43.45s still don't work

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I just installed CMBB after not having played it in a few months, and now I'm finding that my frame rates are a slide show. 2.5fps sounds about right. Am I experiencing the same thing you guys are?

AMD Athlon XP 2400

512mb Corsair PC2700

A7N8X Deluxe motherboard (Nforce2 2.03)

Geforce 3 with 43.00 drivers.

Hmmmm... is there anything I can do?

It's pretty bad really that there is no resolve for this. Im ny case anyway. I bought a new Nvidia card just for CMBB to find that the drivers I had to use with it didn't play well. It was a 4800SE and the best drivers for CMBB (30.87's) didn't acknowledge my card at all. I had to make do with later drivers, which were fine for everything else (except the game I bought the card for :rolleyes: ). So I managed to ditch the card, and sold it to my mate, and then went and bought an ATI 9700. A top performer this card, in everything except for CMBB.. Arse. Quite comical really.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

What about the speed issues. AA is nice, but fps down in the 2.5 range is a game killer.

WWB

Still terrible. I tested 30.87s, 41.09, and 43.45 on the following system:

P4 1.8@ 2.4ghz

Abit BE-7

256mb Corsair XMS 3200

Gainward Ti4600 slightly overclocked

CMBB scenario: B&T Pride of the Luftwafee

Results: 30.87s are still tops in everything. AA works and has the best framerates. My framerates varied from 40fps to 70fps. 41.09s are next best with no AA and similar framerates. 43.45s are just atrocious. During setup i had around 2 fps. During gameplay it improved to 10-15fps.

Summary: Stick with 30.87s.

I'll put up 3dMark2001SE scores in a bit to see how they do in other games.

So, what you are saying is basically...

If I ever want to upgrade my graphics card from a Geforce 4 with 30.82 I will never be able to play CM games again.

This to me seems like a serious problem BF needs to resolve, otherwise they will be in trouble selling copies of the CM games as people over time upgrade to faster graphics cards.

I really hope BF resolves these issues because I play CM to death and would love to continue to do so for a long time as well as be able to move on in technology over the next year or so.

fingers crossed!

Jordan

Too bad that with each driver revision things get worse for CM. I've been running 30.82 drivers for a while now and I'm getting a bit tired of waiting for a workable set of new drivers. I hope CM ages well as technology moves forward, but so far things don't look all that great.

It depends how easily satisfied you are. If you're prepared to run with old cats, and accept no fog, and no AA, it's fine :rolleyes: It's annoyed me so much I've uninstalled the game. I just can't play it like it is. It used to be fine with 'old' hardware. ie, My GF3, and 30.87's but we can't live in the past can we. I even bought two copies of the game. The AF looks to dogs however, and if you're prepared to accept no fog, and no AA then it plays like a dream, just without the eye candy that we're used to.

ggallagher:

Well, I hope BF has made enough sales to support the development of the next engine, because eventually people will be unable to play either BO or BB in an acceptable manner.

I'm such a huge BF fan, I think that's why this bums me out so much! smile.gif:(

I've been seriously giving thought to shelving CM and going ahead with technology upgrades in the hope that CM will "catch-up" later. I love CM, but I'm starting to think that my computer needs and the vast majority of my other software titles would be better served by upgrading.

:(

Months go by and nothing positive happens on the video driver front...

<shrug> I have a P4 2.53 and a GeForce 4 4800SE (which is just a fancy marketing name for an 8x 4400). Running the 43.00 drivers gives me acceptable non AA framerates to play... It doesn't have the beauty (or the smoothness) of having AA on, but @ ~20 frames on large or busy maps, it's good enough to plot turns and watch the action.

NVidia is 'not bad' at fixing things and I'm fairly confident this will be fixed. Problem with NVidia is that they tweak so much that they often break new things with their tweaks.

I think you'll be waiting forever for decent drivers that work completely with CMBB. The last several variants of the dets have not worked properly. Nvidia are working on 50.xx series Dets now and will be releasing these this year some time but even they aren't promised to 'fix' the problems associated with CMBB. One can only hope. Until then, I doubt I'll be playing it much. :(

Alright! I'm getting the impression from reading this thread that CMBB is running like a pig with newer dets and these problems are rendering it unplayable for Nvidia card users. Not for me!

I'm using an Asus Ti 4200 with 4XS AA turned on, and my card overclocked to 275 x 550. I'm using the 43.45 dets. My CPU is a modest 1.4 MHz Athlon with 512 of RAM and I have an SB Live/value. I'm using Win XP Pro. I recently took a half houir to run a repair/install since XP tends to get porked once in a while when updating drivers, adding new packages and such.

The new drivers have slowed the scrolling noticeably with large maps, but not enough to cause a problem for me, and I <CTL> <ESC> a couple of times so I can see text on white backgrounds properly. I don't mind doing this for runing CMBB, since my settings work really nicely with IL-2 FB, the only other game I bother with.

If anyone is encountering major Nvidia det problems enough to stop them playing CMBB, then I'd suggest it's time to "refresh" your installation and have enough patience to apply the minor tweaks that I use, and certainly have no problem with. I'm sure, with enough time and patience, these issues will be sorted out by the respective parties, but there is presently no way that they can detract from the immense pleasure I derive from playing CMBB.

In closing, I don't wish to sound like a sycophant, but just want to put things in perspective.

Regards

Nick, I don't want to sound disrespectful but I know what I'm doing regards installations and such like. I'm MCSE qualified and I've been in the industry for ten years now. I started with a commodore 64 and have worked my way right up to my latest, a Vapochill system - 2.53ghz overclocked to 3.29ghz running at 175fsb and -10 degrees smile.gif

I never had major problems with the old kit running CMBO - it's just you can't sit still with hardware and respectful drivers - certainly not in the industry I'm in and all I have done is upgraded a few times and now it doesn't work as you'd expect, no matter how many times you format c: I can do all the fudges in the world to get it running, and believe me, it works fine, it's just I want it running how it should run, looking how it was designed to look, and played how it should be played. I'm not asking for much. The problems are driver associated. Sure you can switch in and out of the app and disable AA but I don't want to. I don't need to for the other games I play.

I've just purchased a 9700, and once again formatted as you do for a complete overhaul, and it works fine if you're prepared to accept no AA and no fog.

Oh yes, the MCSE - I had to do it again for Win2K and I looked back on 10 years of IT work a couple of years ago. But I'm a CISSP in IT security now so perhaps I'm not so up-to-date smile.gif Phil, I respect your opinions.

Anyways, as I said I'm using FSAA 4XS, and IMHO CMBB never looked better, especially with the CMMOS mods. I'm PBEMing Der Manstein Kommt, and I've found no reason to go back to the previously released drivers. I don't really understand your woes since I'm not experiencing any of that at all, apart from a minor slowdown. Just my opinion, but I'd rather go hunting in the Ozarks in a tutti than buy an ATI card after getter burned with their, at the time, appalling driver support. From what I hear, things haven't changed much.

I don't want to detract from anyones findings, especially if they're having trouble. Just as a sanity check - I'd be curious if anyone else is running with the 43.45 dets and not finding any major problems with CMBB. Or am I just an isolated case and a bit crazy? smile.gif

Regards