with the latest Detonators and I really hope some solution can be found that allows us to enjoy both technological progress and CMB O/B. I also would be saddened to give up CMBB and I think I'll wait a bit longer before moving on with the newer drivers, but after so many months of waiting, I don't think I'll wait much longer.

As another post noted, it can only help the longevity of the CMBB product if a way can be found to allow it to run on the latest hardware.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

This must be just a Windows 2000/Windows XP issue.

I installed the latest 43.45 drivers last Friday on my Windows Me machine at home. 4xS FSAA, 8x filtering with texturing sharpening and I was getting 30-50 FPS (depending on trees, doo-dads, etc.). These were similar results that I had with the 41.09 drivers as well, with the 43.45 drivers being slightly faster by about 3-5 FPS in similar situations.

My specs:

Windows ME

Leadtek Geforce4 Ti4600 w/ 128MB

Athlon XP 1800+ (OC'ed to XP 2000+)

512MB DDR SDRAM

BTW, it looks beautiful with virtually no "shimmer" on the textures with all the FSAA goodies on. MUCH better looking compared to the 30.82 drivers.

So those who are having no problems like me (no framerate issues, missing text, etc.), are you also Windows 98/Windows ME?

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

This must be just a Windows 2000/Windows XP issue.

I installed the latest 43.45 drivers last Friday on my Windows Me machine at home. 4xS FSAA, 8x filtering with texturing sharpening and I was getting 30-50 FPS (depending on trees, doo-dads, etc.). These were similar results that I had with the 41.09 drivers as well, with the 43.45 drivers being slightly faster by about 3-5 FPS in similar situations.

My specs:

Windows ME

Leadtek Geforce4 Ti4600 w/ 128MB

Athlon XP 1800+ (OC'ed to XP 2000+)

512MB DDR SDRAM

BTW, it looks beautiful with virtually no "shimmer" on the textures with all the FSAA goodies on. MUCH better looking compared to the 30.82 drivers.

So those who are having no problems like me (no framerate issues, missing text, etc.), are you also Windows 98/Windows ME?

Thats a good question. To date my testing has all been done on XP and other people that reported this to me were also on XP. Any 95/98/ME people out there with a GeForce card want to test the new drivers out and see if they also get the slowdowns?

Madmatt

I am running with 41.09 without FSAA on one machine and 30.87 with FSAA on another. Both machines run Combat Mission great. The 30.87 machine is a 2 gig processor with 1.5 GB of 2100 RAM and the other machine is a 2.17 gig processor with 1 GB of 2700 RAM. Both machines have an NVIDIA GForce 4600 card. Both machines are Windows XP Pro.

Looking at all of the posts, I guess my question is, "What's the problem?"

BTS has already stated that the problem lies with the NVIDIA drivers and they also have stated which drivers to use that currently work best with the game. They have also contacted NVIDIA about the issues with their drivers.

Are the posters to this topic concerned that their other software won't run at it's best without the latest drivers?

Ok, I'm under the table now, you can start throwing things...

Jack:

If all one ever wants to di on their PC is run CMBB....AND....one's PC / Vid Card combo can run CMBB-optimal drivers....THEN life is good.....but if one has need to run newer drivers for performance (with other software) and/or system compatability reasons, then life is not so simple......

Gallagher - What other software are you running on your machine that just won't run with 30.87 or 41.09 NVIDIA drivers? I mean really, we're talkin Combat Mission here!

I understand your last post and stated that this may have been the reason in my previous post. Could you be more specific about the other software that won't run with the older version of the NVIDIA drivers?

Jack:

Not so much a question of games not running as it is getting better performance (both in FPS as well as graphics quality) that newer versions of the nVidia drivers provide. For example, reference Sitz's posting in this thread re better graphics for CMBB under newer drivers, albeit under Win ME.

Other poor souls cannot run their newer vid cards at all under older drivers and are more SOL than those of us who are just looking to improve their performance. Right now I am still willing to make the trade off and stick to the older drivers so as to run CMBB (am committed to a couple of PBEMs). After those games are finished I may need to revisit that trade-off.

Just as there are no easy answers for some of users, there are no easy answers for BFC either. They want to do the right thing, but unfortuantely there's no easy short term solution for them, other than to hope that sooner or later nVidia changes their approach to fix the flaws in their drivers....but all empirical evidence is that they won't.

