What the Rags are saying about CMBB

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Amputated Mullet

ROTFL!!!

Living 20 minutes south of Barrie, Ontario -- mullet capital of the free world -- I'm going to have that vision in my head now. Thanks Silvio. I'll blame you if I get lumped my a mullet-wearing goon for laughing in his face hysterically. It took me years to build up my laugh threshold which you've now just destroyed with two words.

Cheers,

Jason

Yes, I would like my Allied Airborne troops to be able to eventually acquire Laser Rifles and Light Sabre's!! smile.gif

I am presuming that this reviewer is Young in age and enjoys playing fantasy games. He does not understand reality games.

In fact, with Scenarios a player can continue on through different battles, just not with the QB.

Regards,

Voxman

Originally posted by laxx:

------

http://www.thediscworld.co.uk/combat2.htm

"Unfortunately, whilst the game is undoubtedly more polished there are still some glaring omissions such as the lack of a proper campaign in the game. It would have been nice for example; to play through a campaign where you’re units are carried over to the next level gaining in experience as you progress. Another slightly annoying feature is the lack of weapon upgrades meaning you have to put up with whatever you’re given for each level. Apart from these problems Combat Mission 2 is still a lot of fun to play through if you’ve got the patience."

Ratings: 71%, "Too Similar to the Original"

[ December 02, 2002, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Voxman ]

Hi,

I think you have some valid points. In fact, one reviewer was making fun of the way the soldiers looked.

However, I am hopeful CM3 with the CMII engine will take care of the poor graphics issues.

I have given up on Ampulmet's, they are pretty much useless as far as I can see smile.gif

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

Well after 2 months with the thing I can say that I'm not too happy with it. They ( BFC ) charge an arm & a leg for it and I spend 3/4 quarters of the time downloading either mods or patches. Case in point: the Sdkfz. Flak truck problem was not fixed with the patch. I had to download Mike 8 g's mod to fix it. The ampulmet or whatever the hell is still looks like a cigarette! Before anyone starts saying that I'm whining ( eg. Dorosh ) , I'm not!! For over $80.00 CDN I think that I have a right to expect better quality than this. :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

GI COMBAT ALSO LETS YOU USE THE AMULOMULET IN THE INDIRECT AND ANTI-AIRCRAFT ROLE. THE PIECE OF **** THAT BATTLEFRONT FOISTED UPON AN UNKNOWING PUBLIC DOESN'T DO THAT. IF BFC EVER LETS US SHOOT DOWN AIRPLANES WITH MOLOTOV COCKTAILS THE WAY THAT GI COMBAT DOES, MAYBE THEY'LL DESERVE A DECENT REVIEW...AND ROB MURRAY'S MONEY!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ah but doe the amulomulet (isn't that a haircut?) come with a tripod.

I STAND ALONGSIDE MAJ KONG!!!

Originally posted by laxx:

[QBhttp://de.games.yahoo.com/021026/247/31c5z.html

German Site: Systran Tanslation: "Opinion: Equal in front, with "Combat mission 2" will be CDV its call, a Publisher for Hardcore Zocker, again once fully fairly. The play is absolutely suitable for beginners, but for hard core stepping gene an absolute hit more realistically and better can one battles on the PC probably hardly transfer. Who loves such plays therefore from "Combat mission 2" for a very long time to the display bound, and with an enormous fun factor. For such players is the Game therefore almost must. Owing to the enormous play depth "Combat mission 2" develops an enormous long-term motivation despite its high requirement. But as said: Beginners should make a far elbow despite an adjustable degree of difficulty around the play."

QB]

Lol, I gave it go. Maybe it makes more sense:

Right from the start: With Combat Missian 2, CDV lives up to the reputation of being a publisher for hardcore gamers. This game is not suitable at all for beginners but a hit for hardcore strategy gamers. It´s impossible to portray battles on the PC in a better and more realistic way. Those who love these kind of games will be addicted to CM2 and the immense fun it provides. For this audience the game is almost a must-buy. Due to the immense depth CM2 will provide long-term motivation to continue playing it although it is difficult to master. The difficulty level can get adjusted but newcomers should stay clear of this title.

Nolloff

[ December 02, 2002, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

Originally posted by laxx:Hi,

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/october02/combatmissionpc/

"It seems to be on track with just the right amount of locations, unit types, and gameplay options, and the map and campaign editor should offer almost unlimited replay options. Military buffs might not have enough hours in the day. "

You listed the preview but not the review, which was one of the highest CMBB has recieved yet:

Gamespy

The Lowdown: Don't let the fact that this is a wargame fool you, this is one of the best games available on a PC (or Mac).
Rating: 94%

A hint for that CMBB reviewer who didn't get any weapons upgrades when he went to the next level: Look for the magic health crystal under the waterfall on level three!