..Just to jump in here. I bought myself a lovely Ti4800SE card last month to find that I couldn't use it with the 30.87 drivers even with the reg hack. So I had to make do with the 41.09's which worked, albeit without AA - Which at the end of the day ruined it for me. You look at smoke in the game without AA. It looks naff. I flogged it to a mate.

So I then bought a 9700 NP, which again works perfectly well with everything else I play, other than CMBB. I have to disable AA and there is no fog, even with the latest cats/Omega drivers. It's swings and roundabouts for me. So annoying as CMBB is a totally awesome game.

Yeah. Gotta concur, this whole thing has gone a little sour. At this point, I could damn well build a seperate CMBB box out of the spare parts I've replaced trying to solve this problem...

"Currenly we can only fully endorse the 30.82 or 30.87 series drivers. By modifying the .inf file that comes with them you can get these drivers to work with a GeForce 4 card."

Can someone please post a link for the .inf fix for 30.82 drivers w/GF4 cards? Searched couldn't find it... thanks.

[ April 03, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

Gallagher - I see what you mean about some of the latest and greatest NVIDIA cards not running 30.87. I'm not sure if some of the latest cards out are able to run 41.09? If not then those individuals that have the newest NVIDIA cards are really in a bind.

I tried to run 30.87 with my newest EVGA GForce 4600 8XAGP card and it doesn't like it. This forced me to use the 41.09 driver for this card and lose FSAA.

I had to laugh when I read the post above about someone being able to build a machine from spare parts from upgrading the PC so often. I built a games machine from scratch just to play Combat Mission. The existing machine I had I upgraded just about every component in it so it would play CM without too much delay.

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Gallagher - I see what you mean about some of the latest and greatest NVIDIA cards not running 30.87. I'm not sure if some of the latest cards out are able to run 41.09? If not then those individuals that have the newest NVIDIA cards are really in a bind.

I tried to run 30.87 with my newest EVGA GForce 4600 8XAGP card and it doesn't like it. This forced me to use the 41.09 driver for this card and lose FSAA.

I had to laugh when I read the post above about someone being able to build a machine from spare parts from upgrading the PC so often. I built a games machine from scratch just to play Combat Mission. The existing machine I had I upgraded just about every component in it so it would play CM without too much delay.

In a strange way, I'm putting off upgrading for the reasons I'm reading above. Currently got a 800mhz Athlon with a 32mb GeForce 2 card and CMBB runs okay, just... but I've got to say I won't be upgrading until these problems are sorted... I don't want to waste money when CMxx is the main game I play.

Alex

Yeknodathon - Just wanted to respond to your last post. I built from scratch a $2000 games machine just for CMBO/CMBB. If you know what to buy, you can effectively upgrade your existing situation and play Combat Mission. I wouldn't worry too much about the NVIDIA drivers.

I understand what these fellas are saying about the driver situation but in my opinion it is blown out of proportion. CM will work with NVIDIA cards running with slightly dated drivers.

Don't be a slave to the latest and greatest mentality. Upgrade your machine and enjoy the game.

Once again, just my opinion.

So, I loaded up the 43.45 drivers with my Ti4600 and Win98SE config, and all seems to be well. No AA or AN working within the CMBB enviorns, but not suffering the XP framerate slowdown.

Still getting PBEM locks, and occassionally the same w/single player, but I'll spare you the novella...

Hpt. Lisse

Okay, even though this thread is growing and many other threads are dealing with the same issues, I hope someone can still give me some advice.

I have the same card the user Nick Schieben has ( Asus GE4 Ti4200 ) and I also am having absolutely NO problems with CMBO or CMBB under Win XP (driver version 31.40??).

HOWEVER, I recently purchased a new racing game and the game crashes badly. I have not contacted their tech support yet but I'm guessing the first thing they will want me to do is to upgrade my video drivers.

So two questions -

1) I'm not entirely confident I of which Nvidia driver version I'm using. I check the version on the drivers and it says "6.13.10.3140". Does that mean I'm running version 31.40 as opposed to the recommneded 30.87 or 41.09? I'm a littel confused because I've read nothing about this version on these forums.

2) What are the chances if I upgrade to the later vid drivers that my CM games will continue to work flawlessly? Sounds like slim to none but I'm a little more optimistic since another user reports no problems with the same card I'm using. Am I pretty much guaranteed to lose a playable CM?

Thanks for any help or advice.