Imagine if the guys a BFC HAD actually thrown in levels and auto-weapons upgrades and (heaven forbid) health crystals. It serves to remind you how terribly wrong this game could've gone if it got into the wrong hands.

PC Gamer (UK) gave CM2 'Game of Distinction December 2002' (Age of Mythology got game of the month)

Review is painstakingly copied out below, any spelling mistakes are mine.

This is an appeal on behalf of the Acute Militarisma Society. Sufferers of this debilitating and litte known condition are unable to partake of cinematic entertainment with military content without pointing out inaccuracies to companions. The innocent enjoyment of war movies like Kelly's Heros, Saving Private Ryan and Battle of Britain is cruelly denied them. Where we see Tiger tanks, they see heavily disguised Russian T34/85's. Where we see Messerschmitts they see swastika-sporting Spanish HA-1112-MIL Buchons.

The symptoms of AM can also be brought on by PC games and their packaging. Surprisingly, the successor to the most realistic WWII wargame ever caused terrible reactions across Europe. The trigger had nothing to do with the facts and figures behind CM2's incredible rnge of 3D units and thouroughl convincig combat algorithyms, but instead was tracable to the publisher's plan (thankfully now abandonned) to put an American GI on the box-lid.

Apart from the appearance of the odd Lend-Lease Sherman, Uncle Sam and the other Western Allies sit out this slow-paced but quick witted Eastern Front sequel. On the surface it seems little else has changed. Visuals benefit slightly from more polygons, higher res textures and 2D landscape decoration, but the fusty CMBO engine is still powering it all, meaning no dynamic lighting or volumetric smoke. I could wheel out most of the other things I griped about in 2000 (unimaginative presentation of scenarios and lack of a strategic layer and team monitor) and add a few new ones that have begun to grate in the interim (the inability to add waypoints for group movement and the way tanks don't obstruct LOS), but this would misleadingly skew a review of a game which delivers the most subtle tactical experience the PC can provide.

In CM2, carefully prepared plans are soething you wrap your sarnies in or hand on a nail in the latrine tent. The one thing you can be sure of in the 60 second non-intervention sequence that follows the orders phase is that Chaos & Calamity are waiting just around the next corner, just over the next ridge. A red-hot MG42 jams solid in the teeth of an Ivan infantry assault. A Panzer platoon is thrown into turmoil after the command vehicle crushes a mine. Ask too much from your men and, like birches bending under the burden of dead paratroopers, they will quiver and break.

A new suite of orders gives finer control over your fragile forces but also erodes elegance to a degree. In the past, Big Time Software have demonstrated a pleasing distain for micromanagerial excess but this stand appears to have weakened slightly in CM2. Though new tank orders like 'hull down' (vehicle seeks a position where it can engage a target with only its turret visible) and behaviours like automatic unbuttoning (commanders open their hatches on their own initiative) actively reduce mollycoddling, when faced with a choice between eight modes of infantry movement I do find myself hankering after simpler times.

Of course, theres no pressure to make use of the extra, fussier, commands right away. It's a testament to the extraordinary shrapnel sharp AI that it's possible (but not easy) to win CM2 battles through inspired use of the 'Fast Move' order alone. Left to their own devices, friendly troops select their own targets, outgunned AFVs scuttle for cover, and more gung-ho units forgotten in the rear move up in search of action. If your tired of playing the role of omnipotent puppetmaster in your strategy games and want instead to experience something of what its like to marshall men whose notions of duty are entangled with visions of homecoming, then this is the title for you. The sense that combatants are fashioned from fallible flesh and bone is nicely enhanced by the new 'death clock' feature whereby gunners pound away at targeted tanks until they see smoke or evacuating crew (Previously they knew immediately when a knockout had occured). A few extra shells and seconds spent confirming a kill might seems unimportant but in CM2 the whole complexion of a battle can change in the time it takes for you to poke your head above the parapet and say "If I was a sniper, I'd be up there in that chur.."

Definable cover arcs are another welcome innovation, eliminating as they do the rare but annoying losses in CMBO caused when tank commanders forgot threats once they'd disappeared from view. Other action related changes are in themselves fairly small but combine to conjure up the cut and thrust of WWII land warfare even more accurately and more compellingly than before. The closer you inspect the finely tooled innards of theis game the more impressive the workmanship is. You might notice that your Jagpanthers seem to hit hit their marks more regularly on frigid days. It could be coincidence but then again it ould be down to the fact that BTS have gone to the trouble of modelling the effects of air temperature on Axis tank optics.

AP shells in most other strategy games slowly chip away at stamina bars. In CM2 they ricochet, partially penetrate, they flake away internal armour, they kill crew, they detonate ammo - eviserating factory fresh vehicles in split seconds. Befitting a title that takes technical minutae so seriously the 60 scenarios and 10 multi-battle operations are all nicely historicised. Splendidly, the excellent quick abttle maker now allows you to contest home made maps as well as randomly generated ones. New terrain types like factories and cemeteries enhance but dont manage to make urban maps look much more naturalistic.

Though, inevitably, this is not the watershed that its predecessor was, its still a towering tactical triumph and the very few games recommended by both PC GAMER and the cash strapped (please send what you can) Acute Militarisma Society.

PC GAMER PROFILE

CM2 is: Cunning, Cursed with a poor demo, unsually bug free

CM2 is not: Simple, Sudden Strike, A huge steppe forward

Also worth a look: CMBO and Stalingrad (film)

86%

Review by Tim Stone

And just in time, The Wargamer has released a review of CMBB.

Link to review here!

Snippet from the press release:

The Wargamer (http://www.wargamer.com) has published its review of Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin from Battlefront.com. This real-time tactical and turn-based wargame has once again set the standard for wargames, and for its various improvements in both game design and effects over its predecessor, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, has been awarded The Wargamer's presitigous Award for Excellence. From Ciril Rozic's review comes this gem:

"First, it is plain that the game retained all of its predecessor's qualities. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin is easy to play, has attractive 3D graphics, the underlying calculations are immensely intricate, the AI is competent, and the parameters are highly adjustable. It is very nice that the program exhibits stability and runs acceptably on less than the most powerful computers. Second, this is a tremendous improvement over Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord and much more than just a conversion to another front. Playing the old game, I (and many other players) often asked why this or that thing wasn't made better. Big Time Software listened, and the new game is better."

Martin

Hey guys, what level are you guys on in CMBB? I suck since I wasn't aware there were levels.

Also, I plan on starting a petition to get upgrades. I want my Panthers and Tigers to be upgraded to Leopard 2A5's if I get enough victory points by 1944. I also demand the option to replace my stinkin' Mausers and MG42s with G11s and MG3s.

New review spotted on FiringSquad (85%).

Dschugaschwili

Update now that I have read it: Lots of screenshots, quite a long review. A few statements suggest that the reviewer is not the definitive wargaming grog, but I did not notice any really bad mistakes either. Considering that this review is probably aimed at the average PC gamer, I'd say it's probably good at generating some attention for the game.

[ December 03, 2002, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Dschugaschwili ]

I have been an on again off again viewer of FiringSquad for years. Overall they give fair reviews. An 85% is excellent coming from them. I consider FS to be site primarily for action type junkies, FPS, RTS, etc. They basically rave about how good it is. The same reviewer gave Medieval: Total War an 86%. If it makes you feel any better FS gave Unreal Tournament 2003 a 72%.

Originally posted by kking199:

I have been an on again off again viewer of FiringSquad for years. Overall they give fair reviews. An 85% is excellent coming from them.

Agreed. That's a truly excellent score for FiringSquad, which nitpicks even minor issues, and thoroughly plays games before reviewing.

I must say, Firing Squad Review had the best screenshots showcasing gameplay that I've seen so far.

And another thing, judging by the screenshots the author apparently did a much better job playing the scenario 'Battle of Minors' than I did!

. . .I spend 3/4 quarters of the time downloading either mods or patches. . .

ya'know, I have this problem too, but I'm not convinced that BTS is to blame. I wonder how wide spread this is. Does anyone know a good therapist? Or maybe psychopharmacology is the answer; could obsessive modding be caused by a genetically inhereted imbalance in some neurochemical like dopamine? Or then again, maybe we should start a 12-step program. ;)

The ampulmet or whatever the hell is still looks like a cigarette! Before anyone starts saying that I'm whining ( eg. Dorosh ) , I'm not!! For over $80.00 CDN I think that I have a right to expect better quality than this. :mad: :mad:

Well if you had a Mac you wouldn't have this problem, it doesn't look like a cigarette to me... haha. :D

[ December 05, 2002, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Quote Laxx 'Graphics Rich, Quite economical with words on the game play, coming from a wargaming site '

Thanks for the comments Laxx - I got carried away with the 'feel' of the game and glossed over gameplay on re reading. I will keep this in mind in future. My only excuse is time - I do his in my spare time and I wanted to get on and play the game :D

Looking for a PBEM opponent btw - see my post on the 'looking for opponents forum'

[ December 05, 2002, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: GWL_Tim ]